Make a bridge out of popsicle sticks homework

In summary, there is a project to make a bridge out of popsicle sticks for a competition. The winning bridge will have the highest ratio of weight held to bridge weight. The specifications for the bridge include a road deck with a maximum thickness of 1 inch, length between 14 and 18 inches, and width of 6 inches. There are also options for a substructure and superstructure with specific dimensions. The bridge must have a hole in the center for threading onto a rod and a bolt. Some tips for winning the competition include designing the bridge in CAD and using Gorilla Glue as the adhesive. The materials allowed for the bridge include popsicle sticks and white/wood glue. The distance between the top and bottom chord
marshmallowchicken
Hey all,

I've got a project that I have to do. I have to make a bridge out of popsicle sticks. However, it's a competition and only the winner receives full credit. The bridge with the highest ratio of weight held to bridge weight wins.

Weight Held (Pounds)
------------------------- = Bridge Ratio
Weight of Bridge (Grams)

Here are the specs:

Road Deck
---Thickness: Max 1"
---Length: 14"<X<18"
---Width: Max 6"

Substructure (Optional)
---Depth: Max 3"
---Length: Max 14"

Superstructure (Optional)
---Height: No Max
---Length: Max 18"

There will be a whole in the center 3/8" to 1/2". The bridge will be threaded onto a rod followed by a small piece of wood (To even out the pressure a bit) and then a bolt.

-------...| |...-------
\.../...| |.Rod...\.../
.|...|....| |....|...|
.|...|.Supports...| |....|...|

Any ideas, suggestions, advice, or help is appreciated.

Regards,
marshmallowchicken

Physics news on Phys.org
A buddy of mine won one of these things (except with balsa wood) in his statics class. He attributed his win to two factors:

a) He designed the whole bridge in CAD.
b) He used Gorilla Glue as the adhesive.

Oh, sorry, I guess I forgot to post it.

Materials:
Posicle Sticks: No Max
White/Wood Glue

Also 2 of the large flat surfaces of popsicle sticks may not be glued together.

Thanks for trying at least.

Regards,
marshmallowchicken

One thing to remember is that the distance between the top chord and bottom chord of a truss type bridge needs to be maxed out in the middle. So, if you are only going to use a road deck for the structure, you only get 1" of separation. I would look at some sort of bow truss and be sure that the deck distrubutes the point lode along the entire truss.

Also, build the bridge to the minimum span. It appears that there is a maximum and minimum length. Find out the exact rules.

1. How do I start building a bridge out of popsicle sticks?

To start building a bridge out of popsicle sticks, you will need to gather all of your materials, including popsicle sticks, glue, and any other tools you may need. Then, you can begin planning and designing your bridge by creating a blueprint or following a set of instructions.

2. What type of glue should I use for building a bridge out of popsicle sticks?

The best type of glue to use for building a bridge out of popsicle sticks is wood glue. This type of glue is strong and dries clear, making it perfect for creating a sturdy structure with popsicle sticks.

3. How many popsicle sticks do I need to build a bridge?

The number of popsicle sticks you will need to build a bridge depends on the size and design of your bridge. Generally, you will need at least 50-100 popsicle sticks to build a small bridge, but larger bridges may require more sticks.

4. Do I need any special tools to build a bridge out of popsicle sticks?

No, you do not need any special tools to build a bridge out of popsicle sticks. However, you may find it helpful to have a pair of scissors or a craft knife to cut the sticks to the desired length.

5. Can I make a bridge out of popsicle sticks that can support weight?

Yes, it is possible to make a bridge out of popsicle sticks that can support weight. However, it is important to follow proper construction techniques and use enough popsicle sticks to ensure the bridge is structurally sound. You may also want to reinforce the bridge with additional materials, such as toothpicks or string, to make it stronger.