Maximizing Team Collaboration: Odds of Receiving Assistance During Meetings

• Thread starter ngm01
  • Start date
In summary, a person from the IT department needed help with a project and reached out to three individuals who were all in meetings at the time. One of the team members responded later and questioned the likelihood of all three individuals being unavailable. The person then asked a question about the odds of this situation occurring.
ngm01
Greetings, I work in the IT dept of a large organization - yesterday I needed help with a Project. 3 people in my group (my group is a subset of the organization, the other subsets are unrelated functions) are familiar with a particular piece of hardware related to the Project, and were all in meetings when I reached out to them. A member of the Team I reached out to responded later with the remark..."Wow! you needed help when we were all in a meeting?...what are the odds of that happening?

My question is : should the answer be the 3/(Total number of employees in org) = (3/@1000) * 100 = 0.3% or 100-(1/(number of employees expected to know about the project)) = 1/3 * 100 = 66.7% or is it a more complex dependency.

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
well what did you have for breakfast?

What exactly are "Needles in haystacks"?

"Needles in haystacks" is a common phrase used to describe a difficult or nearly impossible task. It refers to the idea of trying to find something small or rare in a large and chaotic environment, similar to searching for a needle in a haystack.

Can needles really get lost in haystacks?

While it may seem unlikely, it is possible for small objects like needles to get lost in haystacks. Haystacks can be quite large and dense, making it difficult to find a small object unless you know exactly where to look.

Why is finding needles in haystacks considered difficult?

The phrase "needles in haystacks" is used to describe a difficult task because the task itself is tedious and time-consuming. It requires a lot of effort and patience to search through a large and chaotic environment, making it a challenging and frustrating task.

Is there a specific technique for finding needles in haystacks?

There is no specific technique for finding needles in haystacks, but there are some strategies that can make the task easier. For example, using a metal detector or sifting through the haystack can increase the chances of finding the needle.

Can the phrase "needles in haystacks" be applied to other situations?

Yes, the phrase "needles in haystacks" is often used in a figurative sense to describe any difficult or seemingly impossible task. It can also be used to describe finding something rare or valuable in a large and cluttered space.