Switching from Chemistry to Physics for Graduate Studies: Is It Feasible?

In summary, the individual is currently in their fourth year of undergraduate studies pursuing a B.S. in Chemistry with a minor in Computer Science. They have a strong academic profile with a great math and science GPA. They have a year of research experience in solid state chemistry and are currently working on an undergraduate thesis in the creation of an artificial photosynthesis membrane. They have also presented at research forums and have one publication with the possibility of another before graduation. However, their interests have started to shift towards physics and they are considering applying to some graduate programs in physics. They have taken more mathematics than required for a chemistry major and have taken the necessary physics courses. They are wondering how viable this transition is and if anyone has any advice or tips for coming
Dangerous Dan
I'll start out by describing my situation at the present. I'm in my fourth year of undergraduate studies, pursuing a B.S. in Chemistry with a minor in Computer Science. I'd consider myself to have a fairly strong academic profile. My math/science GPA is great, my overall GPA is still good, though not as good (Damn Econ... I could always rationalize both supply AND demand going up, so I never did too well in that subject - I guess most people don't shop like I do...). I'm willing to talk to specific numbers if hairs must be split. I have a fair amount of research experience; I've done a year in solid state chemistry (largely computational, a few syntheses to confirm program outputs) and I'm currently working on an undergraduate thesis in the creation of an artificial photosynthesis membrane (much more lab work). I've got my name on one publication, and will hopefully have another before I graduate. I've presented at CERMACS and local research forums.

So, on paper, things are going pretty well. As it turns out, however, my interests have started to shift, or, perhaps more aptly worded, progress. The reason I've become interested in physics in my later years of school was the same reason I chose to major in chemistry: In short, I love understanding the building blocks.

Physical chemistry and personal study introduced me to notions that led to my interest in particle physics. I'd be happy to expand upon exactly what fascinates me about it, but for the purposes of this topic, suffice it to say that I'm considering applying to some graduate programs in physics. Graduate studies in physical chemistry may suffice, but it seems to me that nitty-gritty research in elementary particles is the purview of physics; while the research of physical chemists is fascinating in its own right (often lots of spectroscopic analysis of short-lived states/molecules), it's less along the lines of something I'd personally wish to become involved with (truthfully, along with a shift in academic interest, I'm also beginning to grow tired of the sort of labwork that accompanies 'wet' chemical research - again, this is a matter of personal preference; I have nothing against the field).

I'm wondering how viable this transition is. I've heard of more drastic leaps (history --> physics, etc.), but I'm also farther away from physics than a mathematician or, in some ways, an engineer. As far as coursework goes, I've taken more mathematics than is required of a chemistry major here (calculus, ODE's, PDE's, linear algebra, discrete structures), this a result of general interest and computer science coursework. I've taken the physics required, which is a year of general physics (I did well, for what it's worth). I've also taken the chemistry department's course on quantum mechanics, which, while I'm certain is less mathematically rigorous than a physics course in the same, has familiarized me enough with the subject that I'm comfortable navigating literature and calculations in that area.

This is getting long-winded, so I'll finish up, though I'm happy to expand upon anything I said here. Has anyone gone through a similar change themselves, or, in general, does anyone have any advice/tips to offer about coming to physics from a different field of science?

(It's going to take me 2/3 of a 5th year to finish up the minor; I haven't yet taken the GRE; that will be this year - I'm planning on taking the general, chemistry, and physics).

Physics news on Phys.org
Dan:

What I would say is that it is probably possible (most programs state a degree in physics or a RELATED field).

Assets of your background:
-- You've taken ODE's, PDE's, & linear algebra -- usually these are required in physics degrees but not chem, so it shows good math preparation.
-- You've done research and published. While you might not want to stay in that particular field, research experience + publications are plus since they indicate that you'll probably succeed in research at the grad level. (In some sense, doing a switch from undergrad to grad is a natural time to do so).

What I'd suggest is that since it will take some time to finish your undergrad degree anyways... during that time, take as many standard physics courses as you can squeeze in besides your graduation requirements -- especially an intermediate classical mechanics and electrodynamics course (BEYOND the standard 3-semester or 4-quarter calculus-based courses usually required for chemistry and engineering students as well as physics). Starting to do so now (mid-year) might be tough, it all depends on how often these courses (typically taken by physics majors only) are offered. It might be more feasible to take a statistical thermo course. Look at grad programs you are in and see what core coursework they require. They might accept your application without (so you'd have to do remedial coursework as a graduate student), but that depends on the program and how many applicants you compete against i the admissions process.

Beside giving you more additional background in core material (probably needed for the GRE's, taking physics classes means you'll meet physics faculty. Hopefully they know your research adviser in chem and they'll be supportive. Have at least one of these faculty write one of your recommendation letters and provide support to your pursuit of a physics grad degree (i.e. say you're capable of it). Definitely have your research adviser write a letter, since research is a BIG weight factor in admissions committees.

You'll need to prepare and take the physics GRE. (Obviously.)

You might want to apply for more graduate programs than average, and be realistic in your choices.

But I'd be optimistic if I were you. I got accepted into some EE programs for a phd program with my physics bachelor's degree (although I had a master's in an interdisciplinary engineering/physics "electro-optics" program too, so that helped). I eventually chose to stay physics, but that was personal choice.

Best luck!

I can understand your interest and fascination with both chemistry and physics. Both fields deal with the fundamental building blocks of our world, and it's not uncommon for someone to have a shift in interests as they progress through their studies.

In terms of transitioning from chemistry to physics, it is definitely a viable option. Many scientists have made similar transitions and have been successful in their new field. It's great that you have already taken some physics courses and have a strong background in mathematics, as those are crucial skills for studying physics.

However, I would recommend taking some more advanced physics courses to strengthen your knowledge and understanding of the subject. This will not only make you a more competitive applicant for graduate programs, but it will also give you a better foundation for your future research in physics. Additionally, taking the GRE subject test in physics will also showcase your knowledge and dedication to the field.

I would also suggest reaching out to professors or graduate students in physics programs to get their perspective and advice on making the transition. They may have valuable insights and tips for you.

In terms of your minor in computer science, that could also be a valuable asset in the field of physics, as many areas of research involve computational work. So don't discount that as a disadvantage.

Overall, as long as you have a strong interest and motivation for pursuing physics, I believe you have a good chance of being successful in your transition. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between chemistry and physics?

Chemistry is the study of matter and the changes it undergoes, while physics is the study of energy and how it interacts with matter. Chemistry focuses on the composition, properties, and reactions of substances, while physics examines the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy.

2. Can chemistry and physics be integrated or combined?

Yes, chemistry and physics are closely related and can be integrated or combined in certain areas of study, such as physical chemistry, which applies physical principles to understand chemical processes.

3. How does chemistry relate to physics in everyday life?

Chemistry and physics play important roles in our daily lives. Chemical reactions, such as combustion, are based on fundamental principles of physics, while physics concepts like electricity and magnetism are essential in the functioning of devices we use in our daily lives, such as cell phones and computers.

4. What are some examples of chemistry and physics working together?

An example of chemistry and physics working together is in the field of materials science, where chemists and physicists collaborate to develop new materials with specific properties for different applications. Another example is in the study of nanotechnology, where both chemistry and physics principles are used to manipulate and understand matter at the nanoscale.

5. How do chemistry and physics contribute to advancements in technology?

Chemistry and physics are the foundations of many technological advancements. For example, understanding the properties of materials at the atomic level has led to the development of new materials for use in electronics and medicine. Additionally, the principles of physics are essential for technologies such as lasers, semiconductors, and renewable energy sources.