Logic Statements: Understanding F(x) & \forall y (F(y)

• Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, these statements involve conditional statements, quantifiers, and logical relationships between them. The truth of one statement can depend on the truth of another, and the existence of certain elements can affect the truth of a statement. It is important to carefully consider the logical implications and meanings of these statements.
nobahar
Hello!

1) [tex]\forall x (F(x) \rightarrow \forall y (F(y) \rightarrow y=x))[/tex]
2) [tex]\exists x (F(x) \rightarrow \forall y (F(y) \rightarrow y=x))[/tex]
3) [tex]\forall x (F(x) \land \forall y (F(y) \rightarrow y=x))[/tex]
4) [tex]\exists x (F(x) \land \forall y (F(y) \rightarrow y=x))[/tex]

If 1) is true then 2) is true; if 1) is false then 2) may or my not be true
If 2) is true then 1) may or may not be true; if 2) is false then 1) is false

If [tex]\forall y (F(y) \rightarrow y=x))[/tex] is true then:
If 1) is true then 2) is true; if 1) is false then 2) may or my not be true
If 2) is true then 1) may or may not be true; if 2) is false then 1) is false

If [tex]\forall y (F(y) \rightarrow y=x))[/tex] is false then:
3) and 4) are always false.

I understand [tex](F(x) \rightarrow \forall y (F(y) \rightarrow y=x))[/tex] to mean that if F(x) is true then [tex]\forall y (F(y) \rightarrow y=x))[/tex] is true. So the first two are determined by whether or not all x or there is some x that make F(x) true. I understand [tex](F(x) \land \forall y (F(y) \rightarrow y=x))[/tex] to mean that they are independent, and F(x) and [tex]\forall y (F(y) \rightarrow y=x))[/tex] can be true or false separately.
Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for your question and for sharing your understanding of these statements. Your understanding is mostly correct, but there are a few things that I would like to clarify.

First, let's look at the statements 1) and 2). As you mentioned, if 1) is true, then 2) is also true, but if 1) is false, then 2) may or may not be true. This is because the truth of 2) depends on the existence of an x that makes F(x) true. If such an x exists, then 2) is true. However, if there is no x that satisfies F(x), then 2) is false.

Similarly, if 2) is true, then 1) may or may not be true. This is because the truth of 1) depends on whether or not all y satisfy the condition \forall y (F(y) \rightarrow y=x)). If all y satisfy this condition, then 1) is true. However, if there is at least one y that does not satisfy this condition, then 1) is false.

To address your question about 3) and 4), I would like to clarify that they are not always false. In fact, they are both equivalent to the statement \forall x (F(x)), which means "for all x, F(x) is true." This is because if F(x) is true for all x, then it is also true for any y (since y is also included in the "for all" quantifier). Therefore, \forall y (F(y) \rightarrow y=x) is also true for all x, making 3) and 4) true. However, if there is at least one x for which F(x) is false, then \forall x (F(x)) is false, and therefore 3) and 4) are also false.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of these statements. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. it is important to have a clear understanding of logical statements and their implications in order to accurately interpret and communicate scientific findings. Best of luck in your studies!

What is a logic statement?

A logic statement is a statement that is either true or false. It is used in mathematical and scientific reasoning to express relationships between variables and to make logical conclusions.

What does "F(x)" mean in a logic statement?

"F(x)" is a function notation, where "F" represents the function and "x" represents the input variable. It means that the statement applies to all values of x.

What does "\forall y" mean in a logic statement?

"\forall y" is a universal quantifier, which means "for all" or "for every". It indicates that the statement applies to all possible values of y.

How are logic statements used in science?

Logic statements are used in science to express relationships between variables, make predictions, and draw conclusions based on evidence. They help scientists to make logical and evidence-based arguments and to test hypotheses.

What is the difference between a logic statement and a mathematical equation?

A logic statement expresses a relationship between variables using logical operators such as "and", "or", and "not", while a mathematical equation uses mathematical symbols and operations to represent a numerical relationship. Logic statements are used in mathematical reasoning, but they can also be applied to other fields such as philosophy and computer science.