Conductance of 2 bodies: Is it dependent on geometry?

In summary, the conversation discusses two conductors with different charges and potentials, which are then connected with a thin metallic thread. The goal is to prove that the amount of charge that flows from one conductor to the other is solely dependent on the geometry of the conductors, and not influenced by other factors such as potential difference. The use of the equation for a parallel plate capacitor is suggested to prove this.
Arkavo

Homework Statement

I have 2 arbitrarily shaped conductors with charge Q1 and Q2 with potetials V1 and V2 respectively. I then short them (connect with a thin metallic thread) now i have to prove that the amount of charge that flows from one to the other is: Only dependent on the geometry of the conductors.

Homework Equations

Does this behave like a capacitor, if so how?

Physics news on Phys.org
The voltages are with respect to something. There is capacitance between themselves and that something.

yes but how do i prove the original question? that charge transferred is independent of all factors except geometry and potential difference?

Perhaps look at the equation for a parallel plate capacitor. In particular the units. If the current depends only on quantities measured in meters or square meters then you've proved it depends on geometry.

I would approach this question by first defining some key terms and concepts. Conductance refers to the ability of a material to allow the flow of electric current, while geometry refers to the shape and size of an object. In this context, the question is asking whether the conductance of two bodies is dependent on their shape and size.

To answer this question, we can look at the equation for conductance, which is given by G = I/V, where G is the conductance, I is the electric current, and V is the voltage. From this equation, we can see that the conductance is dependent on both the current and the voltage. However, in this scenario, the voltage is constant (V1 and V2), so we can focus on the current as the determining factor.

When the two bodies are shorted together, the charges will redistribute themselves until the potential difference between them is zero. This is similar to a capacitor, where the charges on the two plates redistribute themselves until the potential difference between them is equal to the applied voltage.

The amount of charge that flows from one body to the other will depend on the geometry of the conductors. This is because the shape and size of the conductors will affect the distribution of charges and the resulting electric field. For example, if one conductor has a larger surface area, it will be able to hold more charges and therefore, less charge will flow to the other conductor.

In conclusion, the conductance of two bodies is dependent on their geometry, as it affects the distribution of charges and the resulting electric field. This behavior is similar to that of a capacitor, where the capacitance is dependent on the geometry of the plates. Therefore, the amount of charge that flows from one body to the other is also dependent on the geometry of the conductors.

1. What is conductance?

Conductance is the measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity. It is the reciprocal of resistance, and is measured in siemens (S).

2. How is the conductance of 2 bodies determined?

The conductance of 2 bodies can be determined by measuring the resistance between them and using Ohm's Law (G = 1/R). It can also be calculated by measuring the current passing through the bodies and the voltage across them using the equation G = I/V.

3. What factors affect the conductance of 2 bodies?

The conductance of 2 bodies can be affected by various factors, such as the type of material, temperature, and length of the bodies. Materials with high conductivity, such as metals, will have a higher conductance compared to insulating materials. Higher temperatures can also increase the conductance of a material.

4. How does the distance between 2 bodies affect their conductance?

The distance between 2 bodies can affect their conductance by increasing the resistance between them. This is because the farther apart the bodies are, the longer the path the electrons have to travel, resulting in a higher resistance and lower conductance.

5. How is the conductance of 2 bodies important in practical applications?

The conductance of 2 bodies is an important factor in various applications, such as in electrical circuits, where it determines the flow of current. It is also crucial in the design of electronic devices and equipment, as well as in industries that rely on the efficient transfer of electricity, such as power plants and transportation systems.