Brushless DC motor text book

PPP1,M1In summary, the conversation is about finding a textbook that covers brushless DC motor physics and control theory in depth. The main topics of interest include mathematical approaches, controller schemes and design fundamentals, and a comparison with other types of motors. The person is overwhelmed by the selection and prices of textbooks and is looking for recommendations. They have found a promising option on Google Books.
dink
I'm looking for a textbook that has an in depth coverage of brushless DC motor physics as well as control theory.
-indepth mathematical approach as well as conceptual theory
-controller schemes and design fundementals
-mathematical study of induced currents on the stator/rotor, and what this means for controller design and feedback
-rotor inertia, air gap, power, torque, etc...
-a comparison with conventional motors including ac induction, ac synchronous, standard dc, switch reluctance, etc...
Any help with text suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I found several dozen on amazon.com but I am overwhelmed by the selection and prices. I need the "ace in the hole" text so I won't have to buy two. I'm also concerned that I will spend 100+ dollars on a textbook that only has ~5 pages of BLDC theory.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

I would recommend the textbook "Brushless DC Motor Design: A Mathematical Approach" by Marko Hinkkanen and Tero Jokinen. This book covers both the physics and control theory of brushless DC motors in an in-depth and mathematical manner. It also includes controller schemes and design fundamentals, as well as a study of induced currents on the stator/rotor and its implications for controller design and feedback.

Additionally, the book covers topics such as rotor inertia, air gap, power, torque, and compares brushless DC motors with other types of motors including AC induction, AC synchronous, standard DC, and switched reluctance. It also includes practical examples and case studies to help readers understand the concepts better.

This textbook is highly recommended by experts in the field and has received positive reviews for its comprehensive coverage of brushless DC motors. It may be on the pricier side, but it will definitely be worth the investment as it covers all the aspects you are looking for in a brushless DC motor textbook.

1. What is a brushless DC motor?

A brushless DC motor is a type of electric motor that uses electronic commutation instead of brushes and a commutator to control the flow of electricity to the motor's windings. This allows for more efficient and precise control of the motor's speed and direction.

2. How does a brushless DC motor work?

A brushless DC motor uses a permanent magnet rotor and a stator made up of electromagnets. Electronic sensors monitor the position of the rotor and send signals to the motor controller, which then adjusts the flow of electricity to the appropriate windings to create rotational movement.

3. What are the advantages of a brushless DC motor?

Some of the advantages of a brushless DC motor include higher efficiency, longer lifespan, and smoother operation due to the lack of brushes and commutator. They also produce less heat and require less maintenance compared to traditional motors.

4. How do I choose the right brushless DC motor for my application?

When choosing a brushless DC motor, you should consider factors such as the required torque and speed, the motor's power and voltage ratings, and the size and weight limitations of your application. It is also important to consider the motor's efficiency and reliability.

5. Can I control the speed and direction of a brushless DC motor?

Yes, you can control the speed and direction of a brushless DC motor by adjusting the flow of electricity to the motor's windings through the motor controller. This allows for precise control and the ability to change direction without the need for additional components.