Show |x-a|< epsilon IFF a-epsilon < x < a+epsilon

• Thread starter Kinetica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Epsilon
In summary, the conversation is about a solution to a Real Analysis problem where the goal is to show that |x-a|< e if and only if a-e < x < a+e. The solution provided is deemed acceptable, but it is suggested to improve the style of the proof by using the \iff sign and combining the proofs from each direction.
Kinetica

Homework Statement

Hi! I am new to Real Analysis. Please let me know if my solution is alright. Thanks.
epsilon=e

Show that |x-a|< e IFF a-e < x < a+e

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume |x-a|< e. Prove, a-e < x < a+e

|x-a|< e
-e < x-a < e
a-e < x < a+e

Assume a-e < x < a+e. Prove |x-a|< e.

a-e < x < a+e
-e < x-a < e
|x-a|< e

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks okay to me.

Looks good to me to, but just to improve the style of your proof: when an operation is reversible, you can use the [itex]\iff[/itex] sign and combine your proofs from each direction into a single proof.

E.g:
[tex] \|x-a\| < \epsilon \iff -\epsilon < x - a < \epsilon \iff a - \epsilon < x < a + \epsilon [/tex]

Thank you, this is a great suggestion. My proofs are indeed full of organizational flaws.

What does the notation "Show |x-a|< epsilon IFF a-epsilon < x < a+epsilon" mean?

This notation is used in mathematics to represent the statement "the absolute value of the difference between x and a is less than epsilon if and only if x is between a minus epsilon and a plus epsilon."

Why is this notation useful?

This notation is useful for proving the convergence of a sequence or the continuity of a function. It allows us to show that as x gets closer to a, the values of x are within a certain range of a.

What is the purpose of the epsilon variable in this notation?

The epsilon variable represents a small positive number that can be chosen arbitrarily small. It is used to show that the values of x are getting closer and closer to a.

Can you give an example of how this notation is used in a proof?

Sure, let's say we want to prove that the sequence (1/n) converges to 0 as n approaches infinity. We can use this notation to show that for any given epsilon, there exists a value of n such that 0 < 1/n < epsilon. This proves that the sequence is getting closer and closer to 0 as n increases.

Is this notation specific to a certain branch of science or can it be applied to various fields?

This notation is not specific to a certain branch of science and can be applied to various fields, such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many different areas of science and research.