What if a major isn't offered at a particular college?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between aerospace engineering and physics, and the speaker's preference for aerospace engineering. They also mention their interest in the University of Kentucky's aerospace certificate program, and the possibility of pursuing a double major in mechanical and aerospace engineering. They also consider the option of majoring in physics and potentially working in the aerospace industry with a graduate degree.
STS816
I'm torn between aerospace engineering and physics at the moment but I'm beginning to lean towards aerospace engineering. Now I'm seriously looking at University of Kentucky but they don't specifically offer it as a major but I've seen it grouped under mechanical engineering at other colleges. What exactly does this mean? Is it truly aerospace engineering? Should I look at another college just because of this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical and Aerospace are 2 classes apart where I went for undergrad.

At my school there is a 6 class difference. I'm doing a double major in Mechanical/Aerospace, and it's basically adding 1 extra semester. If you want aerospace, you need classes like propulsion, aircraft design, flight dynamics, etc.

On UK's website, they have an aerospace certificate program that seems to include these classes.
http://www.engr.uky.edu/pdf_docs/me/AerospaceCertificate.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the website but I think that is for grad students. Under their Departments list, aerospace engineering isn't listed at all.

This may sound obvious, but if you want to major in Aerospace Engineering, you should attend a college that has a degree in Aerospace Engineering.

So if I do a physics major, could I potentially work on spacecraft once I have a degree? My main problem with a physics major is that I really don't want to sit around at a desk all day and crunch numbers. I'd actually like to do something with it.

STS816 said:
So if I do a physics major, could I potentially work on spacecraft once I have a degree? My main problem with a physics major is that I really don't want to sit around at a desk all day and crunch numbers. I'd actually like to do something with it.

If you plan on going to grad school, you could always get your BS in Physics and MS in Aerospace Engineering. This is a better bet ( short of getting a PhD ) for getting a job in the aerospace industry rather than just a BS.

STS816 said:
So if I do a physics major, could I potentially work on spacecraft once I have a degree?

Sure. But be aware that having a newly minted BS degree probably means you will have very little discretion in what you work on day to day. You'll be doing what people with more education, experience or both tell you to do. That may mean sitting at your desk and calculating.

1. What should I do if my desired major is not offered at a particular college?

There are a few different options you can consider if your desired major is not offered at a particular college. You can look into similar majors that are offered at the college, or you can transfer to a different college that does offer your desired major. You can also consider pursuing your desired major through online courses or independent study. It's important to carefully weigh your options and make a decision that aligns with your academic and career goals.

2. Can I still graduate with a major that is not offered at my college?

It is unlikely that you will be able to graduate with a major that is not offered at your college. Most colleges have specific degree requirements, and if your desired major is not offered, it is unlikely that you will be able to fulfill those requirements. However, as mentioned before, you may be able to find a similar major or pursue your desired major through alternative means.

3. How do I know if a college offers my desired major?

You can usually find a list of majors offered by a college on their website or in their course catalog. If you are unable to find this information online, you can contact the college's admissions office for more information. It's important to thoroughly research a college's offerings before applying to ensure they have the programs you are interested in.

4. Can I change my major to something that is not offered at my college?

It may be possible to change your major to something that is not offered at your college, but it will depend on the specific policies and requirements of the college. You will likely need to work closely with an academic advisor to determine if this is a viable option and what steps you will need to take to make the change.

5. Will not having a specific major impact my future career prospects?

It depends on the career you are interested in. Some careers may require a specific major, while others may be more flexible. It's important to research the typical requirements for your desired career and determine if having a particular major is necessary. You can also network and gain experience in your desired field through internships, volunteer work, and other opportunities, which can make up for not having a specific major.