Terminal Voltage Battery 12V - 1.90A 6W Resistor

• Thread starter endeavor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the terminal voltage of a battery labeled as 12.0-V supplying 1.90 A to a 6.00-W resistor is 11.4 V and its internal resistance is 4.65 Ohms.
endeavor
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2593/physics26is.th.png
"A battery labeled as 12.0-V is measured to supply 1.90 A to a 6.00-W resistor (see figure). (a) What is the terminal voltage of the battery? (b) What is its internal resistance?"
I'm not sure how to solve this problem...

I originally did R = V/I = 6.32 Ohms, and E = 12V, so V = E - IR = 0... but that is obviously wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the resistor value is given in watts, which is a measure of power.

~H

Your method would work had the cell had negligible internal resistance .
Note that the battery is only marked 12V. This is not the actual voltage drop across the load resistance .
You can start off by finding the value of the resistor . It is given that current through the resistor is 1.90 A .
What is the relation connecting power and current ?

Then you must find what the value of a resistance connected in series should be , so that from the 12 V source, a current of 1.90 A is drawn. This is the internal resistance .
Now find the voltage drop across load resistor, this will be terminal voltage.
Can you follow ?

Edit : 6W may be the power consumed by the resistor when 1.9 A flows theough it .

P = I2R
R = 6/1.92 = 1.66 ohms
now what?
Then you must find what the value of a resistance connected in series should be , so that from the 12 V source, a current of 1.90 A is drawn. This is the internal resistance .
Now find the voltage drop across load resistor, this will be terminal voltage.
Can you follow ?
not really...:confused:

so...
[tex]I = 1.90A, P = 6.00W, V = 12V[/tex]

[tex]R_{load} = \frac{P}{I^2} = 1.66\Omega[/tex]

[tex]V_{emf} = 12V = I \cdot R_{total} = I \cdot R_{load} + I \times R_{internal}[/tex]

[tex]R_{internal} = 4.65\Omega[/tex]

but can't I just skip all that and do

[tex]V_{terminal} = I \cdot R_{load} = 3.16 V[/tex]

The answer is supposed to be 11.4 V...what am I doing wrong?:frown:

Last edited:
What you have done is completely correct . In your original question, it was asked to calculate the internal resistance as well as the terminal potential difference .And of course you should skip and use
[tex]V_{terminal} = I \cdot R_{load}[/tex].
However, from the answer that you have provided , it seems that in the question, it is given that the value of the resistance is indeed 6 ohms .
So you need not consider power at all and I am sure you can do the rest.
It is much simpler as compared to the question that we have been discussing .

Arun

so i guess it was a typo...

1. What is the purpose of a terminal voltage battery 12V - 1.90A 6W resistor?

The purpose of a terminal voltage battery 12V - 1.90A 6W resistor is to limit the amount of current flowing through a circuit, thereby controlling the amount of energy being used.

2. How does a terminal voltage battery 12V - 1.90A 6W resistor work?

A terminal voltage battery 12V - 1.90A 6W resistor works by creating a resistance in the circuit, which reduces the flow of current. This is achieved by using a material with high resistance, such as carbon or metal, in the resistor.

3. Can a terminal voltage battery 12V - 1.90A 6W resistor be used with any type of battery?

Yes, a terminal voltage battery 12V - 1.90A 6W resistor can be used with any type of battery as long as the voltage and current rating of the resistor is compatible with the battery.

4. Why is it important to use a resistor with a terminal voltage battery 12V - 1.90A 6W resistor?

Using a resistor with a terminal voltage battery 12V - 1.90A 6W resistor is important because it helps to protect the circuit and prevent damage from excessive current flow. It also helps to regulate the amount of power being used, ensuring the battery is not drained too quickly.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing a terminal voltage battery 12V - 1.90A 6W resistor?

When choosing a terminal voltage battery 12V - 1.90A 6W resistor, factors such as the desired voltage and current rating, the type of battery being used, and the overall power requirements of the circuit should be taken into consideration. It is also important to ensure the resistor can handle the wattage being produced by the circuit.