What is the Dimension of a Matrix in R^(2x3)?

In summary, the dimension of a matrix in R^(2x3) is the number of columns, which is six in this case. The concept of dimension can also be applied to the vector space of 2x3 matrices, with a dimension of six representing the number of independent numbers.
Niles

Homework Statement

If we have a matrix in R^(2x3), what dimension does this matrix have?

My book doesn't answer this question - it only tells me what the dimensions are of the different spaces, not of the matrix as a whole.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think the dimension is the number of columns, but it's just a guess. I hope you guys can clarify this for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are six independent numbers in a 2x3 matrix. So the dimension of the vector space of 2x3 matrices is six. That's the only sense I can think of to talk about the 'dimension' of a matrix.

I see.. thanks!

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, and matrices. It is used to solve problems involving systems of linear equations and to represent geometric objects in higher dimensions.

2. What are the basic concepts in Linear Algebra?

The basic concepts in Linear Algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. Vectors represent quantities that have both magnitude and direction, while matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers used to perform operations on vectors. Linear transformations are functions that map one vector space to another, and systems of linear equations involve solving for unknown variables using a set of linear equations.

3. What is the importance of dimensions in Linear Algebra?

Dimensions are crucial in Linear Algebra as they determine the number of components that make up a vector or matrix. They also represent the number of variables in a system of linear equations and the number of dimensions in a vector space. Understanding dimensions is essential for working with higher dimensional data and solving complex problems in mathematics, engineering, and computer science.

4. How do you find the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is equal to the number of linearly independent vectors that span the space. To find the dimension, you can use the row-reduced echelon form of a matrix to determine the number of pivot columns, which is equivalent to the dimension of the vector space.

5. How is Linear Algebra used in real-world applications?

Linear Algebra has numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, computer graphics, economics, and statistics. It is used to solve optimization problems, analyze data sets, and build mathematical models for real-world phenomena. Additionally, Linear Algebra is essential for advanced topics such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, which have become increasingly prevalent in today's world.