Water and copper heat capacity difference due to potential energy?

In summary, the heat capacity difference between copper and water is explained with a difference in potential energy change as the molecules are heated. The Dulong Petit law is incorrect, and the specific heat of hydrogen gas is much higher than the specific heat of solid uranium. Wikipedia states that water has the highest specific heat of all liquids, except for ammonia. Putting all of this information together, it seems that the hydrogen bonds breaking are responsible for the potential energy change in the graph.
pa5tabear
I was looking at this page and it explains the heat capacity difference between copper and water in terms of a difference in potential energy change as the molecules are heated.

What does that mean? I know water has polar bonding so is it due to the water molecules having much stronger attractions which must be weakened by the heating?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/inteng.html#c4

Science news on Phys.org
It's quite obviously wrong, so it doesn't really matter what they mean at that page.

One thing that matters regarding specific heat capacities of copper and water is that one gram of copper has different number of molecules compared to one gram of water.

Last edited:
jartsa said:
It's quite obviously wrong, so it doesn't really matter what they mean at that page.

One thing that matters regarding specific heat capacities of copper and water is that one gram of copper has different number of molecules compared to one gram of water.

I think you may be referring to the Dulong Petit law, which was an early law about the thermal behaviour of crystals.

jartsa said:

What is wrong in particular?

sophiecentaur said:
I think you may be referring to the Dulong Petit law, which was an early law about the thermal behaviour of crystals.

Somehow I just guess that if we want two materials with very different specific heats, then hydrogen and uranium are good choices.

Wikipedia tells us the specific heat of hydrogen gas is 123 times the specific heat of solid uranium.

There's no huge amounts of potential energy in hydrogen gas that could explain the huge specific heat. (that was the wrong explanation at the page)

Borek said:
What is wrong in particular?
Wrong type of heat capacity explained with an explanation that is wrong.

Text books explain that the heat capacity per mole is different in different materials, because molecules have different number of degrees of freedom ... or something like that.

jartsa said:
There's no huge amounts of potential energy in hydrogen gas that could explain the huge specific heat. (that was the wrong explanation at the page)

IMHO hyperphysics page explanation is perfectly correct, what is incorrect is overgeneralization and trying to apply the same logic to every other case.

pa5tabear said:
I was looking at this page and it explains the heat capacity difference between copper and water in terms of a difference in potential energy change as the molecules are heated.

What does that mean? I know water has polar bonding so is it due to the water molecules having much stronger attractions which must be weakened by the heating?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/inteng.html#c4

Interesting question, which I interpret simply as; "What does 'potential energy' mean in this context?"

Trying to find the answer myself, I watched a video, where a gentleman presented a graph showing "intermolecular potential energy".

Something similar to this:

400px-Lennard_jones_potential_force.png

Which still left me a bit bewildered, so I googled some more and ran across a paper by some Iranian gentlemen studying something called asphaltene. They had many similar graphs, including this one:

Intermolecular%20separation%20of%20asphaltene.jpg

Which kind of told me why the first graph, from right to left, curves down, and then up.
The x-axis in both graphs represents the distance between the molecules.

But neither graph told me where these forces came from, so I googled some more and ran across a video where a nice young lady described intermolecular forces:
Hydrogen bond
Dipole Dipole
Van Der Waals​
She stated that the Hydrogen bond was the strongest of the three, so I was leaning towards that as an explanation.

But it was just a hunch, so I googled some more and ran across a page, where they kind of imply that water is very weird, and made the following comment:

Water has the highest specific heat of all liquids except ammonia. As water is heated, the increased movement of water causes the hydrogen bonds to bend and break. As the energy absorbed in these processes is not available to increase the kinetic energy of the water, it takes considerable heat to raise water's temperature.

So putting this all together, if you look back at the first graph, I would imagine that you would start out on the far left hand of the graph, where the energy is positive, and as you add heat to the system, the hydrogen bonds breaking consume energy, which pushes you into the negative region.

My final guess is that the broken hydrogen bonds are responsible for the "potential energy" portion of the graph that you originally questioned:

intex.gif

Oh, and another thing, if you look at the molar heat capacities of water vs copper, water has a value only 3 times as high. And metals are all nearly identical!

Please don't take any of this as a true or accurate picture of what is really going on. As my name implies, I know nothing, and I look forward to a clearer explanation. :smile:

1. What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. It is measured in units of energy per unit temperature (e.g. J/K).

2. How does copper's heat capacity differ from water's heat capacity?

Copper has a lower heat capacity compared to water. This means that it takes less energy to raise the temperature of copper compared to water. Copper has a heat capacity of about 0.385 J/g•K, while water has a heat capacity of 4.18 J/g•K.

3. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. In the case of water and copper, potential energy refers to the energy stored in the bonds between their atoms.

4. How does potential energy affect heat capacity?

Substances with higher potential energy tend to have higher heat capacities. This is because it takes more energy to break the bonds between their atoms and raise their temperature. In the case of water, its high heat capacity can be attributed to its strong hydrogen bonds, which require a lot of energy to break.

5. How does heat capacity affect the heating and cooling of water and copper?

Due to its high heat capacity, water can store and release large amounts of heat energy without experiencing significant changes in temperature. This is why water is often used as a coolant in industrial processes. On the other hand, copper's lower heat capacity means it can quickly heat up and cool down, making it suitable for applications that require rapid temperature changes, such as in electronics.