In how many ways to answer a true-false test with 6 questions

• Thread starter Kuja
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, a true-false test with six questions can be answered in 64 different ways, as each question has two choices. The formula nCr, where n = 6 and r = 2, would only be used for combinations, not for answering a true-false test. It is recommended to not just read, but also attempt to solve problems on your own before seeking explanations. Repeating this process multiple times can help improve understanding.
Kuja
The question is as followed:

In how many ways can a student answer a true-false test that has six questions?

I tried nCr where n = 6 and r = 2
The result was 15, but at the back of the book it says 64!
I am wondering where the number 64 come from.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Each question is independent of each other. Each has two choices, so,

(choices for the first question)*(choices for the second question)*(choices for the third question)*(choices for the fourth question)*(choices for the fifth question)*(choices for the sixth question) = 2*2*2*2*2*2 = 2^6 = 64

I'm really not sure why you'd use 6C2.

cookiemonster

O thank you!
I don't know, but I just don't understand the concepts.
I think I will read more.

Very good idea. But don' JUST read more. Before reading each example, try to solve it yourself. After you've done that, read the explanation of the example, then put the book aside and try to solve it yourself AGAIN. If you are a really good math student, the fourth or fifth time over each example, you will start to get it!

1. How many possible ways can the test be answered?

The total number of ways to answer a true-false test with 6 questions is 64 (2^6) ways. This is because for each question, there are 2 possible answers (true or false) and the total number of ways is found by multiplying the number of options for each question.

2. Is there a specific order in which the questions must be answered?

No, there is no specific order in which the questions must be answered. Each question is independent of the others, so the order in which they are answered does not affect the total number of ways to answer the test.

3. How does the number of questions affect the total number of possible ways to answer the test?

The total number of possible ways to answer the test increases exponentially as the number of questions increases. For example, a test with 10 questions would have 1024 (2^10) ways to be answered, while a test with 20 questions would have 1,048,576 (2^20) ways to be answered.

4. Can the same answer be chosen for multiple questions?

Yes, it is possible for the same answer to be chosen for multiple questions. For example, if a student chooses "true" for all 6 questions, this is one of the 64 possible ways to answer the test.

5. Can a true-false test with 6 questions have more than 64 possible ways to be answered?

No, a true-false test with 6 questions can only have 64 possible ways to be answered. This is because for each question, there are only 2 possible answers and the total number of ways is found by multiplying the number of options for each question.