A not so genius engineering student

In summary: Engineering is all about creativity, so having a 4.0 isn't nearly as important as having an interest in the field.You don't have to be a genius, but you do need the dedication and effort. When you hit the third year, a LOT of work will be needed on your part. That means countless hours in the library doing work. Seriously.
undrcvrbro
I'm going to be an engineering undergrad next year and lately I've been doubting how well I will do. I'm not a genius, and I haven't taken any of the AP Calc courses during my time in high school, but I do have an interest in Science and math. I definately wouldn't say that I'm bad at math( I usually get A's), but I am nothing amazing. I guess the only two things I have going for me would be hard work and interest. Can I survive the death march of a four year engineering coursework just relying on hard work?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
undrcvrbro,

As far as I know, most of the comments I have read from people who are considered geniuses, state it themselves that they we're not or are not geniuses. Rather all they really did to prove a theory, discover something important, etc... was hard work.

So my answer is probably yes, hard work will get you past those our years, and it will also teach you to work harder since that is what University is supposed to do.

I think you'd do fine if you have an interest and good work ethic.

Feldoh said:
I think you'd do fine if you have an interest and good work ethic.

Pretty much. Most people, in any major, are just regular people who have an interest in the material. Geniuses are rare and nobody expects you to be one. Just study, do you homework, and enjoy yourself and you'll be fine.

Hard work trumps the genius. Being a genius shouldn't even come into play.

Great! Thank you everyone for your immediate imput. I am sure that I'll be fine with a little hard work.

I never took any AP calc classes... Only AP Physics, AP US History, IB English, IB Economics, IB Spanish, etc. I'm in my third year, EE... I wasn't particularly strong in Calc I, but came back and got As in Calc II and III. Otherwise, I've been doing good.

You don't have to be a genius. You just need the dedication and effort. When you hit the third year, a LOT of work will be needed on your part. That means countless hours in the library doing work. Seriously.

I think its more about your willingness to learn and study. That's it - being a genius doesn't matter, really.

DefaultName said:
I never took any AP calc classes... Only AP Physics, AP US History, IB English, IB Economics, IB Spanish, etc. I'm in my third year, EE... I wasn't particularly strong in Calc I, but came back and got As in Calc II and III. Otherwise, I've been doing good.

You don't have to be a genius. You just need the dedication and effort. When you hit the third year, a LOT of work will be needed on your part. That means countless hours in the library doing work. Seriously.

I think its more about your willingness to learn and study. That's it - being a genius doesn't matter, really.

It's encouraging hearing a story like yours. My high school coursework was very similar to yours(at least as far as AP/IB classes go), and to know you are doing so well gives me some confidence.

Maybe I've awaken in a parallel universe today. Engineers, geniuses? :confused:

You need creativity to succeed in engineering, not have a 4.0 GPA.

What does it mean to be a "not so genius" engineering student?

A "not so genius" engineering student is someone who may struggle with certain concepts or coursework in their engineering studies. They may not excel in every subject or have natural talent in the field, but they are still dedicated and hardworking in their pursuit of an engineering degree.

Why is it important to highlight the struggles of a "not so genius" engineering student?

Highlighting the struggles of a "not so genius" engineering student can help break the stereotype that all engineers are geniuses. It can also provide support and encouragement for students who may be struggling in their studies and show that it is possible to succeed even if you don't consider yourself a genius.

Can a "not so genius" engineering student still have a successful career?

Yes, absolutely! Being a successful engineer is not solely based on natural intelligence, but also on hard work, determination, and a strong work ethic. A "not so genius" engineering student can still excel in their career by continuously learning and improving their skills.

What are some tips for a "not so genius" engineering student to succeed in their studies?

Some tips for success as a "not so genius" engineering student include seeking help and support from professors or tutors, forming study groups with classmates, breaking down complex concepts into smaller, manageable parts, and staying organized and dedicated to their studies.

How can the engineering community support and encourage "not so genius" students?

The engineering community can support and encourage "not so genius" students by providing resources such as tutoring, mentorship programs, and networking opportunities. They can also celebrate and showcase the achievements and successes of these students to break the stereotype and promote diversity in the field of engineering.