Getting Into Research with a Limited Physics Background

In summary: I guess you could say, sophomore interested in his research. I told him about my previous coursework and he said that I was welcome to come and look at some of his current research projects. I ended up spending a couple of hours looking at a few and he even gave me the chance to do some research with him on one of his more complicated projects. In the end, we had a great relationship and I ended up getting a summer research grant from him.In summary, Nabeshin's advise is to just start talking to professors. They are more than happy to discuss what they are working on and what is possible for someone with limited backgrounds in physics. Nabeshin's research advisor ended up being very supportive and he
Spherical Cow
I am sophomore that just recently switched into physics from engineering. As a result, my physics background is weaker than most sophomores. I'm applying for a summer research grant at my university, and I'm trying to find a professor to work with.

I've browsed through all the faculty research profiles, and found some research areas I might be interested in. But I'm hesitant to commit to one of them without knowing exactly what I'm getting into. It seems most people usually take a class in the area they are interested in before they begin researching that field. But in my case, I probably won't be able to take any advanced physics courses until my senior year, and I'd really like to begin research now. I've spoken with several professors. All of them are looking for a long-term commitment of at least two summers. Many of them are also politely turning me down because of insufficient physics coursework. One of them even suggested that I go back to engineering, which was quite disappointing to hear.

Given my lack of physics experience, what advice do you have on choosing a research area? What is the best way to approach professors? I feel like most of them are dismissing me right now, even though I try my best to understand their research before meeting with them.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't imagine that your sophomore peers are going to have THAT much more physics background.

Most undergrads that get involved with research don't really know what they're jumping into (and those that think they do are likely just big talkers). There is also no real way to tell if you're going to like a particular project ahead of time. Unfortunately getting research experience is kind of a READY FIRE AIM type of thing.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing. Just start talking to your profs and let them know what you're interested in - or at least what you think you might be interested in. Ask if they have any projects available of if they know of anyone who does. Other good avenues for insight include:
- grad students
- senior undergrad students who are working on projects,
- physics society people
- undergrad advisor

Something else that might help is to look up an undergraduate conference and see if you can get a hold of the abstracts that were published. In Canada there's the Canadian Undergraduate Physics Conference. I'm sure the US would have something similar, but larger.

Also the personality of the person in charge of the research is likely to be much more important than the topic itself. People usually learn to love/hate a topic based on the people they meet that are involved with the topic.

I started doing research with no more physics background than what high school and AP courses gave me. Sure, you won't be playing with field equations, but it's definitely possible. The trick is finding the right professor.

The fact is, most sophomores don't know enough physics to make a huge contribution in that respect. Even if you were the typical sophomore physics major, you'd probably have better luck with any other marketable skills you might have, such as programming or lab work.

Leveret said:
The fact is, most sophomores don't know enough physics to make a huge contribution in that respect. Even if you were the typical sophomore physics major, you'd probably have better luck with any other marketable skills you might have, such as programming or lab work.

This is very true. Most undergraduate research jobs do not really involve physics that heavily or at all. Rather, you end up using some program, writing some code, or tinkering with some lab equipment. You do not necessarily need to know the big picture for your small efforts, although it is nice to understand the full scope of what's going on. And of course, generally once you have your foot in the door you will learn quickly about the specific area you are researching and in a few years time you might even be able to contribute something to the actual science of the project.

I mean, it might be a little disheartening for professors to hear that you've switched to engineering, since this means that your background is not as good as it could be AND you will not be learning physics at a very fast rate. That said, just persevere and try and find that one professor/project that's going to work, there's not really much else to be said.

@Nabeshin: He's switched to physics from engineering.

@OP: I'll tell you what happened with me. My current research advisor was pretty skeptical sounding the first time I went to him. I was really interested in his work (theoretical/computational astrophysics) and I thought he might not be so excited to find some 1st year kid with no real physics or math classes under his belt. I could program really well, but that's about it, the rest of it I said I'm willing to learn. I emailed him again once and he didn't give a response. Finally, a week later, I went back to his office and said hey, remember me? I want to do research! After that we set up a meeting with another astrophysicist and sorted out what project I could start out with. It worked out really well, now I'm getting paid and working on publishing in the APJ.

These professors may just not be very enthused by someone without much skills that they can use, but you want to show that you're dedicated and that you really want a straight answer from them. Can they help you, are they willing to teach you material, will they spend time with you to help you understand the research, are they even going to give a damn? If they can't then fine, better that you get involved with someone a little more helpful for your first research project anyway.

Just be persistent. In my case, that really helped to show that I was serious. It might also help to let them know that you like to study physics in your free time and if there's anything that they want you to study or learn on your own first, then have them tell you what exactly that is. As long as you say hey, I'm here I'll work hard just give me a chance, and if you get lucky and find someone who cares about students, it might just work out. From there you can climb higher and higher, but you've got to start somewhere.

hadsed said:
@Nabeshin: He's switched to physics from engineering.

Whoops! Most of my comments still stand, though.

1. What is research in physics?

Research in physics involves conducting experiments, analyzing data, and developing theories to better understand the physical world and its fundamental laws. It can also involve studying and explaining various phenomena, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. Can I do research in physics with a limited background?

Yes, it is possible to get involved in research in physics with a limited background. While a strong foundation in physics is helpful, many research projects only require a basic understanding of concepts and principles. Additionally, there are opportunities for students to work with more experienced researchers and learn as they go.

3. How can I get started in research with a limited physics background?

One way to get started in research with a limited physics background is to reach out to professors or researchers in your area of interest and inquire about any opportunities for students to get involved. You can also look for internships or research programs specifically designed for students with limited backgrounds in physics.

4. What skills are necessary for research in physics?

Some important skills for research in physics include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. It is also beneficial to have a strong foundation in mathematics, as it is heavily used in physics research. Additionally, having a curious and persistent mindset is essential for success in research.

5. What are the benefits of participating in research with a limited physics background?

Participating in research with a limited physics background can provide valuable hands-on experience and exposure to the research process. It can also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are useful in many fields. Additionally, it can open up opportunities for further education and career advancement in the field of physics.