Maximum x component force on a particle given orientation

In summary, the homework statement is that a particle with charge Q is located on the Y axis a distance a from the origin. A second particle with a charge q is played on the X axis a distance d from the origin. The value of d for which the x component of the force on the second particle is the greatest is: a)0, b)a, c)root(2)*a, d) a/2, e) a/root(2).
jegues

Homework Statement

A particle with charge Q is located on the Y axis a distance a from the origin. A second particle with a charge q is played on the X axis a distance d from the origin. The value of d for which the x component of the force on the second particle is the greatest is:

a)0, b)a, c)root(2)*a, d) a/2, e) a/root(2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my attempt at the problem so far,

attachment.php?attachmentid=31645&stc=1&d=1296087128.jpg

I determined the x component of the force on the 2nd particle due to the first and I see what portion of the equation I must maximize but I don't see how to actually choose d (or solve d) such that it is maximized in terms of a.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Q2.JPG
    Q2.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 2,958
Physics news on Phys.org
jegues said:
I determined the x component of the force on the 2nd particle due to the first and I see what portion of the equation I must maximize but I don't see how to actually choose d (or solve d) such that it is maximized in terms of a.

Any ideas?
So far, so good! :approve:

I can see from your figure that you already know that [tex] r = \sqrt{a^2 + d^2} [/tex].

Plug that into your d/r3, then maximize the result with respect to the variable d (treat everything else as a constant [even a]). :wink:

collinsmark said:
So far, so good! :approve:

I can see from your figure that you already know that [tex] r = \sqrt{a^2 + d^2} [/tex].

Plug that into your d/r3, then maximize the result with respect to the variable d (treat everything else as a constant [even a]). :wink:

Yes I knew this portion, but what I don't know how to maximize it. I should have made my question clearer.

Can you clarify?

jegues said:
Yes I knew this portion, but what I don't know how to maximize it. I should have made my question clearer.

Can you clarify?
To maximize a function, take the derivative with respect to whatever variable you wish to vary, and then set the result equal to zero. Solve for the variable (algebra). That's the value of the variable that maximizes or minimizes the function.*

*The answer can give local maxima or local minima. So if you get multiple values (such as in a quadratic), you might wish to do some sanity checking to figure out what each value is. In this particular problem though, you end up with a single maximum (no minimum) so the need for sanity checking doesn't apply here.

The idea behind the procedure is this: When a smooth function rises to the top of its [possibly local] maximum or bottom of its [possibly local] minimum, the slope of the line is zero at this point. So the above procedure is merely finding where the slope of the function equals zero, as the variable changes.

collinsmark said:
To maximize a function, take the derivative with respect to whatever variable you wish to vary, and then set the result equal to zero. Solve for the variable (algebra). That's the value of the variable that maximizes or minimizes the function.*

*The answer can give local maxima or local minima. So if you get multiple values (such as in a quadratic), you might wish to do some sanity checking to figure out what each value is. In this particular problem though, you end up with a single maximum (no minimum) so the need for sanity checking doesn't apply here.

The idea behind the procedure is this: When a smooth function rises to the top of its [possibly local] maximum or bottom of its [possibly local] minimum, the slope of the line is zero at this point. So the above procedure is merely finding where the slope of the function equals zero, as the variable changes.

At the start the algebra looked a little ugly but then I remembered since we are setting this expression equal to 0 I only needed to consider the numerator.

I was able to conclude that the correct answer is,

[tex]d = \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Thanks again!

1. What is the maximum x component force on a particle?

The maximum x component force on a particle refers to the maximum amount of force that can be applied in the horizontal direction (x-axis) to a particle without causing it to move in the vertical direction (y-axis).

2. How is the maximum x component force on a particle determined?

The maximum x component force on a particle is determined by the orientation of the particle in relation to the applied force. It is calculated using trigonometric functions and the angle of the particle's orientation.

3. What factors can affect the maximum x component force on a particle?

The maximum x component force on a particle can be affected by the weight and mass of the particle, as well as the angle of its orientation. Other factors such as friction and air resistance can also play a role.

4. How can the maximum x component force on a particle be increased?

The maximum x component force on a particle can be increased by increasing the angle of the particle's orientation, increasing the force applied in the horizontal direction, or decreasing the weight and mass of the particle.

5. Why is the maximum x component force on a particle important to consider?

The maximum x component force on a particle is important to consider because it can help determine the stability and movement of a particle in a given system. It can also help in designing structures and machines that can withstand specific amounts of force in different directions.