Second order differential equation question

In summary, the two functions y1=x^3 and y2=|x|^3 are linearly independent solutions of the differential equation x^2y''-4xy'+6y=0 on the interval (-\infty,\infty). Furthermore, the Wronskian of these two functions is equal to 0 for every real number x. This can be shown by evaluating the Wronskian on each piece of the interval, or by using the chain rule and rewriting the Wronskian as 0. Therefore, it can be concluded that y1 and y2 are linearly independent solutions of the given differential equation.
issacnewton

Homework Statement

Verify that [itex]y_1=x^3[/itex] and [itex]y_2=|x|^3[/itex] are linearly independent
solutions of the differential equation [itex]x^2y''-4xy'+6y=0 [/itex] on the interval
[itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex]. Show that [itex]W(y_1,y_2)=0[/itex] for every real number
x, where W is the wronskian.

Homework Equations

theorems on differential equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I need to check that y1 and y2 are the solutions of the
given diff. equation. y1 is easy. To prove that y2 is the solution,
I divided the whole interval [itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex], in three parts [itex]x>0\; ,x=0\;,\;x>0[/itex]. And then I showed that the diff. equation is satisfied on all the different
parts. So that means , y2 is the solution of the diff. equation

Now, to check the linear independence, let's consider the equation
[tex]c_1 x^3+c_2 |x|^3=0[/tex]

Now here I am stuck. How do I prove that [itex]c_1=c_2=0[/itex] for all values of x in
[itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex].

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:

Homework Statement

Verify that [itex]y_1=x^3[/itex] and [itex]y_2=|x|^3[/itex] are linearly independent
solutions of the differential equation [itex]x^2y''-4xy'+6y=0 [/itex] on the interval
[itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex]. Show that [itex]W(y_1,y_2)=0[/itex] for every real number
x, where W is the wronskian.

Homework Equations

theorems on differential equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I need to check that y1 and y2 are the solutions of the
given diff. equation. y1 is easy. To prove that y2 is the solution,
I divided the whole interval [itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex], in three parts [itex]x>0\; ,x=0\;,\;x>0[/itex]. And then I showed that the diff. equation is satisfied on all the different
parts. So that means , y2 is the solution of the diff. equation

Now, to check the linear independence, let's consider the equation
[tex]c_1 x^3+c_2 |x|^3=0[/tex]

Now here I am stuck. How do I prove that [itex]c_1=c_2=0[/itex] for all values of x in
[itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex].

thanks

Pick a couple of particular values of x. How about x=1 and x=(-1)?

Ok, if I plug those values of x, I get [itex]c_1+c_2=0[/itex]. But this just means that
c1 can be expressed in terms of c2...

Edit: Oh mistake.. another equation is [itex]-c_1 +c_2 = 0[/itex] which gives me
[itex]c_1=0\;\;, c_2=0[/itex] . so [itex]y_1\;,y_2[/itex] are linearly independent.

Now for the remaining part, I have to show that [itex]W(y_1,y_2)=0[/itex] for every real
number. So should I split the interval in 3 parts, since[itex]|x|^3[/itex] is not differentiable on [itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex].

Last edited:
IssacNewton said:
Ok, if I plug those values of x, I get [itex]c_1+c_2=0[/itex]. But this just means that
c1 can be expressed in terms of c2...

Edit: Oh mistake.. another equation is [itex]-c_1 +c_2 = 0[/itex] which gives me
[itex]c_1=0\;\;, c_2=0[/itex] . so [itex]y_1\;,y_2[/itex] are linearly independent.

Now for the remaining part, I have to show that [itex]W(y_1,y_2)=0[/itex] for every real
number. So should I split the interval in 3 parts, since[itex]|x|^3[/itex] is not differentiable on [itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex].

It's true that ##|x|## isn't differentiable at ##x=0##. But you are asserting ##|x|^3## isn't. Are you sure about that? Have you graphed it? Have you checked its right and left hand derivatives?

Ok I see that [itex]|x|^3[/itex] is differentiable on [itex](-\infty,\infty) [/itex]. But [itex] y_2 '[/itex] is a piecewise function now. So can wronskian be evaluated on different parts of the
interval [itex](-\infty,\infty) [/itex] ? The examples I have seen with the wronskian don't involve piecewise functions.

IssacNewton said:
Ok I see that [itex]|x|^3[/itex] is differentiable on [itex](-\infty,\infty) [/itex]. But [itex] y_2 '[/itex] is a piecewise function now. So can wronskian be evaluated on different parts of the
interval [itex](-\infty,\infty) [/itex] ? The examples I have seen with the wronskian don't involve piecewise functions.

Just evaluate the wronskian on each piece. Being piecewise defined doesn't really change things.

Ok that's what I thought. So its valid to evaluate wronskian on different parts of the interval. Can you give the link to such examples... my book on diff. equations (dennis g zill) doesn't have any ...

IssacNewton said:
Ok that's what I thought. So its valid to evaluate wronskian on different parts of the interval. Can you give the link to such examples... my book on diff. equations (dennis g zill) doesn't have any ...

I'm not sure why you'd need one. Just try it. If x>=0, y2=x^3 and if x<=0, y2=(-x^3). Just split it up like that.

By writing |x| as √(x2) and using the chain rule, you can show that [itex]\frac{d}{dx}|x| = \frac{|x|}{x} = \frac{x}{|x|}[/itex] without having to split it up into different cases. Then you can easily show that the Wronskian of x3 and |x|3, after some rewriting, is equal to 0.

Bohrok, if we write derivative like that, should not we worry about the case when x=0 . That where things get ugly..

IssacNewton said:
Bohrok, if we write derivative like that, should not we worry about the case when x=0 . That where things get ugly..

There's nothing ugly about x=0 in the original problem. I don't think Bohrok's hint really simplifies it. Just do it directly.

thanks... Dick..

What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of an unknown function. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems that involve acceleration, such as motion and vibrations.

What is the general form of a second order differential equation?

The general form of a second order differential equation is: y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = f(x), where y is the unknown function, p(x) and q(x) are known functions of x, and f(x) is a known function of x.

What are the methods for solving second order differential equations?

The most common methods for solving second order differential equations are: the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and the annihilator method. Other methods include Laplace transforms, power series, and numerical methods.

What are the applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model the motion of objects, electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and many other natural phenomena. They are also used in control systems, signal processing, and image processing.

How can I check if my solution to a second order differential equation is correct?

You can check the correctness of your solution by plugging it into the original differential equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation for all values of x. You can also check if your solution satisfies any initial or boundary conditions that are given in the problem.