Possible Explanation for Red Flickering of Betelgeuse Star in the Night Sky

• Thread starter Johnahh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of a red flickering star, believed to be Betelgeuse. The person asks for the reason behind this flickering, noting that none of the other visible stars were doing the same. The response explains that the flickering is due to atmospheric effects and may be more noticeable with brighter stars. The person then mentions their confusion about the flickering being present for stars near the horizon and those near the star in question. Another person suggests looking at Sirius, which also experiences flickering due to the atmosphere when low on the horizon. The original person expresses gratitude for the responses and plans to check out Sirius.
Johnahh
so I was just looking up at the sky, as you do...
and I noticed one star was flickering red, I believe it was betelgeuse - as far as i could see on my sky map app.
Could anyone tell me the reasoning for this flickering? as none of the other stars visible were doing this - at least as far as i could tell.

thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
How close was it to the horizon? If star light has to pass through lots of horizon before it gets to you the range of flickering will be much greater than a star above it.

At least 45 Degrees above the horizon.

Even at that height, this flickering would just be atmospheric effects.

Betelgeuse is pretty bright too. Flickering is much harder to discern with dimmer stars. You will see the flickering of the dimmer stars through a telescope.

Although this makes sense I'm still a little confused. Stars that are closer to the horizon and stars that are near the star in question do not have this flickering?

Edit:@chemisttree - ok that makes sense now, your reply was posted while typing mine. :)

thanks

Take a look at Sirius just after it becomes visible. It looks like police lights, going from red to blue to white and everything in between thanks to the atmosphere when it's low on the horizon.

Funny, I was looking at Betelgeuse a few nights ago and wondered the exact same thing.

Thanks for your replies everyone.
I shall be sure to check Sirius out :)

1. What causes a star to flicker red?

Red flickering of a star is often caused by changes in the star's luminosity, or brightness. This can be due to a number of factors, such as changes in the star's surface temperature or fluctuations in its nuclear fusion reactions.

2. Is red flickering a common phenomenon in stars?

Yes, red flickering is a common occurrence in stars. In fact, many stars exhibit variations in their brightness and color over time due to natural processes within the star itself.

3. Can we observe red flickering with the naked eye?

In some cases, yes. If a star's luminosity changes enough, it may be visible to the naked eye as a faint flicker of color. However, most red flickering is only detectable with specialized equipment, such as telescopes and spectrometers.

4. Are there different types of red flickering in stars?

Yes, there are various types of red flickering in stars, each with its own underlying cause. For example, pulsating stars exhibit regular changes in brightness and color, while eruptive stars may experience sudden and dramatic changes in their appearance.

5. Can red flickering tell us anything about a star's lifespan?

In some cases, yes. The presence of red flickering in a star can provide clues about its age and stage of evolution. For example, pulsating stars are typically older and near the end of their lifespan, while eruptive stars may be relatively young and still forming.