Need advice from electrical engineers.

In summary, Warren is considering attending a community college near him in order to save money on tuition, but is worried about not qualifying for financial aid. He also plans to pursue a career in robotics if he cannot qualify for financial aid through FAFSA.
RoboDude
Hello,

I have done much studying on my own with electrical engineering. I have also successfully built working curcuits, know essential tools like multimeters, solderless breaboards, ect. Know how to make PCB's. Know fundamental laws and formulas. So I don't consider myself a major newbie.
I was thinking about going to college to do further studies in this, but it appears I don't qualify for financial aid. I never planned to work for someone, I plan to be more of an independant researcher. Robotics is my passion and that's what I plan to do.
So, my question is should I still try to go to college to learn about electrical engineering and try to get the money situation with that to work somehow? Or should I just continue independantly learning electrical engineering?

Thanks a ton for the advice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You will never make it as an independent researcher unless you get some formal training and a certain amount of time as an employee.

thanks for the feedback. I suppose I will try to get the financial aid thing to work... somehow...

You currently do not have the skills necessary to seriously pursue a career in robotics. What you currently know would qualify you for a position as, perhaps, a technician.

Why don't you qualify for financial aid? Anyone can get student loans, even if they're not the best solution. An investment in your education is one of the wisest investments you'll ever make.

- Warren

FAFSA is what I am trying to sign up for. They rejected me because of some tax return thing and how it conflicts with what they want. Don't know the extreme details but my mother is trying some other ideas to get that to work. And if I can't get any grant from FASFA... then I will do student loans. I will work to my Phd!

Thanks for the advice.

The only reason I can see for not being permitted to apply via FAFSA is if your parents are cheating on their taxes in some way. I suggest you see a good accountant and get it worked out. The FAFSA is the way to go.

- Warren

Last edited:
How about attending a local community college near you (assuming you are in the US)? They are very inexpensive options, and after you finish your two years there, you may be in a better position to apply to finish your last two years at a university. At least the student loan would be smaller if you follow that route, and you can use the first two years to see if you are really interested in EE after all.

Its a bit complicated how I was rejected. My mother divorced last year and had a join bank account with her husband and there was a lot of money in the bank. Now FASFA wants the information from the sheet that shows that there is a lot of money in the bank through the joint account, while really the amount of money in her bank account is no where near that, since the divorce. We are running out of money quickly, and the information on the tax sheet is completely wrong showing we have a lot of money stored in the bank (while really not). Pretty messed up.
If the ideas we are trying do not work, at least next year I believe I will be able to apply for FASFA when the new yearly tax sheets are sent. And in that such case where I can't apply for FASFA this year, I will just get a student loan, and like berkeman said, at least it will be small (since I do plan to go to a JC for the first two years). Sorry if this seems to be getting off the EE topic. None the less, thanks.

Last edited:
In the absolute worst case, approach whichever bank your mother uses, and ask them for a consumer loan. The rates won't be as competitive as government-sponsored loans, and you'll have to pay interest from the inception of the loan, but at least it will permit you to go to school. Next year, when the financial situation is straightened out, you should be able to get funding for the rest of your education via the FAFSA.

- Warren

What qualifications do I need to become an electrical engineer?

In order to become an electrical engineer, you typically need at least a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also require a Master's degree or relevant work experience. Additionally, many electrical engineers obtain professional licensure through passing exams and completing other requirements.

What skills are important for an electrical engineer?

Electrical engineers require a combination of technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and critical thinking skills. Some important skills include strong mathematical and analytical skills, attention to detail, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software. Good communication and teamwork skills are also essential for working effectively in a multidisciplinary engineering environment.

What job opportunities are available for electrical engineers?

Electrical engineers have a variety of job opportunities in different industries, such as power generation and distribution, telecommunications, electronics, and manufacturing. They can work in roles such as design engineer, project manager, systems engineer, or research and development engineer. The demand for electrical engineers is expected to grow in the coming years due to advancements in technology and the need for sustainable energy solutions.

What challenges do electrical engineers face in their work?

Electrical engineers may face challenges such as tight project deadlines, budget constraints, and complex technical problems. They also need to keep up with advancements in technology and regulations in their field. Additionally, working in teams with engineers from different backgrounds and disciplines can present communication and coordination challenges.

How can I improve my skills and knowledge as an electrical engineer?

To improve your skills and knowledge as an electrical engineer, you can attend conferences and workshops, participate in professional development courses, and pursue advanced degrees or certifications. Networking with other engineers and staying updated on industry developments can also help you stay current and improve your skills. Additionally, taking on challenging projects and seeking out mentorship opportunities can help you gain valuable experience and expand your knowledge.