How does a digital multiplexer work in communication systems?

In summary: Thanks!In summary, a digital multiplexer has a selector option which allows only one output to be sent at a time. This means that if you connect a demux to the output of the digital multiplexer, it will only receive the selected output from the digital multiplexer.
daredevil
Hi,

I have a question regarding digital multiplexers.

In communication systems, when we use mux, we can combine a lot of low bandwidth channels and transmit as a high bandwidth channel and then use a demux at the receiving end to split it back to the low bandwidth channels.

I saw the digital mux had a selector option which only sends one output at a time. So, this means that if we connect a demux to the output of the mux, it still will not get all the inputs inserted into the mux at the output of demux. But, only the SELECTED output at the mux.

I was wondering is this the way it works or have I got it wrong. Appreciate if anyone can clarify this for me.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Low bandwidth channels have high time periods. Now just consider N number of such channels. Then you sample each channels and reduce the duty cycle from 50 % to (50/N) %. Now you put variable offset before each channel so that they don't overlap. Then you can use mux to multiplex them and send all of them with N times bandwidth. Reverse is done at the receiver.

Kholdstare said:
Low bandwidth channels have high time periods. Now just consider N number of such channels. Then you sample each channels and reduce the duty cycle from 50 % to (50/N) %. Now you put variable offset before each channel so that they don't overlap. Then you can use mux to multiplex them and send all of them with N times bandwidth. Reverse is done at the receiver.

So, if we send low bandwidth channel by channel at a very fast rate, then we don't even need a high bandwidth channel. Just can send channel by channel using a low bandwidth channel

Appreciate if anyone could clarify the digital mux part.

Can someone explain to me if we can make the digital mux output all the inputted data as in a communication mux

daredevil said:
Can someone explain to me if we can make the digital mux output all the inputted data as in a communication mux

Could you give some specific examples of the communication systems that you are asking about?

You can combine lower bandwidth channels into a higher bandwidth channel, but there has to be some way to keep the different data streams separate so they can be demuxed at the other end of the high bandwidth channel.

For example, you can include addressing information in a packetized format, much like Ethernet handles lots of different low-bandwidth channels being combined into higher speed backbones.

Or you can use time division multiplexing, where each low-bandwidth channel has a pre-set timeslot in each overall channel period.

If you could post more specific details about your question, that would help us to try to help you out.

1. What is a digital multiplexer?

A digital multiplexer, also known as a "mux", is a device that is used to select and combine multiple digital input signals into a single output signal. This allows for more efficient use of data transmission and processing in digital systems.

2. How does a digital multiplexer work?

A digital multiplexer works by using a series of select lines to choose which input signal is transmitted through to the output. The select lines are controlled by binary inputs, allowing for a specific input to be selected and transmitted.

3. What are the applications of a digital multiplexer?

Digital multiplexers are used in a variety of applications, including data communication systems, digital audio and video production, and computer memory systems. They are also used in electronic devices such as cell phones, routers, and switches.

4. What is the difference between a digital multiplexer and a demultiplexer?

A digital multiplexer selects and combines multiple inputs into a single output, while a demultiplexer does the opposite by taking a single input and distributing it to multiple outputs. Think of a multiplexer as a funnel, and a demultiplexer as a splitter.

5. What are the advantages of using a digital multiplexer?

The use of a digital multiplexer allows for more efficient use of data transmission and processing, as well as reduced costs and complexity in electronic systems. It also allows for the consolidation of multiple inputs, reducing the number of required components and improving system reliability.