What is the Electric Field Between Two Charged Plates?

In summary, the problem involves two square metal plates with side length L and a separation distance of d. One plate has a charge of +Q while the other has a charge of -Q. The question asks for the magnitude of the electric field between the plates, not close to the edge. The electric field is found using the equation E = sigma/epsilon, assuming that the distance d is small compared to L. The correct value for epsilon is 8.85 x 10^-12, not 8.55 x 10^-12.
lobstrain
Alright, here's the problem. You're told that there are two square metal plates with side length L and a distance d away from each other. One has charge +Q, the other -Q. Then they ask for the magnitude for the charge between the plates, not close to the edge.

Here's what I have so far: The electric field between them obviously isn't 0.

I've got sigma = (magnitude of charge)/area.
The electric field for one plate is E = sigma/(2 * epsilon).
Since the fields from both plates in between them point in the same direction, the total field would be E = sigma/epsilon.

This was going great until I realized the I still had an unused variable, distance d. I have no idea of what to do with it. I tried multiplying E by d, then dividing it by d, but I don't like the way those numbers look. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Separation distance d is immaterial to the electric field if d is small compared to L. Does the question go on to ask about the capacitance?

AM

Nope. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I have pictured (since there is no picture to go with the problem):

| - ---> +
| - ---> +
| - ---> +
L - <-d-> +
| - ---> +
| - ---> +
| - ---> +

For the record, L = 0.82m and d = 0.022m

I'm not sure if that would be considered a significant difference, but they gave me a value, so I'm scared to ignore it.

Last edited:
bu-du-bump!

I'm sorry,but to me the problem does not make too much sense.What's inbetween the plates??Vacuum,a conductive medium,a dielectric,what??
Besides,how would u get the charge?

Daniel.

Ok, I'll put it verbatim.

Two square metal plates are placed parallel to each other, separated by a distance d = 2.20 cm. The plates have sides of length L = 0.820 m. One of the plates has charge Q = + 2.70 x 10^-3 C, while the other plate has charge -Q. What is the magnitude of the electric field between the plates, not close to the edge?

lalalabump

Better listen to Andrew and ignore that separation distance. Note that the equation you are using for the field:
"The electric field for one plate is E = sigma/(2 * epsilon)."​
is only accurate for distances that are small compared to L. Use it. That's what they want.

lobstrain said:
Ok, I'll put it verbatim.

Two square metal plates are placed parallel to each other, separated by a distance d = 2.20 cm. The plates have sides of length L = 0.820 m. One of the plates has charge Q = + 2.70 x 10^-3 C, while the other plate has charge -Q. What is the magnitude of the electric field between the plates, not close to the edge?

That's something totally different.Here's something from your first post: "Then they ask for the magnitude for the charge between the plates, not close to the edge. "... :rolleyes:

Daniel.

Hahaha, I was doing it right the whole time. The only thing was that I kept putting 8.55 E -12 for epsilon instead of 8.85. Thanks guys!

1. What is an electric field between plates?

An electric field between plates is a region in space where electrically charged particles will experience a force. This force is due to the difference in electric potential between the two plates, and is represented by lines of force called electric field lines.

2. How is the electric field between plates calculated?

The electric field between plates is calculated by dividing the voltage (or potential difference) between the plates by the distance between them. It can also be calculated by multiplying the charge on the plates by the distance between them and dividing by the permittivity of the material between the plates.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between plates?

The strength of the electric field between plates is affected by several factors, including the distance between the plates, the voltage or potential difference between the plates, and the permittivity of the material between the plates. The presence of any other nearby charges or conductors may also affect the strength of the electric field.

4. How does the direction of the electric field between plates change?

The direction of the electric field between plates always points from the positive plate to the negative plate. However, as the distance between the plates increases, the electric field lines become more spread out, resulting in a weaker overall field. The direction and strength of the electric field may also be affected by the presence of other charges or conductors nearby.

5. Can the electric field between plates be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field between plates can be manipulated by changing the distance between the plates or the voltage applied to the plates. Additionally, the use of dielectric materials between the plates can increase the strength of the electric field by reducing the effect of any external charges or conductors. However, the direction of the electric field will always be from the positive plate to the negative plate.