Confused about antimatter and matter

In summary: Plus, if memory serves, it was some more exotic property (or seemed so to me when I read about it somewhere a long time ago), even less well known than spin. Maybe baryon number or some such...Flavour of their quarks? Delicious. :)
Pakbabydoll
opposites..
Matter/ Antimatter
proton/ positron
electron/photon

is that right? So can you tell me there properties? '
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Pakbabydoll said:
opposites..
Matter/ Antimatter
proton/ positron
electron/photon

is that right? So can you tell me there properties? '
thanks

No, you have this all wrong.

The antiparticle of a proton is antiproton
The antiparticle of an electron is a positron.

Please go to the Hyperphysics website to learn some basic ideas on antiparticles

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/particles/antimatter.html

Zz.

Matter/Antimatter
proton/antiproton
electron/positron
photon/photon
Good Kirk/Evil Kirk

Antiprotons are just like protons except they have a negative charge.
Positrons are just like electrons except with a positive charge.
Photons are neutral. You cannot tell from the photons emitted whether it came from matter or antimatter. Thus, light coming to us from distant galaxies does not tell us (at least directly) whether the galaxy is made of matter or antimatter.

How can anti-neutrons be observed?

Doom of Doom said:
How can anti-neutrons be observed?
Particles are known to exist through interactions. An anti-neutron would annihilate a neutron with a meson shower, i.e. + and - mesons, and perhaps neutral pairs, going in various directions.

Neutral particles are unobservable since they do not ionize as charged particles do, although neutrons can knock protons and nuclei about, which can be observed.

DaveC426913 said:
Matter/Antimatter
Antiprotons are just like protons except they have a negative charge.
Positrons are just like electrons except with a positive charge.
IIRC, there is another property that is different, besides charge, but this difference doesn't usually receive much attention, presumably because the property is not well known to the general public.. Unforetunately, I don't remember what that property was. Anyone cares to freshen my memory - and enlighten the other readers while they're at it?

technobot said:
IIRC, there is another property that is different, besides charge, but this difference doesn't usually receive much attention, presumably because the property is not well known to the general public.. Unforetunately, I don't remember what that property was. Anyone cares to freshen my memory - and enlighten the other readers while they're at it?

spin? Isn't that the reason that the charge is different in the first place? (spin = helicity?)

joshd said:
spin? Isn't that the reason that the charge is different in the first place? (spin = helicity?)
That was my first thought too, but according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiparticle the spin is the same:
In other words, particle and antiparticle must have
* the same mass m
* the same spin state J
* opposite electric charges q and -q.
Plus, if memory serves, it was some more exotic property (or seemed so to me when I read about it somewhere a long time ago), even less well known than spin. Maybe baryon number or some such...

Flavour of their quarks? Delicious. :)

What is antimatter?

Antimatter is a type of matter composed of antiparticles, which have the same mass as their corresponding particles but opposite charge. For example, the antiparticle of an electron is a positron.

What is the difference between antimatter and matter?

The main difference between antimatter and matter is the charge of their particles. While matter is composed of particles with positive, neutral, and negative charges, antimatter is composed of antiparticles with opposite charges to their corresponding particles.

Can antimatter and matter interact with each other?

Yes, antimatter and matter can interact with each other through a process called annihilation. When a particle of antimatter and a particle of matter come into contact, they annihilate each other, releasing energy in the form of gamma rays.

Why is antimatter important in science?

Antimatter plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental laws of physics. Studying the interactions between antimatter and matter can provide insights into the origins of the universe and help scientists better understand the behavior of particles.

How is antimatter produced?

Antimatter can be produced through various methods, such as high-energy collisions in particle accelerators or during certain types of radioactive decay. It can also be produced naturally in small amounts, such as in cosmic rays or during lightning strikes.