How Is This Torque Equation Derived?

• Thread starter Thales
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary: L}and the absolute time derivative (i.e, in which the axes is considered rotating):\frac{d\vec{L}}{dt}_{abs}=\frac{dL_{x}}{dt}\vec{i}_{x,b}+\frac{dL_{y}}{dt}\vec{i}_{y,b}+\frac{dL_{z}}{dt}\vec{i}_{z,b}+\vec{\omega}\times\vec{L}
Thales
I have this book, which provides the following torque equation for a rigid body:

[tex]\sum\tau_{cg} = \frac{dL_{cg}}{dt} = I\frac{d\omega}{dt} + (\omega \times (I\omega))[/tex]

Where [tex]L_{cg}[/tex] is the angular momentum around the CG. The moments, inertia tensor, and angular velocity are all expressed in local (body) coordinates.

This is all fine and dandy, but what is not provided is a derivation. I'm wondering if anyone knows its derivation, because I don't fully understand its meaning. :uhh:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the answer has something to do with the fact you are dealing with motion in a noninertial reference frame. You may be dealing with "fixed" axes and "rotating" axes. The derivation may lie in the section pertaining to rotating coordinate systems under the noninertial reference frames chapter. For example, in my dynamics text I found a derivation for an equation matching the one you show, except that it was generalized for an arbitrary vector. In other words, just replace your vector Lcg and I(omega), which are equivalent, with a general vector and you get the equation in my book. This equation was later used with torque when dealing with Euler's equations for a rigid body. Hope this helps.

BTW I would have given you the equation in my book directly, however, I do not yet know how to input formulas in this forum yet!

I know it, but it's long and boring. Beleive me, you're not missing anything crucial. If you want the proof I have it complete in my lecture notes. They are not in English, but I think you would have no problem understanding the proof. If you are interesting I can email you the doc.

Thanks to both of you for the feedback.

quarkman, if you want to learn about using latex, check out:

Latex

tomkeus, even if it's boring, I'd love to see it. :biggrin:

I'm not sure if this forum provides an email attachment capability... But you can send it to jwalway@hotmail.com

Thanks again!

I have sent it.

Given a set of body-fixed unit coordinate vectors
[tex]\vec{i}_{x,b},\vec{i}_{y,b},\vec{i}_{z,b}[/tex]
for a body that rotates absolutely with [tex]\vec{\omega}[/tex],
the time change of these absolutely is given by:
[tex]\frac{d\vec{i}_{x,b}}{dt}_{abs}=\vec{\omega}\times\vec{i}_{x,b}[/tex]
and similarly for the two others.
(Clearly, this is a statement, not a proof, but ought to be obvious)

Let a vector be given in body coordinates:
[tex]\vec{L}=L_{x}\vec{i}_{x,b}+L_{y}\vec{i}_{y,b}+L_{z}\vec{i}_{z,b}[/tex]
Hence, the absolute time derivative is given by:
[tex]\frac{d\vec{L}}{dt}_{abs}=\frac{d\vec{L}}{dt}_{rel}+\vec{\omega}\times\vec{L}[/tex]
Here, we have the relative time derivative (i.e, in which the axes is considered fixed):
[tex]\frac{d\vec{L}}{dt}_{rel}=\frac{dL_{x}}{dt}\vec{i}_{x,b}+\frac{dL_{y}}{dt}\vec{i}_{y,b}+\frac{dL_{z}}{dt}\vec{i}_{z,b}[/tex]

1. What is torque and how is it measured?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force on an object. It is measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as newton-meters or pound-feet. To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied and the distance from the force to the object's pivot point.

2. How is the torque equation derived?

The torque equation is derived from the principles of rotational motion and Newton's second law of motion. It states that the torque applied to an object is equal to the product of the force applied and the distance from the force to the object's pivot point. Mathematically, it can be represented as τ = F x r, where τ is torque, F is force, and r is the distance.

3. What are the different types of torque?

There are two types of torque: static torque and dynamic torque. Static torque refers to the torque required to keep an object in a fixed position, while dynamic torque refers to the torque needed to change the rotational speed of an object. Both types of torque are important in understanding the motion of rotating objects.

4. How is the torque equation used in real-world applications?

The torque equation is used in various real-world applications, such as designing machines and mechanical systems. It is also used in physics and engineering to analyze rotational motion and calculate the necessary forces to achieve a desired torque. In the automotive industry, for example, the torque equation is used to calculate the amount of force needed to move a vehicle's wheels and propel it forward.

5. What factors can affect torque?

Several factors can affect torque, including the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the distance from the force to the pivot point, and the mass and distribution of mass of the object. Other factors, such as friction and air resistance, can also affect torque in real-world scenarios.