Complex Scalar Field and Probability Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities between the conserved current for probability and the conserved current for the free complex scalar field, as well as the potential implications of this relationship. It also mentions the connection between the Schroedinger field and the complex free KG field, and the need for a new interpretation when the probability interpretation fails.
jfy4
Hi,

I was looking at the lagrangian and conserved currents for the free complex scalar field and it looks like it has a striking similarity to the conserved current for probability:
[tex]
\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=\nabla\cdot \vec{j}
[/tex]
where [itex]j_i =-i(\psi^{\ast}\partial_i \psi - \psi\partial_i \psi^{\ast})[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the probability density. Then with the action
[tex]
\mathcal{L}=\partial_\alpha \psi^{\ast}\partial^\alpha \psi
[/tex]
the conserved current is
[tex]
j^{\alpha}=-i(\psi^\ast \partial^\alpha \psi - \psi \partial^\alpha \psi^\ast )
[/tex]
Then I had the thought that with the conservation of probability current, the above lagrangian appears to be a lagrangian for a free field of...probability. Now I'm aware that the complex scalar field is used to describe various spin-0 particles, but has anyone heard of any other possible thoughts on this lagrangian, maybe back when it was first put forward, or when anyone was just looking at relativistic quantum mechanics about 100 years ago?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's no coincidence. The so-called Schroedinger field described by a complex wavefunction in a Galilei invariant space-time goes into the complex free KG field. But when the probability interpretation of the current derived from phase invariance fails, a new interpretation is necessary, the electric charge one.

This is classic stuff described in a gazillion of books.

Good to know, thanks.

1. What is a complex scalar field?

A complex scalar field is a mathematical concept in which each point in space is associated with a complex number. It is often used in physics to represent the amplitude of a quantum field, such as the Higgs field.

2. How is a complex scalar field different from a scalar field?

A scalar field is a mathematical concept in which each point in space is associated with a single number, while a complex scalar field associates each point with a complex number. This allows for more information to be represented, such as both magnitude and phase.

3. What is a probability field in relation to a complex scalar field?

A probability field is a concept used in quantum mechanics to represent the likelihood of finding a particle in a particular region of space. In a complex scalar field, the square of the magnitude of the complex number at a given point represents the probability density for finding a particle at that point.

4. How is a complex scalar field used in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, a complex scalar field is used to represent the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces between them. It is an essential component in the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. Can a complex scalar field be visualized?

While a complex scalar field cannot be directly visualized, it can be represented graphically using contour plots or color maps to show the magnitude and phase of the complex numbers at different points in space.