Conserved charge from Lorentz symmetry

In summary: So, to make sure you understand, I will repeat it: if you use J^{ \mu } as it is in the article, then you must use \delta \phi. If you use J^{ \mu } in the form we derived it in this thread, then you must use \delta^{ * }\phi. In summary, the general form of Noether's theorem states that the current is defined as J^{\mu} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\phi)}\delta\phi - T^{\mu\nu}\delta x_{\nu}, where \delta\phi(x) = \bar{\phi}(\bar{x}) - \phi(x
spookyfish
I am trying to derive the conserved charge from the symmetry of the action under Lorentz transformations, but I am doing something wrong.
Noether's theorem states that the current is
[tex]
J^\mu = \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)} \delta\phi - T^{\mu \nu}\delta x_\nu
[/tex]
For an infinitesimal Lorentz transformations
[tex]
\Lambda^\mu _\nu = \delta^\mu_\nu +\omega ^\mu_\nu
[/tex]
I get
[tex]\delta x_\nu = \omega_{\nu \sigma} x^\sigma, \quad \delta \phi = -\omega^\mu _\nu x^\nu \partial_\mu \phi [/tex]
This gives
[tex]
J^\mu = \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}(-\omega^\nu _\sigma x^\sigma \partial_\nu \phi) -T^{\mu \nu}\omega_{\nu \sigma} x^\sigma
[/tex]
where
[tex]
T^{\mu \nu} = \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)} \partial^\nu \phi -\cal L \eta^{\mu \nu}
[/tex]
so
[tex]
J^\mu = -\omega_{\nu \sigma} x^\sigma \left(2\frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\partial^\nu \phi - \cal L \eta^{\mu \nu} \right)
[/tex]
this is "almost" the correct form but I have this factor of 2 which is wrong. I will be happy to know where is my mistake

Physics news on Phys.org
spookyfish said:
I am trying to derive the conserved charge from the symmetry of the action under Lorentz transformations, but I am doing something wrong.
Noether's theorem states that the current is
[tex]
J^\mu = \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)} \delta\phi - T^{\mu \nu}\delta x_\nu
[/tex]
For an infinitesimal Lorentz transformations
[tex]
\Lambda^\mu _\nu = \delta^\mu_\nu +\omega ^\mu_\nu
[/tex]
I get
[tex]\delta x_\nu = \omega_{\nu \sigma} x^\sigma, \quad \delta \phi = -\omega^\mu _\nu x^\nu \partial_\mu \phi [/tex]
This gives
[tex]
J^\mu = \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}(-\omega^\nu _\sigma x^\sigma \partial_\nu \phi) -T^{\mu \nu}\omega_{\nu \sigma} x^\sigma
[/tex]
where
[tex]
T^{\mu \nu} = \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)} \partial^\nu \phi -\cal L \eta^{\mu \nu}
[/tex]
so
[tex]
J^\mu = -\omega_{\nu \sigma} x^\sigma \left(2\frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\partial^\nu \phi - \cal L \eta^{\mu \nu} \right)
[/tex]
this is "almost" the correct form but I have this factor of 2 which is wrong. I will be happy to know where is my mistake

Exactly what is it that you are doing here? You want to substitute stuff in a formula to get the same formula back?
The general form of Noether current is
[tex]J^{ \mu } = \frac{ \partial \mathcal{L} }{ \partial ( \partial_{ \mu } \phi ) } \delta \phi + \delta x^{ \mu } \mathcal{L} ,[/tex]
where [itex]\delta \phi ( x ) = \bar{ \phi } ( x ) - \phi ( x )[/itex]. When you rewrite the current in terms of the energy momentum tensor, you get
[tex]J^{ \mu } = \frac{ \partial \mathcal{L} }{ \partial ( \partial_{ \mu } \phi ) } \delta^{ * } \phi ( x ) - T^{ \mu }{}_{ \nu } \delta x^{ \nu } ,[/tex]
where now the variation in the field is given by
[tex]\delta^{ * } \phi ( x ) = \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) - \phi ( x ) = \bar{ \phi } ( x + \delta x ) - \phi ( x ) .[/tex]
When you expand to 1st order in [itex]\delta x[/itex] you find that the two variations are related by
[tex]\delta^{ * } \phi ( x ) = \delta \phi ( x ) + \delta x^{ \mu } \partial_{ \mu } \phi ( x ) .[/tex]
For scalar field [itex]\delta^{ * } \phi ( x ) = 0[/itex], this implies [itex]J^{ \mu } = -\delta x^{ \nu } T^{ \mu }{}_{ \nu }[/itex].

Last edited:
spookyfish said:
I understand what you say. How is it then consistent with
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/one.pdf
Eqs. (1.51) and (1.52)?

Very consistent. The field in (1.51) is a scalar field.
[tex]\bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) = \phi ( x ) , \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ \delta^{*} \phi = 0 .[/tex]
Use [itex]x = \Lambda^{ - 1 } \bar{ x }[/itex] and rename the coordinates [itex]x[/itex], (i.e. drop the bar from [itex]\bar{ x }[/itex]), you get [itex]\bar{ \phi } ( x ) = \phi ( \Lambda^{ - 1 } x )[/itex]. Now, if you expand this, as they did, you find that [itex]\delta \phi = - \delta x^{ \mu } \partial_{ \mu } \phi[/itex]

but why in my formula you use [itex] \delta^* \phi \equiv \phi'(x')-\phi(x) [/itex] and in the article it is [itex] \delta \phi = \phi'(x) -\phi(x) [/itex]?

spookyfish said:
but why in my formula you use [itex] \delta^* \phi \equiv \phi'(x')-\phi(x) [/itex] and in the article it is [itex] \delta \phi = \phi'(x) -\phi(x) [/itex]?
Look at it again. In the article, he uses the current which does not involve T, this is why he used [itex]\delta \phi[/itex]. If you want to start with the form of [itex]J^{ \mu }[/itex] which involves the tensor [itex]T^{ \mu \nu }[/itex], then you must use [itex]\delta^{ * }\phi[/itex], as I explained in my first post.

1. What is the concept of conserved charge from Lorentz symmetry?

The concept of conserved charge from Lorentz symmetry is based on the idea that certain physical quantities, such as electric charge and momentum, remain constant over time and space due to the fundamental principles of Lorentz symmetry. This symmetry refers to the invariance of physical laws under changes in the frame of reference or the orientation of the observer.

2. How does Lorentz symmetry relate to conservation laws?

Lorentz symmetry is closely related to the conservation laws of physics. This is because the symmetry implies that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference, which in turn leads to the conservation of certain quantities, such as energy, momentum, and angular momentum.

3. What are some examples of conserved charges from Lorentz symmetry?

Some examples of conserved charges from Lorentz symmetry include electric charge, color charge, and baryon number. These quantities remain constant in all inertial frames of reference, as long as there is no external force acting on them.

4. What happens if Lorentz symmetry is violated?

If Lorentz symmetry is violated, it would mean that the laws of physics are not the same in all inertial frames of reference. This could lead to the violation of conservation laws, as certain quantities may change over time and space in different frames of reference.

5. How do scientists test for violations of Lorentz symmetry?

Scientists use a variety of experimental techniques to test for violations of Lorentz symmetry. These include high-precision measurements of physical quantities, such as the speed of light and the properties of particles, as well as observations of cosmic rays and astronomical phenomena. Any discrepancies found between different frames of reference could indicate a violation of Lorentz symmetry.