Induced emf in a current loop

In summary: Usually, if you want to know the induced electric field, you will need to use a different equation than the one you are using. But for this problem, you should be able to find it using your magnetic field and current.In summary, if the current is increasing at a rate of 0.1 A/sec, the induced emf in a loop of 0.5 m would be 0.1 A.
mattst88

Homework Statement

If the current is increasing at a rate of 0.1 A/sec what would the induced emf in a loop of 0.5 m be?

Homework Equations

[tex] I = \frac{|emf|}{R} [/tex]
[tex] emf = - \frac{d}{dt} B A cos(\theta) [/tex]

I'm obviously missing an equation or something.

Some guidance would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get your second equation from? That looks like something that you would see for a generator, and not a general formula.

So you know that
[tex]Emf = \epsilon = \frac{d \Phi}{dt}[/tex]

where the flux [itex]\Phi[/itex] would be

[tex]\Phi = \int B \cdot da[/tex]

Thanks for your reply.

So multiply by dt

[tex] \epsilon dt = d \Phi [/tex]

Integrate both sides
[tex] \int \epsilon dt = \Phi [/tex]

Replace Phi

[tex] \int \epsilon dt = \int B \cdot dA [/tex]

B doesn't change with area, and is therefore constant. Integrate left side and replace A with area of a circle.

[tex] \int \epsilon dt = B \pi r^2 [/tex]

I don't quite know where to go from here.

Since Emf = IR, and we assume R is constant, if I is changing then E must be changing proportionally.

Is this valid?

[tex] \frac{d\epsilon}{dt} = \frac{dI}{dt} R[/tex]

[tex] \frac{d\epsilon}{dt} = 0.1 R [/tex]

[tex] d\epsilon = 0.1 R dt [/tex]

[tex] \epsilon = 0.1 R \int dt [/tex]

[tex] \epsilon = 0.1 R t[/tex]

And using that, plugging it into this equation:

[tex] \int \epsilon dt = B \pi r^2 [/tex]
[tex] 0.1 R \int t dt = B \pi r^2 [/tex]

Is this valid? Am I on the right track?

Very good! Almost there. I just realized I forgot to give you a minus sign too, sorry.

[tex]\epsilon = - \frac{d \Phi}{dt}[/tex]

One thing to consider is what the magnetic field of a ring actually is. This may be a confusing point, and it is, as you may say, "Wait a minute, I was told that biot-savart and all the others only works for magnetostatics." Well, that is very true, but we also need to calculate the magnetic fields. The only really good ways are with the magnetostatic methods. Basically this means that the magnetic field you calculate will only be an approximation, but the error is usually pretty small, unless you have very rapid fluctuations. We call this a quasistatic approximation.

Anyway, does it make sense that if you solve the magnetic field then you will be able to use that result to find an induced EMF? Since you will get a magnetic field with a current dependence, then the EMF will be the time derivative of your magnetic flux. In other words, you have flux [itex]\Phi = \pi r^2 B[/itex], find [itex]d \Phi/dt[/itex].

I'm surprised there isn't a part that tells you to calculate the induced electric field.

Last edited:

1. What is induced emf in a current loop?

Induced emf in a current loop is the electromotive force that is generated when there is a change in the magnetic flux passing through the loop. This can be caused by a changing magnetic field, a moving loop, or a combination of both.

2. How is the magnitude of induced emf determined?

The magnitude of induced emf is determined by the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop, as described by Faraday's law of induction. This can be calculated using the equation emf = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the loop and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

3. What factors affect the induced emf in a current loop?

The magnitude of induced emf in a current loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the loop, the area of the loop, and the speed at which the loop is moving through the magnetic field.

4. Can induced emf be used to produce electricity?

Yes, induced emf can be used to generate electricity. This is the principle behind electromagnetic induction, which is used in generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. Induced emf is also the basis for many other applications, such as transformers and electric motors.

5. How is induced emf related to Lenz's law?

Lenz's law states that the direction of the induced current in a conductor will be such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it. This is directly related to induced emf, as the direction of the induced current is determined by the direction of the induced emf. Lenz's law helps to explain the conservation of energy in electromagnetic systems.