Surprising Spelling Variations: Totaled vs Totalled

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: When your posting day revolves around correcting yourself for using their instead of there for the millionth time without thinking. The intricacies are soon forgotten.:yuck: Recently. Last ten years?
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Every now and again I find that there are subtle spelling variations that I never noticed. I just caught one:

Totaled: as in "the car was totaled".
Totalled: the entire amount

Physics news on Phys.org
50% probably know this one:
"compliment" (with an i) "That's a nice tie"
"complement" (with an e) "That completes the whole"

Ivan Seeking said:
Totaled: as in "the car was totaled".
Totalled: the entire amount
I do not believe this distinction exists. The latter spelling is the original British spelling. The American spelling (of late) skips the repeated consonant in the past (and often, in the continuous) tense. I've repeatedly seen the former spelling applied to the latter connotation. But perhaps the reason the latter spelling is rarely used in the former connotation is that the usage itself is largely endemic to the US.

In short, no matter what the meaning, you can write it as 'totalled' (Brit) or 'totaled' (US).

Gokul43201 said:
...snip snip ...
In short, no matter what the meaning, you can write it as 'totalled' (Brit) or 'totaled' (US).
Aw. I liked that one! Can't we just use 'em that way anyhow?

Ivan Seeking said:
Hmmm, it came up like this in the quick definitions:
http://www.onelook.com/?w=totaled&ls=a
http://www.onelook.com/?w=totalled&ls=a
Randomly picking a couple of those results:

Merriam-Webster said:
total
One entry found for total.
Main Entry: total
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): to·taled or to·talled; to·tal·ing or to·tal·ling
1 : to add up : COMPUTE
2 : to amount to : NUMBER
3 : to make a total wreck of : DEMOLISH; specifically : to damage so badly that the cost of repairs exceeds the market value of the vehicle <totaled the car>
dictionary.com said:
v. to·taled, or to·talled to·tal·ing, or to·tal·ling to·tals or to·tals
v. tr.

1. To determine the total of; add up.
2. To equal a total of; amount to.
3. To wreck completely; demolish: survived the crash but totaled the car.

It seems to me like 'totaled the car' is spelled that way because of its American origin. It doesn't definitively say that 'summed' is spelled 'totalled', so I'm not sure about that one. But I've always been under the impression that the dropping of the repeated consonant in many words is an artifact of pronunciation differences between US and British English. The common "rule" with polysyllabic words is to double the final consonant only if the last syllable is stressed. With some words, it's hard (for me, at least) to tell if any of the syllables are stressed. I think in those cases, different people spell differently based on subtle defferences in pronunciation and/or convenience.

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:

Thanks. I was thinking about that the other day and got confused as which was which.

:yuck: "Totaled" looks all wrong! I think the "American" spelling that drops the double consant is a creation of microsoft's spellcheck. I never saw such a spelling until starting to use spellcheck, at which time I determined spellcheck is wrong, I'm right, and turned spellcheck back off. Curse you Bill Gates! :devil:

It's not Miscrosoft. American english is being changed to drop all the double letters from the words. At least, that's what I thought.

DaveC426913 said:
It's not Miscrosoft. American english is being changed to drop all the double letters from the words. At least, that's what I thought.
But when did this happen, and who decided it? It sure isn't what I was taught in grade school.

Moonbear said:
But when did this happen, and who decided it? It sure isn't what I was taught in grade school.
Yeah, recently. Last ten years?
I may be talking through my hat, so an authoritative source would be good.

I can't spell at the best of times, but you guys have just given me a nervous tick reading this thread, what? compliment, complement, really? Anyway can I just apologise in advance for mangelling English and hope people understand what I'm driving at from context, otherwise I'm screwed basically.:smile:

About two years ago I found out there were to ways to spell counsellor and councillor, up till then I though they were both doing the same jobs :wink::smile: I'm serious about that though, I had no idea they differed in the way they were spelt?

When your posting day revolves around correcting yourself for using their instead of there for the millionth time without thinking. The intricacies are soon forgotten.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
:yuck: "Totaled" looks all wrong! I think the "American" spelling that drops the double consant is a creation of microsoft's spellcheck. I never saw such a spelling until starting to use spellcheck, at which time I determined spellcheck is wrong, I'm right, and turned spellcheck back off. Curse you Bill Gates! :devil:
Single syllable ending in a consonant has the consonant doubled.

Three or more, you don't double the consonant.

Two has been optional as long as I can remember, even if doubling is more common. (That way, it matches when you can add the -er -est endings instead of inserting more/most in front).

Ones that make me pause and think each time I use them:

-- weather and whether

-- it's and its

This is why this site is so awesome. We put some effort into how we write our posts.

When I type "their"/"there"/"they're" I always note that somebody else is always spelling there words wrong.

:tongue2:

capital and capitol

material and materiel

People that type reoccurring. It's RECURRING! Except, so many people misspell it, it's being added due to BEING ABSOLUTELY WRONG because people are too stupid to know what the right word is.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=recurring

Look at how many people misuse it! Yes, this is a major pet peeve of mine.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=reocurring&btnG=Search

berkeman said:

-- weather and whether

-- it's and its

its and it's bug me. I often type the wrong one, and have to go back and edit the post. But if I left it I would have to hide my face!:eek: :redface:

berkeman said:

-- weather and whether
:rofl: My favorite is when I see someone spell either one of those as 'wether.' :biggrin: A wether is a castrated sheep or goat (wether is to ram as steer is to bull).

Moonbear said:

My first thought was that it comes from auto insurance agents who can't spell. And you know, the dictionary is based on common usage.

For years I messed up effect and affect.

Existence.

I'm always surprised when this word is misspelled. The irony is just too much. Whenever one says something like, "in all existence," how much does one actually know about existence after spelling it existance?

Google the word "existance", and tell me it's not funny. o:)

Last edited:
A truly existantial paridox.

Why is this mispelling so much more atrocious than others?

Chi Meson said:

You misspelled misspelling. :rofl:

The one that gets to me is when people spell it definate...the root of the word is finite, folks, so spell it definite!

berkeman said:
You misspelled misspelling. :rofl:
You missed the joke if you missed "existantial paridox"

Evo said:
You missed the joke if you missed "existantial paridox"

:approve:

I'm Chi Meson, and I approve this quote.

Chi Meson said:
I'm glad you brought this up because I didn't realize there were two separate terms here. I have been writing and speaking of "complimentary" colors when the correct term is complementary. The former made complete sense because complementary colors serve to make each other look their best when placed together. I assumed they were complimenting each other: "Wow, you really look red today!" "Naw, you're just saying that 'cause you look so green!" That's the way it works: if you want to emphasize the hue of a hue you place some of its complement nearby.

However, the Webster's says the complementary part of the term complementary colors refers to their ability to creat a grey when mixed together:

"1 : relating to or constituting one of a pair of contrasting colors that produce a neutral color when combined in suitable proportions"

I like my anthropomorphic scenario much better, it's a superior mnemonic device for getting people to remember how complementary colors affect each other, but that quality is, apparently, not what the term is referring to.

Chi Meson said:

:rofl: I don't know. I think it might be Freudian or something, like the speaker feels the need to take a "stance" on "existance," obviously due to repressed sexual appetites. I mean, you can't take a "stence" on something, right? That's not sexy.

When I read a Tale of Two Cities, I took the time, a long time, to look up the words I did not know the exact meaning of. There was one, that I cannot find now, which had about 3 different ways of spelling (for one tense). I did find one which was not the same as that situation but still poses a good example for my point. In the English language it is exceptable to interchange bereft and bereaved (same tense). Now it seems that as I look at vague and older words, occasionally the spelling varies. This is possibly because the lack of communication in the past allowed less common words to develop their own unique spelling. By the way was the American variations on spelling certain words forced or did it just happen gradually over time as a result of separation from England?
-scott

1. What is the difference between "totaled" and "totalled"?

Both "totaled" and "totalled" are past tense forms of the verb "total." "Totaled" is the standard spelling in American English, while "totalled" is more commonly used in British English. They both mean the same thing, which is to add up or calculate the total amount.

2. Which spelling is considered correct?

Both spellings are considered correct, depending on the variety of English being used. In American English, "totaled" is the preferred spelling, while "totalled" is the preferred spelling in British English.

3. Why are there different spellings for the same word?

English is a language that has many variations and dialects. As a result, there can be differences in spelling and usage of certain words. This is often due to historical and cultural influences on the language.

4. Can "totaled" and "totalled" be used interchangeably?

Yes, they can be used interchangeably, as they have the same meaning. However, it is important to be consistent in your spelling when writing, depending on the variety of English you are using.

5. Is one spelling more common than the other?

As mentioned earlier, "totaled" is more commonly used in American English, while "totalled" is more commonly used in British English. However, both spellings are widely accepted and used in their respective varieties of English.