Baseball's Initial Velocity Problem

In summary: F/√2 into the x equation, and eliminate t to find F …In summary, the problem involves finding the initial velocity of a baseball that was hit at a 45 degree angle 1.3m above the ground and barely cleared a 3m wall 130m away. The equation of motion is used to solve for the initial velocity, with the time and force being represented by t and F/√2 respectively. The time and force are substituted into the x and y equations to eliminate t and ultimately find the initial velocity.
unholymist

Homework Statement

A baseball is hit at a 45 degree angle 1.3m above the ground. It barely clears a 3m wall 130m away. With what velocity was the ball hit?

Homework Equations

Equations of Motion

The Attempt at a Solution

So I realized that without air resistance this would be a parabolic motion. Since the starting angle is 45 degrees, the 1.7m height (3-1.3) at 130m away cannot be the vertex. I don't think gravity would diminish the vertical force that much. I did some calculations to verify and found the time would be 0.52s for this to be true, making the horizontal velocity 220m/s... making the initial vertical and horizontal not equal... etc.

Anyway I can't see any other way of solving this. I've determined the initial vertical velocity to be Fsin45 and the horizontal to be Fcos45 (F being the magnitude of the 45 degree vector). I can't find any way to isolate F... help?

Thanks. >.<

Physics news on Phys.org
hi unholymist! :smile:

(i don't understand how you got the time :confused:)

you know the initial velocity in each direction is F/√2 …

so call the time t, do x and y equations, and eliminate t to find F …

what do you get? :smile:

(btw, why F? most people use V)

tiny-tim said:
hi unholymist! :smile:

(i don't understand how you got the time :confused:)

you know the initial velocity in each direction is F/√2 …

so call the time t, do x and y equations, and eliminate t to find F …

what do you get? :smile:

(btw, why F? most people use V)

Well... I know that there's that special triangle with the 45 degree angles but the value wouldn't be exactly √2 here... how would I determine the actual value?

unholymist said:
Well... I know that there's that special triangle with the 45 degree angles but the value wouldn't be exactly √2 here... how would I determine the actual value?

i don't understand :confused:

cos45° = sin45° = 1/√2, so put time = t and force = F

I would approach this problem by using the equations of motion to analyze the motion of the baseball. In this case, we have the initial angle, height, and distance traveled, and we are looking for the initial velocity.

First, we can use the equation for horizontal distance, x = x0 + v0x*t, to find the initial horizontal velocity (v0x). Plugging in the given values, we get:

130m = 0 + v0x * t

Next, we can use the equation for vertical displacement, y = y0 + v0y*t + 1/2*g*t^2, to find the initial vertical velocity (v0y). Again, plugging in the given values, we get:

1.7m = 1.3m + v0y * t - 1/2*9.8m/s^2 * t^2

Using the fact that the ball barely clears the 3m wall, we can set the final vertical displacement to be 3m. This will give us a second equation:

3m = 1.3m + v0y * t - 1/2*9.8m/s^2 * t^2

Now we have two equations with two unknowns (v0x and v0y) and we can solve for them simultaneously. Solving for v0x in the first equation and substituting into the second equation, we get:

3m = 1.3m + (130m/t) * t - 1/2*9.8m/s^2 * t^2

Solving for t, we get t = 2.64 seconds. Plugging this back into the first equation, we get v0x = 49.24 m/s.

Next, we can use this value of v0x to solve for v0y in the second equation:

3m = 1.3m + v0y * 2.64s - 1/2*9.8m/s^2 * (2.64s)^2

Solving for v0y, we get v0y = 19.6 m/s.

Therefore, the initial velocity of the baseball is 49.24 m/s at an angle of 45 degrees. This means that the initial velocity vector has a magnitude of 49.24 m/s and is directed

What is the initial velocity problem in baseball?

The initial velocity problem in baseball refers to the calculation of the initial velocity of a thrown ball. It is used to determine the speed at which the pitcher throws the ball and how fast it travels towards the batter.

How is the initial velocity of a baseball calculated?

The initial velocity of a baseball is calculated by measuring the time it takes for the ball to travel from the pitcher's hand to the batter's plate and the distance between the two points. Using the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time, the initial velocity can be determined.

What factors can affect the initial velocity of a baseball?

The initial velocity of a baseball can be affected by several factors, including the strength and technique of the pitcher, air resistance, and the type of pitch being thrown (e.g. fastball, curveball, etc.). The type of ball being used and the temperature and humidity of the air can also impact the initial velocity.

Why is knowing the initial velocity important in baseball?

Knowing the initial velocity in baseball is important for several reasons. It can help coaches and players analyze and improve pitching technique, as well as assess a pitcher's overall performance. It can also inform batters on what to expect from a pitcher and how to adjust their swing accordingly.

Are there any limitations or challenges in calculating the initial velocity of a baseball?

Yes, there are limitations and challenges in calculating the initial velocity of a baseball. Factors such as human error in timing the throw and the distance between points, as well as external factors like wind and air resistance, can affect the accuracy of the calculation. The type of pitch being thrown can also make it difficult to accurately determine the initial velocity. Additionally, the initial velocity may change throughout the course of a game as the pitcher becomes fatigued.