Solving the EMF Problem: Cross Sectional Area, Number of Turns & Revolutions/s

• Thread starter Pepsi24chevy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emf
In summary, the question is asking about the induced emf in a rotating coil in the Earth's magnetic field. This can be calculated using the equation for emf, which is the integral of electric field multiplied by the length, and the equation for voltage, which is equal to the product of the number of turns, the angular velocity, the magnetic field, and the cross sectional area of the coil. The value for the Earth's magnetic field can be converted to tesla and then used in the calculation. Additionally, the voltage can be represented as v=vmaxsin(omega t), where vmax depends on the magnetic field, number of turns, and other factors.
Pepsi24chevy
Here is the question. A coil rotates at 200 revoltuions per second in teh Earth's field. If the coil has a cross sectional area of 20cm^2 and has 1000 turns, approximately what emf is induced in the coil as a function of time?

I know emf= int of E*dL and that the voltage proudces across a coil is V= NwBA sin(wt). I guess what i don't get is what would i use for my B or do i need to use a different equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump :confused:

Unless I'm mistsaken, the B in the statement here is the Earth's B. The Value for Earth is .5 Gauss, an extremely weak number compared to the tesla. find a conversion factor to get that value in tesla and there's your B value. now remember, the voltage is also written as v=vmaxsin(omega t). V max is dependent abviously on your B field, you number of turns and so on. If you need more help or if that wasn't suficient, then let me know

What is the EMF problem?

The EMF problem refers to the issue of electromagnetic forces causing interference with electronic devices and systems. This can lead to malfunctions, disruptions, and potential health hazards.

How is the EMF problem solved?

The EMF problem can be solved by considering three main factors: cross-sectional area, number of turns, and revolutions per second. These factors can be manipulated to minimize the effects of electromagnetic forces and reduce interference.

What is the significance of cross-sectional area in solving the EMF problem?

The cross-sectional area refers to the area of the wire used in electronic devices. A larger cross-sectional area can help reduce the effects of electromagnetic forces, as it allows for a greater flow of current and reduces resistance.

How does the number of turns impact the EMF problem?

The number of turns refers to the number of loops or coils in the wire. Increasing the number of turns can create a stronger magnetic field, which can help cancel out the effects of external electromagnetic forces.

What is the role of revolutions per second in solving the EMF problem?

Revolutions per second, also known as frequency, plays a crucial role in solving the EMF problem. By adjusting the frequency, the magnetic field can be manipulated to counteract the effects of external electromagnetic forces.