Simple question in topology (finite vs. infinite)

The set of all real numbers is uncountable, as it is possible to assign an infinite number of numbers in any interval. You can get an idea of how large the set of all real numbers is by considering the set of all rational numbers (which is countable), and then considering the set of all irrational numbers (which is uncountable). Why do we bother with this distinction? Because some things can be shown to be impossible if we have uncountable sets. For example, the Banach-Tarski paradox.
rumjum

Homework Statement

I always get confused between countably many vs. uncountable. I suppose if one can index the points of a set , then it is countable.

1)So, anything that is finitie is countable. Anything that is infinite is also countable?
Then what is uncountable, something that is both uncountable and infinite.

2) It is mentioned that line [a,b] is uncountable. But, why?

3) Also if a set is uncountable then the complement of that set is countable? I don't think so because for all x that belong to R and do not belong to [a,b]. The set still belongs to R and should be uncountable.

Can someone explain these loose ends of my understanding?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Uncountable means that you can't count EVERY element in it. Uncountable immediately implies infinite, as every finite set is countable (count them!).

My new catchphrase: If only there was some global database available to the public to freely share information.

ZioX said:
Uncountable means that you can't count EVERY element in it. Uncountable immediately implies infinite, as every finite set is countable (count them!).

My new catchphrase: If only there was some global database available to the public to freely share information.

By count, ZioX means index with integers. There are sets you can't do this with. See 'Cantor diagonal arguments'. A set could be uncountable and have a countable complement. It also could not. Give examples of both, please??

rumjum said:
So, anything that is finitie is countable. Anything that is infinite is also countable?
No, for example, the set of all real numbers is uncountable.
Then what is uncountable, something that is both uncountable and infinite.
Yes, but normally we don't bother to say "infinite" since all finite sets ARE countable. "Uncountable" itself implies "infinite".

2) It is mentioned that line [a,b] is uncountable. But, why?
As said before, Cantor's diagonal argument. You should have see that when you were first introduced to "countable" and "uncountable".

3) Also if a set is uncountable then the complement of that set is countable? I don't think so because for all x that belong to R and do not belong to [a,b]. The set still belongs to R and should be uncountable.
Certainly not! Why would you think so? Yes, the set of all real numbers between 0 and 2 is uncountable. The set of all real numbers between 0 and 1 is uncountable. It's complement in the set of all real numbers between 0 and 2 is the set of all real numbers between 1 and 2 which is still uncountable.

Can someone explain these loose ends of my understanding?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

rumjum said:
I always get confused between countably many vs. uncountable. I suppose if one can index the points of a set , then it is countable.
If that set is 1, 2, 3, 4, ... (or a subset of it) - then yes.
For example, the set of numbers {1, 2, 3} is clearly countable as I can count all the numbers in them. So is the set {1, 2, 3, 4, ...} (all natural numbers) - I can assign each number to itself. The set {2, 4, 6, 8, ...} of even numbers is countable, because I can assign to each number n the number 2n (that is, describe the set as [itex]a_n = 2n[/itex]). Also, the set of all integers is countable (just write them in the peculiar order {0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, ... } and you see that you can list them, in principle).

The set of all real numbers between 0 and 1 is not countable. For any countable list you give me, I can always give you one that is not in the list (this is the Cantor diagonal argument mentioned). Also, the set of continuous functions on [0, 1] with f(0) = 0 is uncountable, for example, the set of functions
[tex] \{ f(x) = a x \mid a \in \mathbb{R} \} [/tex]
is uncountable (even if we restrict a to the interval [0, 1], it is basically the same as this interval since each choice for a will define such a function). But then the subset of all functions
[tex] \{ \sin 2 \pi n x \mid n \in \mathbb{N} \} [/tex]
is countable, as each number n fixes such a function.

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of spaces and their transformations, regardless of the specific shape or size of the space. It is concerned with the fundamental concepts of continuity, connectivity, and compactness.

2. What is the difference between finite and infinite topology?

Infinite topology is concerned with spaces that are infinitely large, such as the real numbers, while finite topology deals with spaces that have a finite number of elements, such as a set of integers. In general, infinite topology is more complex and has more possibilities for continuous transformations.

3. Can a finite space have infinite topology?

Yes, a finite space can have infinite topology. This means that even though the space has a finite number of elements, there are still infinitely many possible continuous transformations that can occur within that space.

4. What are some real-world applications of topology?

Topology has many applications in various fields, such as physics, computer science, and biology. For example, in physics, topology is used to study the properties of materials and their phase transitions. In computer science, it is used in data analysis and machine learning. In biology, topology is used to study the structure and function of biological molecules.

5. How does topology relate to other branches of mathematics?

Topology is closely related to other branches of mathematics, such as geometry, algebra, and analysis. It provides a framework for understanding and connecting different mathematical concepts and ideas, and has applications in many areas of mathematics.