Energetic Question Varification & help

• Thread starter SwAnK
  • Start date
In summary, Daniel calculated the power and energy used while ascending stairs. He explained that GPE and KE are both useful when calculating power, but KE requires trig. GPE is much simpler.
SwAnK
hey, we were asked to run up some stairs and find the power and then convert to horsepower.
Heres what i did. Converted my mass into Newtons, and got 644.84N.
The distance ran was 9.7m in a time of 3.7s.
using the formula W=F*DeltaD*cos(theta) I got a total energy of 6254.95J
Using P=W/t I got a power of 1690.53watts, and converted this into horsepower and got 2.265hp. Does this sound reasonable?
We also had to get the height of the stares...why? We were not asked to find GPE but I am guessing it plays some roll in the question.

Also, what would the ratio of GPE to KE look like going up the stairs? Because you are expending energy going up the stairs by increasing your GPE and you also had to use some energy to get your KE. My thought is that they would not be the same because it takes more energy to go up then down.
thanx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the geometry (the inclination angle & the distance traveled while climbing the stairs),then u can easily find the height,using the "sin" function in a right triangle...

Yes,the result of 2.265 horsepower sounds reasonable.

Daniel.

Sorry i musnt have been clear, i meant that i DO know the hieght it was 4.7m. I was wondering why we would need to know something like this in a question asked to find power. I am guessing it has something to do with potential energy
any ideas? and what about the ratios? (mentioned above)

I dunno,u haven't posted the text of the problem exactly,u know...

Daniel.

KE = PE. PE = F * h

You need h to know how much work you did, its not enough to know you went against a force.

Well,he computed the work and apparently forgot to add to this work done against gravity the KE of his movement...He's given the distance & the time,so that would give him an average velocity with which he can compute the KE...

Daniel.

Well he could have found the energy either using GPE or KE, they would both give the same result, but KE I believe would require some trig. GPE is much simpler :D

PE = MGH = MG (your weight) x H (height of climb)
PE = 644.84N x 4.7m = 3031J

Yay for inconsistencies. You either measured something incorrectly or reported the wrong figures. Either that or you were running up a 30 degree incline.

Last edited:
wouldn't you use you average velocity and then find KE, and add this energy to PE??
and then divide that number by time to get watts?

w= Fdcos(theta) is for a constant force or average force, i mean unless you're doing physics with calc. How did you find the force if you were running up the steps, was someone pushing you with a constant force up the stairs. I think you were probably supposed to use the graviational potential energy to find out how much power you used to get yourself to a higher gravitational potential. However, i don't really know what you were supposed to do so this is just a guess.

read above, i already did that, I am wondering about if u find GPE do u add KE to that to get total Energy?

Theres two different energies here. The energy provided by your body and the energy provided by GPE. You gain GPE and gain kinetic energy at the expense of the energy put out by your body. I would omit this part.

What I'm not getting is if you ascended 4.7meters, the work done should be mgh. 644.84*9.8*4.7 is 3030Nm. In 3.7s this is 819W, or about 1.1hp.

1. What is energetic question verification and how does it work?

Energetic question verification is a method used to measure the energy levels of a person or object. It involves asking a series of questions and observing the energy response through muscle testing or other energy testing techniques.

2. What types of questions can be used for energetic question verification?

Any type of question can be used for energetic question verification, as long as it can be answered with a simple "yes" or "no" response. Examples include questions about health, emotions, relationships, or any other aspect of life.

3. How accurate is energetic question verification?

The accuracy of energetic question verification depends on the skill and experience of the person conducting the test. It is important to choose a practitioner who is trained and experienced in this method to ensure the most accurate results.

4. Can energetic question verification be used for diagnosis or treatment?

No, energetic question verification should not be used as a replacement for medical diagnosis or treatment. It is a complementary method that can provide insights and information, but should not be used as the sole basis for making health decisions.

5. Are there any potential risks or side effects of energetic question verification?

Energetic question verification is generally considered safe and non-invasive. However, it is important to note that it may bring up emotions or memories that could be uncomfortable for some individuals. It is always best to discuss any concerns with a trained practitioner before undergoing energetic question verification.