Was electron scattering observed before it was exlained?

In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of an effect where a beam of electrons reflects when passing through a plane with a sudden increase in potential energy. This phenomenon was first explained by the wave model and was observed in 1926 by Davisson and Germer in their experiment on electron diffraction. This experiment was inspired by de Broglie's 1924 thesis proposing the wave nature of electron motion. It is also mentioned that the discovery of this effect was accidental.
box
If a beam of electrons pass through a plane where the potental energy abruptly increases but not enough to classically stop the electrons, some of the beam will reflect. Was this affect, or anything like it, ever observed before it was explained by the wave model?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think so. My understanding is that the first experiment demonstrating the wave motion of electrons was electron diffraction by Davisson and Germer in 1926.
Their experiment followed (and I believe was inspired by) de Broglie's 1924 PhD thesis proposing the wave nature of the motion.

Meir Achuz said:
Their experiment followed (and I believe was inspired by) de Broglie's 1924 PhD thesis proposing the wave nature of the motion.
I read they discoverd it by accident.

1. What is electron scattering?

Electron scattering is a phenomenon in which electrons are deflected from their original path when they encounter an obstacle or material, similar to how light is scattered when it passes through a medium.

2. When was electron scattering first observed?

Electron scattering was first observed in the late 19th century by British physicist J.J. Thomson during his experiments with cathode ray tubes. He noticed that the rays emitted from the cathode were deflected when a magnet was placed near the tube, indicating the presence of negatively charged particles (electrons).

3. How was electron scattering explained?

The explanation for electron scattering was provided by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913 through his atomic model. He proposed that electrons orbit the nucleus of an atom in discrete energy levels, and when they encounter an obstacle or material, they can be deflected from their path due to the repulsive forces between the negatively charged electrons and the obstacle.

4. Why is electron scattering important?

Electron scattering is important in understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic level and has applications in various fields such as material science, nuclear physics, and medical imaging. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as electron microscopy and particle accelerators.

5. Has electron scattering been observed in other particles?

Yes, electron scattering has been observed in other particles such as protons and neutrons. In fact, the study of electron scattering played a significant role in the discovery of the proton's substructure and the development of quantum chromodynamics (QCD), the theory that explains the strong nuclear force.