Circuit with 2 Batteries and 6 Resistors

In summary, the conversation involves the construction of a circuit with six resistors and two batteries with known voltages. The values for the resistors are given, and the positive directions for the currents are indicated by arrows. The problem asks for the potential difference between two points and the value of a specific current. The solution involves applying Kirchoff's laws for junctions and loops, and using the equation V=IR to find the desired values.
kjlchem

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with six resistors and two batteries as shown. The battery voltages are V1 = 18 V and V2 = 12 V. The positive terminals are indicated with a + sign, The values for the resistors are: R1 = R5 = 56 Ω, R2 = R6 = 157 Ω R3 = 118 Ω, and R4 = 97 Ω. The positive directions for the currents I1, I2 and I3 are indicated by the directions of the arrows. What is V4?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been trying to apply Kirchoff's laws for junctions and loops.

I picked 2 loops and got the following equations-

I4R4 +I6R6 = V2

R5I5 + R4I4 + R6I6 + R2I2 + R3I3 = V1

From the junction rule, I got that I1 + I3 = I5 = I2

I'm not sure if this is right though- I5 = I2 = I4 = I6

I don't know what to do next. I think I need another equation.

Attachments

• r.png
    r.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 3,037
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to step back from the analysis for a moment and ask yourself, "what is determining the voltage across resistors R4 and R5?"

Your picture is so small it's illegible. Can you post a bigger version?

vela said:
Your picture is so small it's illegible. Can you post a bigger version?

If you click on it, I think it gets bigger.

Okay, I got that part. Now, to find I3, can I use my equations and Kirchoff's laws?

Never mind! Got it! The problem also asks for the potential difference between V(a) and V(b).

Is this just V=IR where R= R6 and I=I2?

Yes, that's right.

How'd you figure out I3?

What is a "Circuit with 2 Batteries and 6 Resistors"?

A circuit with 2 batteries and 6 resistors is an electrical circuit that contains two power sources (batteries) and six components that resist the flow of electricity (resistors). The batteries provide the necessary energy for the circuit to function, while the resistors control the amount of current flowing through the circuit.

How does a "Circuit with 2 Batteries and 6 Resistors" work?

In a circuit with 2 batteries and 6 resistors, the batteries are connected in series, meaning that the positive terminal of one battery is connected to the negative terminal of the other battery. The resistors are then connected in parallel, meaning that they are connected to each other at both ends. This allows the current to flow through the circuit, passing through each resistor and being affected by their resistance values.

What is the purpose of using 2 batteries and 6 resistors in a circuit?

The use of 2 batteries in a circuit allows for a greater amount of energy to be supplied to the circuit, which can power more components or provide a stronger current. The 6 resistors are used to control the amount of current flowing through the circuit and can be adjusted to achieve the desired level of resistance.

What factors affect the performance of a "Circuit with 2 Batteries and 6 Resistors"?

The performance of a circuit with 2 batteries and 6 resistors can be affected by several factors, including the type and quality of the batteries and resistors used, the length and thickness of the wires connecting the components, and the overall design and layout of the circuit. Temperature and environmental conditions can also impact the performance of the circuit.

What are some common applications of a "Circuit with 2 Batteries and 6 Resistors"?

Circuits with 2 batteries and 6 resistors can be found in a variety of electronic devices, such as calculators, radios, and flashlights. They are also commonly used in electrical engineering experiments and projects to demonstrate the principles of electricity and circuits.