Two ring theory problems

In summary: Therefore, we have shown that R\setminus P is a multiplicative set. In summary, we have shown that R\setminus P is a multiplicative set by proving that if a,b \in R\setminus P and ab \in P, it leads to a contradiction, thus demonstrating that R\setminus P is closed under multiplication.
tom.young84
1)

R is an integral domain and P is a prime ideal.

Show R\P (R complement P or R-P) is a multiplicative set.

-Well since R is an integral domain it contains 1.
-{0} would be a prime ideal, and that was removed (is this too much to assume)

I'm not sure how to show multiplication is closed. My idea is that since we removed all prime ideals, so we have a, b in R and ab in R, we are only left with subsets where multiplication is closed.

2)

Local rings have only one maximal ideal

Could this be prove as such:

Suppose an ideal J that contains all non units. Now suppose another maximal ideal I in J and "a" (a non-unit) in J. This means that I must either be the ring R or J again. Since J is maximal, I=J and a is in J.

Physics news on Phys.org
tom.young84 said:
My idea is that since we removed all prime ideals
No, you removed the elements of P.

Outside of the case with {0}, I'm not sure why this is a multiplicative set.

(1) follows immediately from the definition of prime ideal.

tom.young84 said:
1)

R is an integral domain and P is a prime ideal.

Show R\P (R complement P or R-P) is a multiplicative set.

-Well since R is an integral domain it contains 1.
-{0} would be a prime ideal, and that was removed (is this too much to assume)

I'm not sure how to show multiplication is closed. My idea is that since we removed all prime ideals, so we have a, b in R and ab in R, we are only left with subsets where multiplication is closed.
As Hurkyl remarked you seem to have misunderstood the question. We haven't removed all prime ideals, just a single fixed one. You need to show that if a and b are elements of R\P, then ab is an element of R\P. That is assume a,b are elements of R that aren't in P. Now you need to show that ab can't possibly be in P. The easiest way is by contradiction. Suppose ab is in P. Then you have,
- a,b are not in P
- ab is in P
Can you see how this contradicts that P is a prime ideal?

2)

Local rings have only one maximal ideal

Could this be prove as such:

Suppose an ideal J that contains all non units. Now suppose another maximal ideal I in J and "a" (a non-unit) in J. This means that I must either be the ring R or J again. Since J is maximal, I=J and a is in J.
What is your definition of a local ring? It seems to be that all non-units in the ring form an ideal. If this is the case then this argument is correct.

For the first question, I understand your proof, but I don't understand why that answers the question. Your contradiction is that it violates the definition of a prime ideal. I don't understand why this demonstrates that A\P is closed under multiplication.

tom.young84 said:
For the first question, I understand your proof, but I don't understand why that answers the question. Your contradiction is that it violates the definition of a prime ideal. I don't understand why this demonstrates that A\P is closed under multiplication.

We prove that if [itex]a,b \in R\setminus P[/itex] and [itex]ab \in P[/itex] we get a contradiction, so if [itex]a,b \in R\setminus P[/itex] we must have [itex]ab \in R \setminus P[/itex] which is exactly what it means for [itex]R \setminus P[/itex] to be closed under multiplication.

1. What is the two ring theory?

The two ring theory is a concept in chemistry that describes the structure of certain compounds, particularly those with two adjacent rings. It suggests that the rings are connected by a single bond and that the atoms in each ring are in a state of resonance, meaning they can have multiple bonding configurations.

2. How does the two ring theory explain the stability of certain compounds?

The two ring theory suggests that the resonance between the two rings allows for a more stable bonding configuration, as the electrons are delocalized and can be shared between the two rings. This results in a lower energy state and increased stability of the compound.

3. What types of compounds are often described by the two ring theory?

The two ring theory is commonly used to explain the structure and properties of aromatic compounds, such as benzene and naphthalene. These compounds have two adjacent rings of atoms, which makes them ideal for application of this theory.

4. Are there any exceptions to the two ring theory?

While the two ring theory is a useful concept, there are some exceptions to its application. For example, some compounds with two rings may not exhibit resonance or may have other factors, such as steric hindrance, that affect their stability and structure.

5. How does the two ring theory relate to other theories in chemistry?

The two ring theory is closely related to other theories, such as valence bond theory and molecular orbital theory, which also describe the bonding and structure of compounds. It provides a unique perspective on the bonding in certain compounds, but is not the only theory used in chemistry.