Someone is stealing gas from us

• Thread starter triden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary: There was over $600 worth of fuel in that tank that we now have to replace :frown:In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's family moving to a rural area where their family ranch is located, and discovering that someone has been stealing gas from their onsite fuel storage tank. The speaker's uncle received a message about an 18-year-old stealing gas from farmers in the area and the speaker's family is worried about the increasing crime rate in their once safe community. They discuss possible solutions such as installing a surveillance system and using door locks, but also joke about more extreme measures like mixing other substances with the gas or using a shotgun. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their hope that the thief will understand the impact of their actions
triden
My parents are in the process of moving out into a rural area of the city where our family ranch is located. Anyhow, the other day we go to fill up our tractor with the onsite fuel storage tank to find it drizzle EMPTY. The first thing we suspect is some hillbilly %^$* can't afford to buy gas so he steals it from us.

Now just the other day the uncle received a message on his answering service saying that there is a kid, about 18, driving back and forth at night stealing gas from all the farmers. It's a lucky thing he lives in Canada otherwise he would be shot dead. The sad thing is, ever since our family has moved up to this area about 100 years ago, we have never locked the doors or done anything to prevent crime. We've been robbed once or twice before, but it is getting worse and worse. I don't think the crime rate will ever stop degrading. It was a tradgic hit to my parents knowing that anything they leave outside isn't safe anymore. Now they are really scared because they are building a new house out there and there is no way to lock up a construction site. I hope people that steal like this understand what they are doing and how badly it can affect people. There was over $600 worth of fuel in that tank that we now have to replace :frown:

I guess it's time to spend some money on a surveillence system

Physics news on Phys.org
triden said:
My parents are in the process of moving out into a rural area of the city where our family ranch is located. Anyhow, the other day we go to fill up our tractor with the onsite fuel storage tank to find it drizzle EMPTY. The first thing we suspect is some hillbilly %^$* can't afford to buy gas so he steals it from us.

Now just the other day the uncle received a message on his answering service saying that there is a kid, about 18, driving back and forth at night stealing gas from all the farmers. It's a lucky thing he lives in Canada otherwise he would be shot dead. The sad thing is, ever since our family has moved up to this area about 100 years ago, we have never locked the doors or done anything to prevent crime. We've been robbed once or twice before, but it is getting worse and worse. I don't think the crime rate will ever stop degrading. It was a tradgic hit to my parents knowing that anything they leave outside isn't safe anymore. Now they are really scared because they are building a new house out there and there is no way to lock up a construction site. I hope people that steal like this understand what they are doing and how badly it can affect people. There was over $600 worth of fuel in that tank that we now have to replace :frown:

I guess it's time to spend some money on a surveillence system

If I were you, I'd throw some more gasoline in there with it unlocked.

Just be sure to mix some other ingredients in it... let's say sugar, antifreeze and um... vinegar. That sounds like a good mix. Keep doing that until they stop coming. Once they stop coming, you now know they are getting their engine fixed and can't drive out to your farm. :biggrin:

You can't afford a $10 locking gas cap for whatever sort of tank you're using?

- Warren

chroot said:

- Warren

You still have to get them back before doing that.

chroot said:

- Warren
It's not just the gas tank, the issue is that where they once felt safe from crime, that is now a thing of the past. Sure, they can get a lock for the gas tank, but what's to prevent theft of materials from the new home they are building?

I'd say a surveillance system and notify the local authorities and ask if they can do drive bys on a regular basis.

You know? I don't see one moron teenager running around stealing gasoline to be a serious indication that crime is on the rise in his community. If anything, I'd write it off as a fluke. One teenger does not a crime wave make.

On the other hand, I advocate that people take small measures, like using door locks, to keep honest people honest. The real professional criminals won't be much deterred by a basic lock anyway.

- Warren

chroot said:
You know? I don't see one moron teenager running around stealing gasoline to be a serious indication that crime is on the rise in his community. If anything, I'd write it off as a fluke. One teenger does not a crime wave make.

On the other hand, I advocate that people take small measures, like using door locks, to keep honest people honest. The real professional criminals won't be much deterred by a basic lock anyway.

- Warren

Our neighbours had locks on their tanks and he must have used a bolt cutter on them. I am not trying to say it's a huge problem I guess, just that it sucks that we have to go through all these measures and constantly worry about our property. Maybe we just need a meaner dog!

Shot gun. CHICKKKKKKKK CHICKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

Shoot him with rock salt, that will scare the sh!t outa him LOL

chroot said:

- Warren

The real professional criminals won't be stealing gasoline either :biggrin:

triden said:
I hope people that steal like this understand what they are doing and how badly it can affect people. There was over $600 worth of fuel in that tank that we now have to replace :frown:

Yah I really don't think they care or else they wouldn't be doing it...

Lock the damn pump and tank. How hard can that be? Why drop money on a surveillance system?

Rural bulk tanks are made to be locked with a padlock, period. As triden mentioned, they're useless against good bolt cutters or a Dremel with a cut-off wheel. The only sure way would be to weld the cap on, which would be a bit counterproductive and possibly surprising. Even then, someone could still just drill a hole in the tank.

We have had our place for fifteen years - a small farm - and for a few years we had trouble with kids coming through our property with BB guns and shooting at things - my truck mirror, barn window, and birds. I was mostly worried that they might shoot one of our dogs or cats.

The nice thing about teenage trouble-makers is that they only stick around a few years. Pretty soon they either grow up and/or go to jail.

Ok, there is someone stealing from all the farmers and gets away with $600 worth of gas just from you? I'd say there is more than one person stealing or at least utilizing the fuel from you.
-
Ivan, the teenagers may go away, but there are more to replace them.
-
What needs to happen is to make it look like someone is staying there all the time. No matter how you decide to pull that off, it will prevent them from coming around.

JasonRox said:
If I were you, I'd throw some more gasoline in there with it unlocked.

Just be sure to mix some other ingredients in it... let's say sugar, antifreeze and um... vinegar. That sounds like a good mix. Keep doing that until they stop coming. Once they stop coming, you now know they are getting their engine fixed and can't drive out to your farm. :biggrin:
Sugar doesn't do anything, according to the Mythbusters I just watched yesterday. (Yeah, I'm addicted to that show :rolleyes:). Apparently, bleach will do a number on the motor, but will also corrode the gas tank (see, I never even thought of putting bleach in a gas tank until MythBusters said so...I learned something...though not necessarily for the better). Anyway, that wouldn't work so well if you wanted to put it in your own tank to let them steal.

Is the kid driving in where the gas tank is, or walking up with his gas can? If he's driving up, make some homemade "stop strips"...stick some nice big nails into a couple 2x4s in front of the tank, and let him start paying for all the flat tires (if you know the local garage owner, maybe you can have a chat about it to see if you can find out who the culprit is when he shows up with a bunch of flat tires all at once). It seems cheaper and easier than a fancy security system, and will hit some gearhead kid right where it hurts...his car! You can just pull the 2x4s out of the way when you need to fuel the tractor. Of course, make sure any lights in the area are left off, that way he's less likely to spot the 2x4s before running them over.

:eek: Note to self. Don't annoy Moonbear.

The solution is to booby-trap the 600$ worth of gasoline when you aren't there. I mean since they're going to steal it you might as well detonate it. :rolleyes:

Don't forget the videa camera.

The person stole $600 worth of gasoline in how many trips? And he's stealing from how many people?

It sounds to me like he's driving around a tanker truck or at least has a very large tank in the truck he's driving around. His truck might get pretty poor gas mileage and he might have to do quite a bit of driving to steal gasoline from people who don't live very close together, but I doubt he's using all of that gasoline himself. He's probably selling it to someone.

Spiking his gasoline will affect whoever fills their tank up the gasoline station that's selling the stolen gas, not the person who's stealing the gas. Well, maybe it will affect him - if he's stealing gasoline, anyway, it'd almost be silly to drive all the way to the gas station. Of course, that would have the benefit of catching the entire string involved in the stealing, but it would also hurt quite a few innocent customers.

It would be very ironic if you spiked your gas tank, laughed at the image of what was going to happen to the thief as you forked over $600 to have your tank refilled, only to find out you're buying the same gasoline that was stolen from your tank.

Moonbear said:
Sugar doesn't do anything, according to the Mythbusters I just watched yesterday. (Yeah, I'm addicted to that show :rolleyes:). Apparently, bleach will do a number on the motor, but will also corrode the gas tank (see, I never even thought of putting bleach in a gas tank until MythBusters said so...I learned something...though not necessarily for the better). Anyway, that wouldn't work so well if you wanted to put it in your own tank to let them steal.

Is the kid driving in where the gas tank is, or walking up with his gas can? If he's driving up, make some homemade "stop strips"...stick some nice big nails into a couple 2x4s in front of the tank, and let him start paying for all the flat tires (if you know the local garage owner, maybe you can have a chat about it to see if you can find out who the culprit is when he shows up with a bunch of flat tires all at once). It seems cheaper and easier than a fancy security system, and will hit some gearhead kid right where it hurts...his car! You can just pull the 2x4s out of the way when you need to fuel the tractor. Of course, make sure any lights in the area are left off, that way he's less likely to spot the 2x4s before running them over.

Noooooo you stole my idea. I was reading through the thread and thought about it then read your post and got shocked that you wrote it down before me!

1. What are the signs that someone is stealing gas from us?

Signs that someone may be stealing gas from you include a sudden decrease in gas mileage, finding your gas cap open or tampered with, and noticing unauthorized vehicles near your gas tank.

2. How can we prevent someone from stealing gas from us?

To prevent gas theft, consider installing a locking gas cap or a security device that attaches to your gas tank. You can also park your car in a well-lit area or install security cameras to deter thieves.

3. What should we do if we suspect someone is stealing gas from us?

If you suspect someone is stealing gas from you, contact the authorities and report the incident. You should also inspect your vehicle for any damage and consider increasing security measures for your gas tank.

4. What are the potential dangers of someone stealing gas from us?

Theft of gas can be dangerous and can put you and your vehicle at risk. It can also lead to financial losses and damage to your vehicle. Additionally, gas theft is a crime and can have legal consequences for both the thief and the victim.

5. Can we track who is stealing gas from us?

In some cases, it may be possible to track who is stealing gas from you. This can be done through security cameras, GPS tracking devices, or identifying any suspicious activity or individuals near your gas tank. However, it is important to involve the authorities and not confront the thief directly.