Canadian Universities for Astronomy and Physics

In summary, the top astronomy schools in Canada are Western and University of Victoria. The chances of becoming an astronaut are less likely if you don't already have a graduate degree in astronomy.
Shilly
Hi, I'm looking to go into astronomy and do a little physics as well. My question is which are the top astronomy schools in Canada? I've looked at University of Victoria and it looks pretty solid, as well as Western.
I was also wondering what are the chances of becoming an astronaut? The time i am eligible for NASA in the US, it will be in at least a decade, but also how many people will we be needing to send into space in 10 years, rather than robotics?

Thanks for the help

regards,

Shilly

Physics news on Phys.org
There is Université Laval in Québec who is well known in physics.
McGill University in Montréal too.

University of Toronto has an excellent graduate astrophysics program (totally biased answer because I'm in it, but we are basically the hub for astronomy in the country). Based on what I've seen though, I wouldn't do my undergrad at U of T. Like most big schools, the student experience sucks. Something to keep in mind when applying for university...the big name schools may have allure, but you'll just be a number to the administration, just another cog in the machine. You'll have to fend for yourself. Don't expect much one on one interaction or personal attention in any of your classes.

Only go into physics and/or astronomy if you are interested in the science and want to be a scientist. It's not the greatest means to an end for becoming an astronaut, as the two things are quite different from each other*. Of course, nobody makes career plans to become an astronaut, you need a plan B. What I'm saying is that if you really like the science, then physics/astronomy is fine as that plan B. Otherwise, maybe some other technical field, or even medicine would suffice. On that note, let's talk more about the requirements. If you're a Canadian citizen, you need to apply to the CSA's astronaut program, NOT NASA's. The CSA requires that you have:

at least a bachelor's degree in the natural sciences or engineering and several years of work experience (I believe it is 3 yrs)

OR

a medical degree and several years of work experience

OR

a graduate degree (master's or PhD) in which case no additional work experience is required. There may be a fourth option too, but I can't remember what it is (military?)
Don't quote me on this stuff, go to their website.

There was a recruitment drive this past summer, and I applied, even though I was not eligible, because for me it has always been a childhood dream to be an astronaut. I wasn't eligible because I just graduated with my bachelor's in Engineering Physics (no work experience) and just started my PhD in Astrophysics (no graduate degree yet). As a result, I was rejected. So, this recruitment drive came 5 years too early for me. But I figured, what the hell. I knew I was going to be rejected, but it couldn't hurt to apply. Who knows when the next recruitment drive will be.

The *manned* space program is definitely not that relevant to science (although people do debate this, especially when it comes to the exploration of Mars). I think a lot of people are of the opinion that robotic exploration is more efficient, we will learn more from it, and carries less inherent risk. Besides, when it comes to the study of anything beyond our solar system, the word "exploration" is no longer quite right, regardless of whether it involves humans or robots, because we will not actually be going there. For the rest of astronomy, what's needed is the next generation of orbiting observatories (i.e. space telescopes), and that is being worked on as we speak. So, to answer your final question, we don't really *need* to send people to space...that is the wrong question to ask. We do it because we *can.* So the question to ask is whether our policymakers will continue to think that it is worthwhile to send people into space. Nobody can predict that. I've heard that the U.S. congress is quite fickle about the space program, and we are falling on hard economic times. If those economic hard times become a more permanent fixture and are just a fact of life, then it will be even more difficult to economically justify the manned space program than it is right now. So, nobody knows what's going to happen. That's the other reason why you don't *plan* to be an astronaut (the first reason being the low probability of being accepted). ;-)

Thanks for the responses.

I know what you mean about having a Plan B, and i really don't know what that is yet. I love astronomy so I hope it will be in that field, but that is all i know right now. The reason i said NASA is because I realize that there are many more US astronauts than Canadian, so if I happen to go to the US for 5 years (or whatever the amount of years you need to live in the us to get citizenship is) get my citizenship and apply for NASA, with higher hopes of being accepted than in the CSA.

How often do they do recruitment drives? They are quite random i recall, but is there an average every 'x' years?

And what kind of jobs should i be looking into as a plan B? I don't think there is huge money in many astronomy fields, but which fields pay the highest? (just as a 'good to know' kind of thing, money isn't a huge factor in my career).

I have to start applying within a few months, but I still don't know exactly what i want to do so all help and input is much appreciated!

1. What are the top Canadian universities for studying astronomy and physics?

The top Canadian universities for studying astronomy and physics are the University of Toronto, the University of British Columbia, McGill University, the University of Alberta, and the University of Waterloo. These universities have highly ranked astronomy and physics departments and offer a wide range of research opportunities for students.

2. What majors or degree programs are offered in astronomy and physics at Canadian universities?

Most Canadian universities offer majors or degree programs in astronomy and physics, such as a Bachelor of Science in Astrophysics, Bachelor of Science in Physics, or a combined major in Physics and Astronomy. Some universities also offer specialized programs, such as a Bachelor of Astrophysics or a Bachelor of Physics and Astronomy Honours.

3. What research opportunities are available for students at Canadian universities in the field of astronomy and physics?

Canadian universities offer a wide range of research opportunities for students in the field of astronomy and physics. Students can participate in research projects through their coursework, work as research assistants for professors, or join research teams and conduct their own projects. Many universities also have observatories and other research facilities available for student use.

4. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for studying astronomy and physics at Canadian universities?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for students studying astronomy and physics at Canadian universities. Some universities offer departmental scholarships specifically for students in these fields, while others offer general scholarships and financial aid that can be applied to any major. It is also worth researching external funding opportunities, such as government grants and private scholarships.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with degrees in astronomy and physics from Canadian universities?

Graduates with degrees in astronomy and physics from Canadian universities have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in various fields, such as astrophysics, cosmology, engineering, data analysis, and education. Many graduates also pursue further education in graduate or professional programs in areas such as astronomy, physics, or engineering. The critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills gained through these degrees are highly transferable and can lead to successful careers in many industries.