Converting a laser beam to electricity with photovoltaic cells

In summary, a forum user is new and asking for help with using a laser to generate electricity with a solar panel. Another user explains that using a rectifier after the solar cells is not beneficial and suggests adding capacitors to smooth the output. The original user thanks them and mentions that the solar cells are not very efficient. The conversation then shifts to discussing potential applications for this technology and the possibility of using specialized solar cells designed for specific wavelengths. A link to a product is provided, but it is determined to be a detector rather than a power converter. The conversation ends with advice to try various solar cells to find one that works well for the desired application.
Ant1Vanden
Hi, I'm new to this forum so please don't get mad if this post is in the wrong place.

I have a laser beam pointed at a solar panel (regular PV cells) and the current comes out as expected on my oscilloscope (small waves varying like pulses between 0.45 and 0.50 V regularly). I tried rectifying the current with a full wave bridge and then simply a diode but I can't seem to get a DC output. Any insight? Does anyone know where I can find some PV cells more suited to a red or green laser?

Any help is strongly appreciated
Ant1

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Welcome to the forum

well you are going to loose ~ 1.5V through the diodes of the bridge. So therefore your tiny voltage being produce is going to be lost (dropped across the diodes)

the cells are going to be much more efficient under sunlight and you don't need a bridge rectifier, the cells produce a DC voltage anyway :)

cheers
Dave

I think in that case I'll scale up the model I'm designing in order to make the 1.5V less significant. Still are there cells that would be more suited for lasers?

Thx
Antoine

I think the real problem is that the cells are manufactured to respond best to strong bright white light. The Red (assuming (green--- it doesn't really matter)) light from you laser is so pinpoint and fainter than the sun.

cheers
Dave

That's my question, are there cells made for lasers?

Ant1Vanden said:

I won't say no, just I have never heard of them. They are too busy designing better and better cells to work in sunlight :)

Thx for the help:).
I think I'll just use 10V cells and stronger laser

Ant1Vanden said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum so please don't get mad if this post is in the wrong place.

I have a laser beam pointed at a solar panel (regular PV cells) and the current comes out as expected on my oscilloscope (small waves varying like pulses between 0.45 and 0.50 V regularly). I tried rectifying the current with a full wave bridge and then simply a diode but I can't seem to get a DC output. Any insight? Does anyone know where I can find some PV cells more suited to a red or green laser?

Solar cells give DC output. There's no possible benefit to putting a rectifier after them. If the output is pulsing it's because the laser is pulsing, and you need to smooth it, not rectify it. Add some capacitors across the solar cells to filter the output.

@cjameshuff, thank you very much! Works perfectly, although the solar cells aren't very efficient (I put in 10V and get 1 out).

Ant1Vanden said:
@cjameshuff, thank you very much! Works perfectly, although the solar cells aren't very efficient (I put in 10V and get 1 out).

It's true that solar cells aren't very efficient, especially when not designed specifically for the light source, but output voltage versus the voltage used to run the laser isn't enough to measure efficiency. 100 cells of 1/100th the area in series would give you 100 V output but 1/100th the current with the same (resistive) load, the efficiency at converting power would be no higher.

Also, your laser really takes a 10V power supply?

Uh... I don't understand any possible benefit from this.

It takes electricity to power a laser, and the power generated from the solar cell is MUCH less than required to run the laser. So, what's the point of even doing this?

Enlighten me(no pun intended) if I'm missing something here...

pallidin said:

It takes electricity to power a laser, and the power generated from the solar cell is MUCH less than required to run the laser. So, what's the point of even doing this?

Simple: the photovoltaic collector doesn't have to be located where the laser is. Wireless power transmission, at fairly decent (~50%) efficiency when high efficiency cells designed for the laser wavelength are used and scalable to higher powers than other techniques. There's several situations where not having to use cables would be worth the efficiency loss.

Ant1Vanden said:

Here's something:

http://gentec-eo.com/Content/uploads/downloads/4-Optical_Detectors/4_PH/1-Documentation/1-Specifications_Sheet/PH_2011_V1.01.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
pallidin said:

I'm using this set up to power a small remote controlled helicopter (requires about 5V) at a distance, to allow it to stay in the air indefinitely (i'm not quite there yet, but the cells is lighter than the battery that it's replacing). There are obviously several applications for this technology such as to create a telecommunication network easily in a remote area, or have a drone surveil a military base without ever needing to land and refuel...

@cjameshuff yeah it's a 'home-made' laser (well I assembled parts according to instructions), the laser isn't really a problem - I live in Hong Kong and they sell lasers of different size and shapes almost at every street shop...
@Dr Lots-o'watts thanks for the link, I'll look into it.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Here's something:

http://gentec-eo.com/Content/uploads/downloads/4-Optical_Detectors/4_PH/1-Documentation/1-Specifications_Sheet/PH_2011_V1.01.pdf

That's a detector, not something for handling any amount of power.

Large area photovoltaics suitable for converting light to electrical power, but designed for a specific wavelength band other than sunlight, are certainly technically feasible, but the demand is almost nonexistent right now, cells generally being designed to convert as much sunlight as possible at the desired price point...such a thing would probably be a custom part, and thus quite expensive.

I've poked around a bit, but they generally don't even give any sensitivity curves in the data sheet, just the output power under various lighting conditions. This information might be available if you ask the manufacturer...you may also get some free samples this way. You're probably best off trying various solar cells to find one that works well. There's some information out there on general performance of different types, for example: http://www.greenrhinoenergy.com/solar/technologies/pv_cells.php

Look at the "Spectral Sensitivity" graph. Going by their graph, amorphous silicon would be best in the green range, crystalline silicon deep in the red-infrared. The text somewhat contradicts the graph, though, I suspect the GaAs and a-Si may have gotten swapped.

I've looked around quite a bit and found this:
http://jxcrystals.com/4sale5.pdf
The cells are suited for what I'm doing but I need to place a minimum order of 2000 US $ :S

I see. Well, I would first start with determining the POWER(watts) required by your helo.
That's voltage times current. Just saying 5 volts is not enough. The important aspect is how much current is required.
Multiply each and you get a figure in WATTS.

Do you by chance happen to know how many watts are required to run your helo(with the battery)?

1. How does converting a laser beam to electricity with photovoltaic cells work?

The process of converting a laser beam to electricity with photovoltaic cells involves using a material called a semiconductor, typically made of silicon, which absorbs the photons from the laser beam and converts them into electrons. These electrons are then collected and used as electricity.

2. What is the efficiency of converting a laser beam to electricity with photovoltaic cells?

The efficiency of converting a laser beam to electricity with photovoltaic cells varies depending on the type of photovoltaic cell used, the intensity and wavelength of the laser beam, and other factors. Typically, the efficiency ranges from 15-30%, but research is being done to increase this efficiency.

3. Can any type of laser beam be used to generate electricity with photovoltaic cells?

No, not all laser beams can be used to generate electricity with photovoltaic cells. The laser beam must have a specific wavelength and intensity to be absorbed by the photovoltaic cells and converted into electricity. Lasers with longer wavelengths, such as infrared, are typically more efficient at generating electricity with photovoltaic cells.

4. What are the potential applications of converting laser beams to electricity with photovoltaic cells?

Converting laser beams to electricity with photovoltaic cells has various potential applications, including powering remote or hard-to-reach locations, generating electricity in space, and improving the efficiency of solar panels. It can also be used in communication systems, where laser beams can be used to transmit data and be converted into electricity at the receiver end.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to converting laser beams to electricity with photovoltaic cells?

One of the main challenges of converting laser beams to electricity with photovoltaic cells is the cost and complexity of the technology. Additionally, the efficiency of the process can be affected by factors such as temperature and the angle of the laser beam. There are also safety concerns, as high-intensity laser beams can cause damage to the photovoltaic cells and potential harm to humans or animals.