Find final angular velocity of swinging meter stick

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum angular velocity of a meter stick that is suspended vertically at a pivot point and released from rest. The solution involves using the conservation of energy formula and the parallel axes theorem to find the moment of inertia about the pivot. The center of mass of the stick is located at the midpoint of the stick.
makks

Homework Statement

A meter stick is suspended vertically at a pivot point 25 cm from the top end. It is rotated on the pivot until it is horizontal and then released from rest. What will be its maximum angular velocity (in radians/second)?

Homework Equations

I began by setting up a conservation of energy formula since the earth-stick system is not influenced by any nonconservative forces.
Ugrav(i) = Krot(f)
Mgh = (1/2)Iw2

The Attempt at a Solution

When I try solving for w2 I become confused on what to use for h and for I on either side.

I'm thinking that h should be the vertical distance between the center mass at its initial and final points, which would be h = 1m - .25m = .75m

and for I: I = (1/3)ML2 where L is supposed to be the length of the rigid object; however, I do see that the pivot point is not at the end, so I do not know how to adjust this accordingly.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the parallel axes theorem to find the moment of inertia about the pivot. If you set the zero of potential energy at the pivot, then h is the distance from the pivot to the center of mass.

kuruman said:
You need to use the parallel axes theorem to find the moment of inertia about the pivot. If you set the zero of potential energy at the pivot, then h is the distance from the pivot to the center of mass.

I am having trouble reasoning whether to put the center of mass at the .5m mark (middle of the meter stick) or whether the center of mass is the midpoint between the pivot and the end of the meter stick that is swinging downward.

The center of mass of a uniform stick is the midpoint of the stick. This comes straight from the definition of center of mass which has no reference to a pivot. In other words, if you hang a stick from a pivot, the stick's center of mass will not suddenly shift to a new position. This is true for any extended massive object. Once you find its CM, that's it unless you change the distribution of the mass.

Your approach is correct. The height (h) should be the vertical distance between the initial and final positions of the center of mass. In this case, it would be 1m. As for the moment of inertia (I), you are correct that it should be (1/3)ML^2. However, since the pivot point is not at the end, you will need to use the parallel axis theorem to adjust for the distance (d) between the pivot point and the center of mass. The moment of inertia then becomes I = (1/3)ML^2 + Md^2.

Plugging this into the conservation of energy equation, you should get:

Mgh = (1/2)[(1/3)ML^2 + Md^2]w^2

Solving for w, you get:

w = √(2gh / [(1/3)L^2 + d^2])

Substituting in the values, you get:

w = √(2*9.8*1 / [(1/3)*(1)^2 + (0.25)^2])

w = √(19.6 / [0.3333 + 0.0625])

w = √(19.6 / 0.3958)

w = √49.466

w = 7.03 radians/second

Therefore, the maximum angular velocity of the swinging meter stick would be 7.03 radians/second.

1. How do you calculate the final angular velocity of a swinging meter stick?

The final angular velocity of a swinging meter stick can be calculated using the formula ω_f = √(g/L) * sin(θ_0), where g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the meter stick, and θ_0 is the initial angle of the meter stick from the vertical.

2. What is the significance of the final angular velocity in this scenario?

The final angular velocity represents the rate at which the meter stick is rotating at the end of its swing. This information is important in understanding the motion and behavior of the meter stick and can be used to make predictions about its future movements.

3. How does the length of the meter stick affect the final angular velocity?

The length of the meter stick directly affects the final angular velocity. As the length increases, the final angular velocity decreases and vice versa. This is because a longer meter stick has a larger moment of inertia, making it more difficult to rotate at a faster rate.

4. Does the initial angle of the meter stick have an impact on the final angular velocity?

Yes, the initial angle of the meter stick has a significant impact on the final angular velocity. The higher the initial angle, the greater the final angular velocity will be. This is because a higher initial angle results in a larger initial potential energy, which is converted into kinetic energy as the stick swings.

5. Are there any real-world applications of calculating the final angular velocity of a swinging meter stick?

Yes, understanding the final angular velocity of a swinging meter stick has real-world applications in fields such as physics and engineering. This information can be used to design and analyze various structures and machines, as well as to study the laws of motion and energy conservation.