PF PHOTO CONTEST - She Blinded Me With Science (11/23-11/29)

In summary, this conversation is about a photo contest on a science forum. The photo must have a main subject related to science, and the rules for the contest are outlined. Only one photo per member is allowed and it must be a photo taken by the member themselves. The topic of Earth science is discussed and clarified. Some members share their photos and one member shares a photo that does not qualify. The conversation then shifts to discussing a control panel for an accelerator beamline and ends with a member sharing a photo that is not an official entry.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
She Blinded Me With Science!

Since this is technically a science forum, this week's photo contest must have the main subject related to science. This includes anything that is clearly related to physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
No mathematics? :biggrin:

Ahhh I wish I still had my camera this contest is awesome!

What happened to your camera?

neutrino said:
What happened to your camera?
Stolen, along with a lot of her other possessions. :grumpy:

Sorry to hear that, scorpa. :(

How about Earth science?

matthyaouw said:
How about Earth science?

I would consider that to be part of physical science, so it qualifies. However, the picture must really be explicit that it has something to do with Earth science, such as pictures of various strata, etc... i.e. it simply cannot be a nice, scenic picture of some location.

Zz.

Quartz dike in gneiss. Cushing Formation, Cape Elizabeth, Maine:
http://www.mcschell.com/qdike.jpg

-GeoMike-

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here's mine.

This is our control panel where control everything in our accelerator beam line while running. As you can see, neatness often doesn't count, even though I try.

When I first learned on how to run the system, the big red button was the first thing that was pointed out. :)

IMG_5972.jpg

Zz.

pyroclastics2.jpg

Bands of pyroclastic Scoria (dark) and pumice (light) in a road cutting on Tenerife.

If it weren't for the road and the sky, one could easily mistake that for Jupiter's cloud belts!

OK, this was a tough photo, these are ice crystals which formed on the inside of a lid in our freezer.

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/Ice2.JPG

A bacterial biofilm

biofilmSmutans.jpg

Wow!, Can't wait to see more pictures.

neutrino said:
No mathematics? :biggrin:

is that really true? :frown: :confused: just in case it's not here's a scan i made around halloween one year:

[edit - picture does not qualify]

Integral said:
Here is something just a tad bit different. I captured this image using SpiraconLBA software. It is a laser beam profile. Different colors represent different energy densitys.

Er... hum.. I'm guessing this is a screen capture? If it is, then it doesn't really qualify as a photo in the traditional sense, which I think is the spirit of this contest.

Zz.

fourier jr said:
is that really true? :frown: :confused: just in case it's not here's a scan i made around halloween one year:

Unfortunately, that doesn't qualify. It has to be a photo that has a clear main subject on science. No mathematics (that may have a photo contest all to itself later).

You may replace your picture with something else, or I will have to delete it before I do the polling thread.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
When I first learned on how to run the system, the big red button was the first thing that was pointed out. :)

Gees, I would think you could at least use a secret abort code, or a retinal scan, or voice recognition - something a little more glamorous than an industrial grade E-Stop.

You guys have no imagination! :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Gees, I would think you could at least use a secret abort code, or a retinal scan, or voice recognition - something a little more glamorous than an industrial grade E-Stop.

You guys have no imagination! :biggrin:

Apparently, we also don't have any interior design ability either, judging from layout of our control panel.

:)

Zz.

Integral said:
Here is something just a tad bit different. I captured this image using SpiraconLBA software. It is a laser beam profile. Different colors represent different energy densitys.

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/contest/7389_far.JPG
[/URL]

Nice.

texxxxxxxxxxxxxt

fourier jr said:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2993/halloweenaw2.jpg
That's really nice. I love geometric constructions. :approve:

mrjeffy321 said:
Although this is not an official entry, the picture below is a combination of two pictures I took. The top picture is of a flame test using a variety of flame colorants to create a rainbow effect on the combustion of Sucrose with Potassium Chlorate. Underneath (between the two black lines), is a carefully cropped picture of a rainbow I made. Behold the visible EM spectrum.

Do not post pictures that are not part of the contest in this thread, per our rules. It will make my life a lot simpler when I compile them for the polling thread. Use Moonbear's Disqualified thread to post any additional pictures.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Er... hum.. I'm guessing this is a screen capture? If it is, then it doesn't really qualify as a photo in the traditional sense, which I think is the spirit of this contest.

Zz.

Ja. It is a screen capture... but the image was created by a camera...

I just remembered some other legit pics. I will replace the current image when I get home from work.

Cyrus, I noticed that the text did not survive the resizing.

Thats ok, 'cus I wasn't sure I wanted to post the text anyway.

ZapperZ said:
Unfortunately, that doesn't qualify. It has to be a photo that has a clear main subject on science. No mathematics (that may have a photo contest all to itself later).

You may replace your picture with something else, or I will have to delete it before I do the polling thread.

Zz.

oh alright i guess you'll have to delete it. :frown: :redface:

Just a reminder that you have 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

I was going through a "stack" of old photos and found one showing a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_electron_microscopy" . :smile:

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4323/temzy4.jpg

Two embryos of a nematode, with histone::GFP and gamma-tubulin::GFP labeling. The right is undergoing its first cell division (it is in metaphase), the left is undergoing its third division (just going into telophase).

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/3919/celldivisioncl6.jpg

Here is a picture I took of the Lagoon Nebula in Saggitarius (M8) through my Astro-Physics 6" f:8 apochromatic refractor. The hand-guided exposure was 20 minutes on Konika 3200 ASA film. The faint stars are very tiny and point-like - testimony to the quality of Roland Christen's objectives. The bloated large stars are due to the long exposure needed to get the fainter details in the nebula. Due to reciprocity failure, the very faintest details are not visible in this image, despite the long exposure time. Some day, I may join the present and get a digital imaging system so I can stack shallower exposures.

According to David Malin and Paul Murdin (Colours of the Stars, 1984) the Lagoon is an H II region that is ionized by some very hot young stars. These stars are members of NGC 6530 - an open cluster enveloped by this nebula. Note: I re-posted the image flipped 180 deg. to more closely follow the convention of North=Up.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1439/m8lagoonxv3.jpg

Science in the buff.

My office before finishing the interior, and my first project just after graduating. Annual budget: ~$2000. :biggrin:
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/338/ebikefirstpicsresizear7.jpg

Wow awesome pics so far!

Geomike has a sweet picture.

I have an idea for a picture, but I'll never get around to taking it. :(

A slice of a Thunder Egg; a type of geode and Oregon's state rock.

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/geode.jpg

ZapperZ said:
Since this is technically a science forum, this week's photo contest must have the main subject related to science. This includes anything that is clearly related to physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering.
This isn't really a science website:confused: