Root Canals & Cancer: Is There Evidence?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Routaran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancer Root
In summary, a friend shared a website claiming a link between root canals and cancer, but the website's sources were questionable and flagged as malicious. A search on PubMed did not yield any relevant evidence supporting the claim. The website's author, Dr. Joseph Mercola, has a history of making unsubstantiated claims and has been ordered by the FDA to stop illegal claims.
Routaran
I recently had a friend on facebook share this website
Edit by mentor: link deleted
it suggests there's a causal relationship between root canals and cancer. Right off the bat, given the website name, realfarmacy, i was skeptical. I tried to check their sources and did a few searches on google and they all seem to come back to one place, Dr. Mercola
Edit: crackpot link deleted
The sources are listed on the bottom of the page. There was only 1 source that explicitly mentioned cancer but it was blocked by our corporate firewall and flagged malicious. The other sources had to do with raw food diets and bacteria in a person's mouth.

I went to pubmed and did a search there for root canal cancer but I didn't see anything relevant (I am a computer programmer so take that with a pinch of salt)

Is there any evidence to support this claim outside of what Mercola says?

Thanks,
Routaran

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
It's crackpottery.

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html

FDA Orders Dr. Joseph Mercola to Stop Illegal Claims

Many of Mercola's articles make unsubstantiated claims and clash with those of leading medical and public health organizations. For example, he opposes immunization [4] fluoridation [5], mammography [6], and the routine administration of vitamin K shots to the newborn [7]; claims that amalgam fillings are toxic [8]; and makes many unsubstantiated recommendations for dietary supplements. Mercola's reach has been greatly boosted by repeated promotion on the "Dr. Oz Show."

Likes 1 person

1. What is a root canal?

A root canal is a dental procedure in which the infected or damaged pulp inside a tooth is removed and the inside of the tooth is cleaned and sealed to prevent further infection.

2. Can a root canal cause cancer?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that root canals cause cancer. This myth may have originated from a discredited study from the 1920s that has since been proven to be inaccurate.

3. Is there any link between root canals and cancer?

No, there is no proven link between root canals and cancer. In fact, research has shown that there is no difference in cancer rates between individuals who have had root canals and those who have not.

4. Are there any risks associated with getting a root canal?

As with any medical procedure, there are some risks associated with getting a root canal. These may include infection, damage to surrounding teeth or tissues, and temporary discomfort. However, these risks are minimal and can be managed by a trained and experienced dentist.

5. What is the success rate of root canal treatments?

Root canal treatments have a high success rate of about 95%. This means that most patients experience no complications or issues after getting a root canal. However, it is important to follow proper oral hygiene practices to maintain the health of the treated tooth.

Back