Ideal Gas Equation-Thermodynamics

P=AV. This leads to the final temperature T2 being equal to T1/4.In summary, the question asks to find the final temperature T2 in terms of T1 for an ideal gas that is compressed reversibly against a piston to a volume equal to one half its original volume, while maintaining a relationship of P=AV. The final temperature is found to be T2=T1/4.
MarsVolta

Homework Statement

An ideal gas originally at temperature T1 and pressure P1 is compressed reversibly against a piston to a volume equal to one half its original volume. The temperature of the gas is varied during the compression so that at each instant the relation P=AV is satisfied, A=Constant.
Find the final tempertature T2 in terms of T1

Homework Equations

PV=nrT

The Attempt at a Solution

P1V1=nRT1
P2V1/2=nRT2

V1=nRT1/P1=2nRT2/P2

Canceling yields: P2T1=2T2P1

Then: T2=T1P2/2P1

This is where I get stuck..The answer is suppose to be T2=T1/4

I can't find where to get the 4 from or how to cancel the P's

Physics news on Phys.org
MarsVolta said:
Then: T2=T1P2/2P1

From here, use the information you are given that P=AV...

MarsVolta said:

Write the expression for T in terms of V (hint you have to use the relationship between P and V that you are given).

To find Tf substitute .5Vi for Vf.

AM

1. What is the Ideal Gas Equation?

The Ideal Gas Equation, also known as the General Gas Equation, is a thermodynamic equation that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

2. What is the significance of the Ideal Gas Equation?

The Ideal Gas Equation is significant because it allows us to calculate the properties of a gas under different conditions. It is used in many areas of science and engineering, including chemistry, physics, and thermodynamics, to describe the behavior of gases.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Ideal Gas Equation?

The Ideal Gas Equation is based on the following assumptions: 1) the gas particles are point masses with negligible volume, 2) the gas particles do not interact with each other, 3) the gas particles are in constant random motion, and 4) the collisions between gas particles and the container walls are perfectly elastic.

4. How does the Ideal Gas Equation relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The Ideal Gas Equation is based on the combined gas law, which combines Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and Avogadro's Law. These laws are fundamental principles of thermodynamics that describe the relationships between pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas.

5. Can the Ideal Gas Equation be applied to all gases?

The Ideal Gas Equation is most accurate for ideal gases, which are gases that follow all of the assumptions mentioned above. In real gases, there may be deviations from the Ideal Gas Equation due to factors such as intermolecular forces and non-negligible particle volume. However, the Ideal Gas Equation can still provide useful approximations for real gases under certain conditions.