Relationship of the Demagnetizing Energy to the Demagnetizing Field

In summary, the demagnetizing energy E_d is defined as the negative derivative of the demagnetizing field \vec{H}_d with respect to the material magnetization \vec{m}. To derive \vec{H}_d, the chain rule is used to evaluate the derivative of E_d with respect to \vec{m}, resulting in the definition of \vec{H}_d.
PotatoMerrick
Hello,

I'm currently reading material on micromagnetics. In these papers, authors define a quantity called the demagnetizing energy ([itex]E_d[/itex]) as
[tex] E_d = -\frac{1}{2} \int_V \vec{m} \cdot \vec{H}_d\;dV [/tex]
where [itex]\vec{m}[/itex] is the internal magnetization of a material sample of volume [itex]V[/itex] and [itex]\vec{H}_d[/itex] is the demagnetising field. The demagnetizing field itself is defined as the negative derivative of the demagnetizing energy with respect to the material magnetisation, i.e.
[tex] \vec{H}_d = -\frac{dE_d}{d\vec{m}} [/tex]
My problem is that I would like to know how to derive [itex]\vec{H}_d[/itex] by taking the derivative of [itex]E_d[/itex] with respect to [itex]\vec{m}[/itex]. This is as far as I have got (and I'm not too sure that this is correct)
[tex]\frac{dE_d}{d\vec{m}} = \frac{d}{d\vec{m}} \left( -\frac{1}{2}\int_V \vec{m}\cdot\vec{H}_d\;dV \right)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dE_d}{d\vec{m}} = -\frac{1}{2}\int_V \frac{\partial}{\partial\vec{m}}\left(\vec{m}\cdot\vec{H}_d\right)\;dV=-\frac{1}{2}\int_V\frac{\partial\vec{m}}{\partial \vec{m}} \cdot \vec{H}_d + \vec{m}\cdot\frac{\partial \vec{H}_d}{\partial \vec{m}}\;dV=-\frac{1}{2} \int_V \vec{H}_d\;dV - \frac{1}{2}\int_V \vec{m}\cdot\frac{\partial \vec{H}_d}{\partial \vec{m}}\;dV[/tex]
Could some kind soul please give me some pointers as to how to proceed and/or explain to me where I'm going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you in advance!The integral of the first term is just -1/2 times the total volume V, since \vec{H}_d is not a function of \vec{m}, so this term evaluates to -V\vec{H}_d. To evaluate the second integral, you need to use the chain rule and substitute in the definition of the demagnetizing field: \frac{dE_d}{d\vec{m}} = -\frac{1}{2}V\vec{H}_d - \frac{1}{2}\int_V \vec{m}\cdot\left(\frac{\partial \vec{H}_d}{\partial \vec{m}}\right)\;dV = -\frac{1}{2}V\vec{H}_d - \frac{1}{2}\int_V \vec{m}\cdot\left(-\frac{\partial E_d}{\partial \vec{m}}\right)\;dV = -\frac{1}{2}V\vec{H}_d + \frac{1}{2}\int_V \vec{m}\cdot\vec{H}_d\;dV = -V\vec{H}_d + E_d.Therefore, the derivative of E_d with respect to \vec{m} is\frac{dE_d}{d\vec{m}} = -V\vec{H}_d + E_d,which is equivalent to the definition of the demagnetizing field, \vec{H}_d = -\frac{dE_d}{d\vec{m}}.

1. What is the demagnetizing energy?

The demagnetizing energy is the energy required to demagnetize a magnet. It is a measure of the strength of the magnet and is influenced by factors such as the material and shape of the magnet.

2. How is the demagnetizing energy related to the demagnetizing field?

The demagnetizing energy is directly proportional to the demagnetizing field. This means that as the demagnetizing field increases, the demagnetizing energy also increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of the relationship between demagnetizing energy and demagnetizing field?

The relationship between demagnetizing energy and demagnetizing field is important because it helps us understand the behavior of magnets. It allows us to predict how much energy is required to demagnetize a magnet, and how changes in the demagnetizing field can affect the magnet's strength.

4. How does the shape of a magnet affect the demagnetizing energy?

The shape of a magnet has a significant impact on the demagnetizing energy. A long, thin magnet will have a higher demagnetizing energy compared to a short, thick magnet with the same magnetic strength. This is because the demagnetizing field is more concentrated at the ends of the long magnet, resulting in a higher demagnetizing energy.

5. Can the demagnetizing energy be reduced or eliminated?

The demagnetizing energy can be reduced or eliminated by using materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron or nickel, to shield the magnet from external magnetic fields. Additionally, the demagnetizing energy can be reduced by shaping the magnet into a more favorable configuration, such as a horseshoe or bar magnet.