Looking for Guidance: Physics Major-Math Minor

In summary: I'm really stoked about it ). I have a 2.78 GPA right now and I know that I can do better with hard work. My ultimate goal is to get a 3.0 and go straight into graduate school. That said, I am open to any advice that you can provide.In summary,

Do you find answering this insightful

• Please make your decision clear

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
VmanD
Hello To you all

I am new to the Physics Forum, so I am trying to learn all that I can. I hard difficulty with my Electrical Engineering program at my school, so I switched to be a Physics major with a minor in math. The problem is, I don't really know what I want to do in Physics. I new plan is to graduate with at least a 3.0 when I graduate ( I have a 2.78 right now) and try to go straight into graduate school for Aerospace Engineering(I have also considered Nuclear Physics, Particle Physics, and Astrophysics). I have heard from fellow students that its possible to work for a company that will pay for graduate school. That would be great, but I want a job that is actually good (ie pays relatively well for my degree level) and I am absolutely unsure of what companies do this kind of deal.

Also, I wanted to know if its possible to get an FE and then PE with a masters in Aerospace. I have looked up all the aforementioned graduate school programs on Bureau of Labor Statistics and I feel all of them are lucrative fields (which is a primary concern for me) and they are hold my interest.

Any advice would be helpful, but anything harsh will not be appreciated. Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get it. If you want to go into aerospace engineering. Then why not just major in aerospace engineering in your undergrad?? Wouldn't this route be incredibly easier than majoring in physics and then having to catch up?

Let me explain.

I go to Louisiana Tech University. We do not have an aerospace engineering program. In order to a bachelors, or let alone Masters, I would have to go another university (Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Texas at Austin or Arlington, etc.) I was planning on going out of state for Masters, but not for my bachelors. I am already 3 years in and I have two more to go.

VmanD said:
The problem is, I don't really know what I want to do in Physics.

Dangerous business. Choosing a major and then figuring out what you'll do with it is, in my opinion, doing it backwards. Doesn't mean it won't work. Your list of things you might want to do (Aerospace, HEP, Astrophysics) is so broad you really still don't have a goal.

Given that, I think what you want to focus on is collecting some useful skills. Programming. Instrumentation. Modeling. Maybe some others have some examples to add.

Note: Being able to calculate the magnetic field above a spinning charged disk isn't a useful skill.

Best of luck.

For schools that don't have an Aerospace program, the common thing to do is go into Mechanical Engineering. It's MUCH easier to get into an Aerospace graduate program coming from Mechanical rather than Physics.

I suggest that you either transfer to a uni that has aerospace. Or take a major that's more suitable, like mechanical engineering.

I understand all of your advice. I know that its not the best situation to be in believe me. I did know about he mechanical to Aerospace Dauden, and yes it would be more compatible. Is it possible that you all can tell me some of good things (grad school, job prospects) that a Physics undergrad with a Math minor can have. By the way, I am currently doing a internship involving UNIX navigation and programming in a research lab, so I have some programming experience.

Micromass, I understand what you are trying to say. I not knocking your logic on the matter since I asked the question. However, I know its possible to get into a Aerospace Grad program even with a Physics bachelor. Their will be unfamiliar material, but its very possible to do well with inter-disciplinary programs.

Going into Aerospace from Physics is definitely possible but that does not mean it's going to be easy. It seems like you want to have a career in Aerospace Engineering and are just interested in Physics. You can have Physics as a hobby without taking classes for it. Having it as a hobby while taking something more relevant like Mechanical engineering would ultimately make it easier for the transition to Graduate School.

I understand what you saying Dauden. I am optimistic for my future, but I need to face certain facts. As I said in my original post originally I struggled in EE program my university and physics is actually a big passion of mine that I enjoy and excel in (the low gpa is acutally due to bombing EE classes. It is more than a hobby to me (out of honesty). Ever since I've been in physics I have really enjoyed it and I have no regret in earning a degree in it. That being said I will take the hard road from physics to aerospace engineering if that's what I have to do. I have researched a lot of things on certain graduate programs, I just wish I could find more balance and clarity in what I want to do.

1. What career options are available for someone with a physics major and math minor?

There are many career options for someone with a physics major and math minor. Some common paths include research positions in academia or industry, engineering roles, data analysis and modeling positions, and teaching roles. This combination of skills can also be useful in fields such as finance, computer science, and environmental sciences.

2. How can I balance my coursework between physics and math?

It's important to have a good balance between your physics and math coursework. One way to do this is by creating a schedule that evenly distributes your classes between the two disciplines. Additionally, try to take courses that complement each other and build upon each other's concepts to deepen your understanding of both subjects.

3. Are there any resources available for students struggling in physics or math courses?

Yes, there are many resources available for students who may be struggling in physics or math courses. Most universities have tutoring centers or study groups specifically for these subjects. In addition, there are online resources such as Khan Academy and YouTube channels that offer helpful explanations and practice problems.

4. Is research experience necessary for a physics major with a math minor?

Research experience is not necessary, but it can be beneficial for a physics major with a math minor. It can provide hands-on experience and help you develop important skills such as data analysis and critical thinking. Additionally, research experience can make you a more competitive candidate for graduate programs or employment opportunities.

5. What skills do I need to succeed in a physics major and math minor?

To succeed in a physics major and math minor, it's important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and a passion for problem-solving. You should also have good critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to work both independently and in a team. Strong time management and organization skills are also important to balance the workload and meet deadlines.