Best way to gain electronics knowledge? (for undergrad physics major)

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for three specific skills (programming, fabrication/machining/welding, and electronics knowledge) in order to be successful in a professor or REU program. The individual is currently in the process of obtaining programming skills and is proficient in fabrication/machining/welding, but lacks knowledge in electronics. They are considering using kits and hobby books to learn, but are unsure of their effectiveness. Suggestions are made to take an EE course or to learn through building projects on their own. Recommendations for books and online resources are also provided.
MissSilvy
I see more and more that any professor or REU program wants one of three skills: programming (which I am in the process of obtaining), fabrication/machining/welding(which I know very well), or electronics knowledge, the latter which I do not have and have no idea even where to start.

I know there are kits and small hobby-type books available and I was considering this route but I don't know how well that will work. The book The Art of Electronics has been suggested but it is very painfully out of date with respect to digital electronics. I have enough classes on my plate with just physics, let alone finding the time to take weed-out electrical engineer courses. I have gone to the electronics shop on my campus and I think that would be the best place to learn but they said they currently do not need anyone but may in the summer. What else can I do? I want these skills, not just to woo professors to let me help with their projects, but also to add to my repertoire of technical knowledge. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
first, don't read "the art of electronics". that is not meant to be a reading/learning book, it's a reference book.

my first guess was to recommend an EE sophomore level class in circuits. that class would be the backbone of anything you want to learn about in electronics.
but you don't seem to want to do that...

all i can recommend is to try and build things on your own. try building a clock with AC or something. there are plenty of projects that need can be build in a hobby setting, so have at it.
oh, and there is a student manual for the art of electronics. you could try running through that. we used that for my semester course on electronics.

Here's what I did, I bought a couple electronics books from the thrift store (any I could find) and also picked up some old electronics. Radios, little toys with motors, etc. I just played around with them and made little circuits. After I felt more comfortable with those things I bought a programmable robot which is my current project.

The robot is light years beyond the thrift store gadgets but I did learn a lot from those toys especially about troubleshooting. You can imagine that most of those ragged old electronics didn't work when I bought so I had to figure out why, haha. Good luck.

Sedra and Smith's Microelectronics Books is alright, though it can be as large and difficult to read as the Art of Electronics due to the sheer bulk of the thing. Most physics degrees have rooms for non-physics electives, I would take at least circuit analysis in the EE department though a lot of it is analog however, logic/digital design is a whole other class of a different type than circuits and analog electronics. You could probably pick a lot of it up on your own like people pick up programming and statistics looking through books and building projects but a class and an accessible circuits lab makes the process easier especially with such a broad field.

Lots of schools have their lectures and course material online, MIT for instance has a combined circuits and electronics course in their EE department available through opencourseware:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electric...e/6-002-circuits-and-electronics-spring-2007/

I also found Georgia Tech's Microelectronics courses very helpful in my own run of circuits and electronics:

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/mleach/ece3050/

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/mleach/ece3040/

Keep in mind EE's perform circuit analysis in a far more rigorous way than when you saw it in Physics II and that knowledge is assumed when you look at analog electronics dealing with op amps and transistors and such. Good luck.

As a fellow scientist and educator, I understand the importance of having a diverse set of skills in the field of physics. Electronics knowledge is becoming increasingly important in many areas of science, and it is great that you are looking to expand your skill set in this area.

There are a few different options for gaining electronics knowledge as an undergrad physics major. First, as you mentioned, there are kits and hobby books available that can be a good starting point. These can help you gain a basic understanding of electronic components and circuits.

Another option is to take a course in electronics at your university or through an online platform. This can provide a more structured learning experience and allow you to delve deeper into the subject.

Additionally, you can look for research opportunities or internships in labs or companies that focus on electronics. This will not only allow you to gain hands-on experience, but also provide the opportunity to work alongside experts in the field and learn from them.

In terms of resources, The Art of Electronics is a well-respected and comprehensive book in the field. While it may not cover the latest digital electronics, the fundamentals and principles it teaches are still relevant and important to understand. You can also supplement your learning with online resources, such as tutorials and videos, to keep up with the latest developments in the field.

Finally, I would also recommend reaching out to your professors or colleagues who have experience in electronics. They may be able to provide guidance or even mentor you in your learning journey.

Remember, learning electronics takes time and practice. Don't be discouraged if you don't grasp everything right away. Keep practicing and seeking out opportunities to apply your knowledge, and you will gradually develop your skills in this area. Good luck!

1. What courses should I take to gain electronics knowledge as an undergrad physics major?

As an undergrad physics major, it is recommended to take courses such as Introduction to Electronics, Circuits and Electronics, and Digital Electronics. These courses will provide a solid foundation in understanding the principles and applications of electronic devices.

2. Are there any online resources or tutorials that can help me learn about electronics?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available for learning about electronics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. These platforms offer free online courses and lectures on various topics in electronics.

3. How important is hands-on experience in gaining electronics knowledge?

Hands-on experience is crucial in gaining electronics knowledge. It allows you to apply theoretical concepts in a practical setting and develop troubleshooting skills. Consider taking lab courses or participating in electronics projects to gain hands-on experience.

4. What are some recommended books for learning about electronics?

There are many good books for learning about electronics, but some popular ones include "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz, and "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles K. Alexander and Matthew N.O. Sadiku.

5. How can I stay updated with new developments in the field of electronics?

To stay updated with new developments in electronics, it is recommended to read industry publications and attend conferences and workshops. Additionally, following electronics-related blogs, websites, and social media accounts can also help you stay informed about the latest advancements in the field.