Triangle inequality for complex numbers: sketch of proof

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the inequality |z1+z2|≤|z1|+|z2| for complex numbers z1 and z2. The attempt at a solution involves using explicit calculations and the triangle inequality, but the final solution involves using complex conjugates to express absolute values.
Advent

Homework Statement

Show that if [itex]z_1,z_2 \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] then [itex] |z_1+z_2| \leq |z_1| + |z_2|[/itex]

Homework Equations

Above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried by explicit calculation, with obvious notation for [itex]a,b[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex]: my frist claim is not that the triangle inequality holds, just that I don't know to put a ? above the [itex] \leq [/itex] symbol

[itex] \sqrt{a} \leq \sqrt{b} + \sqrt{c} \rightarrow 0 \leq \sqrt{b}
+ \sqrt{c} - \sqrt{a} \rightarrow 0 \leq \frac{b+c+2\sqrt{b}\sqrt{c} - a}{\sqrt{b}+\sqrt{c}+\sqrt{a}}[/itex]
Now if [itex]z_1 = x_1 + i y_1[/itex] and [itex]z_2=x_2+iy_2[/itex]

and using again the conjugate of the roots expresion, the last equation is something like

[itex] 0\leq f(x_1^2,x_2^2,y_1^2,y_2^2)[/itex]

and so is true. can this be correct or may I write explicitly all the terms?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really don't think that's going anywhere. You should use complex conjugates to express the absolute values. [itex]|z|^2=z \bar{z}[/itex]. Start from [itex]|z_1+z_2|^2=(z_1+z_2) (\bar{z_1} + \bar{z_2})[/itex]

1. What is the Triangle Inequality for complex numbers?

The Triangle Inequality for complex numbers states that the absolute value of the sum of two complex numbers is less than or equal to the sum of the absolute values of the individual complex numbers. In other words, the length of the hypotenuse of a triangle formed by two complex numbers is always less than or equal to the sum of the lengths of the other two sides.

2. What is the importance of the Triangle Inequality for complex numbers?

The Triangle Inequality for complex numbers is important in many areas of mathematics, including complex analysis, geometry, and optimization. It allows us to prove important theorems and make geometric constructions, and it is also used in applications such as signal processing and control theory.

3. How is the Triangle Inequality for complex numbers proved?

The Triangle Inequality for complex numbers can be proved using the Pythagorean Theorem and the properties of complex conjugates. By squaring both sides of the inequality and simplifying, we can show that the squared length of the hypotenuse is always less than or equal to the sum of the squared lengths of the other two sides.

4. Are there any exceptions to the Triangle Inequality for complex numbers?

No, the Triangle Inequality for complex numbers holds true for all complex numbers. This is because the absolute value of a complex number is always a real number, and the real numbers obey the same rules as the lengths of sides in a triangle. Therefore, the Triangle Inequality applies to all complex numbers.

5. How is the Triangle Inequality for complex numbers used in other mathematical concepts?

The Triangle Inequality for complex numbers is used in a variety of mathematical concepts, including the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, the triangle inequality for vectors, and the triangle inequality for matrices. It also plays a crucial role in the proof of the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that every polynomial equation with complex coefficients has at least one complex root.