Water and elastic collisions

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind splash back and elastic collisions. It suggests that the behavior of the water may be affected by the mass of the object and the shape of the container. The speaker also mentions a video that may provide more insight into the topic.
wally_moot
Now although this is silly and quite crude (You have been warned), it is a legitimate physics question. I was sitting on the toilet a few days ago and I got some splash back. I started thinking about elastic collisions and how no matter what, nothing is perfectly elastic (correct?). Why would the water come all the way back up to my... you know what and not just my cheeks. If water doesn't observe the behavior of an elastic collision, it must be a mass issue. Maybe the mass of water that gets splashed back up is less than the amount of the impacting mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can experiment by dropping different weights (and different shapes) into a bowl of water and see which splashes the highest.

In terms of energy, even with losses, a small amount of water can be shoved quite high while a lot of water won't.

The size and shape of the splash tends to depend on the shape of the container, the shape of the object landing in it, and the mass of the object.

How it falls is also important - you were not in a position to tell if your spoor dropped straight or did a bit of a rotation on the way down I suppose?

Likes 1 person
This might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XNDM4eAn1U

That's great: good find!

First of all, I appreciate your curiosity and willingness to ask unconventional questions. I understand the importance of questioning and seeking answers to even the silliest of ideas.

To answer your question, you are correct in stating that no collision is perfectly elastic, meaning that some energy is lost in the collision. In the case of water splashing back up from the toilet, there are a few factors at play.

Firstly, the shape and surface tension of the water droplets play a role in how they splash back. The spherical shape of the droplets allows them to resist deformation and maintain their form, causing them to bounce back up. Additionally, the surface tension of water allows it to stick to surfaces, which contributes to the splash back effect.

Secondly, the amount of water that splashes back up is also dependent on the angle and force of the impact. If the water hits the surface at a shallow angle with less force, it is more likely to splash back up. This is because the water has less momentum and therefore less energy to dissipate upon impact.

Lastly, it is also a matter of mass. The mass of the water that splashes back up is indeed less than the mass of the water that impacts the surface. This is due to some of the water being absorbed into the surface or evaporating upon impact.

In summary, the splash back of water in a toilet is a result of a combination of factors including the shape and surface tension of the water droplets, the angle and force of impact, and the difference in mass between the impacting water and the splashing water. I hope this explanation satisfies your curiosity and encourages you to continue asking questions and exploring the world around you.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

2. How does water behave during an elastic collision?

Water molecules behave similarly to other particles during an elastic collision. They will bounce off each other without losing any energy, as long as the collision is elastic and there are no external forces acting on the system.

3. What factors affect the elasticity of a collision between water molecules?

The elasticity of a collision between water molecules can be affected by factors such as the temperature, pressure, and concentration of the water. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase the elasticity, while higher concentrations can decrease it.

4. Can water molecules undergo inelastic collisions?

Yes, water molecules can undergo inelastic collisions, where some kinetic energy is lost during the collision. This can happen if there are external forces acting on the system, or if the collision is not perfectly elastic.

5. How is the elastic collision of water molecules important in everyday life?

Elastic collisions of water molecules are important in everyday life because they help to maintain the structure and stability of water. They also play a role in various processes such as heat transfer, diffusion, and chemical reactions in aqueous solutions.