Graph analysis - how closely histogram fits poisson curve

In summary, the conversation is about analyzing data on random radioactive decay through a histogram and a Poisson Curve. The person is trying to determine if the data agrees with a Poisson Distribution and if a larger sample size (100 intervals vs. 50 intervals) would provide better analysis. They are looking for the name of the statistical method they are using, which involves finding the differences between the histogram and the curve and subtracting/adding them based on their position. It is suggested that this method is similar to finding the area under a curve, which involves calculus.
Platypus26

Homework Statement

Its about random radioactive decay. I have a histogram showing the number of counts recorded in 3 second intervals and I've drawn the Poisson Curve on the same graph.

I have a graph for 50 intervals and one for 100 intervals and I need to analyse how well the data agrees with Poisson Distribution...and see if the 100 interval graph is any better than the 50 intervals.

2. Homework Equations

n/a

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking I should add up the differences between each bar on the histogram and the curve...subtracting the ones under the curve and adding the ones above. I'm sure this has a name in statistics and I need to know what it is - that's basically my question.

What is the name of this graph analysis/statistics thing that I'm using? Or should I be doing something else?

I posted this in Physics first but I think it might be better in here...I just want to know what to look up in order to find out how to analyse my graphs!..

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is graph analysis?

Graph analysis is a method of examining and interpreting data using visual representations, such as graphs or charts. It allows scientists to identify patterns, trends, and relationships within the data.

2. What is a histogram?

A histogram is a type of graph that shows the frequency distribution of a dataset. It is composed of a series of bars, with the height of each bar representing the number of data points within a specific range or bin.

3. What is a Poisson curve?

A Poisson curve is a mathematical distribution that describes the probability of a certain number of events occurring within a specific time interval. It is often used to model data that follows a "counting" process, such as the number of customers in a store or the number of accidents on a highway.

4. How do you determine if a histogram fits a Poisson curve?

To determine if a histogram fits a Poisson curve, you can visually compare the shape of the histogram to the shape of a Poisson curve. Alternatively, you can use statistical tests, such as the Chi-square test, to assess the goodness of fit between the data and the Poisson distribution.

5. Why is it important to analyze how closely a histogram fits a Poisson curve?

Analyzing how closely a histogram fits a Poisson curve can provide valuable insights into the underlying data. If the data follows a Poisson distribution, it can help scientists make predictions and draw conclusions about the data. It can also help identify any discrepancies or outliers in the data that may need to be further investigated.