House: A Medical Homophone of Sherlock Holmes

• Thread starter Englishman
  • Start date
In summary: Um, I don't see anything much in it. It looks more like a placeholder entry to me. Am I supposed to see... something?
Englishman
I just started watching House, and it's the most unique show I've ever watched. It's just so good. I figured out that House is like Sherlock Holmes but in the medical sense. (He's a diagnostician) When I went on Wikipedia.org, and typed in House, I found out that it is a homophone of Holmes, and a lot of things in the show are modeled after the Sherlock Holmes series.

Physics news on Phys.org

Englishman said:
I just started watching House, and it's the most unique show I've ever watched. It's just so good. I figured out that House is like Sherlock Holmes but in the medical sense. (He's a diagnostician) When I went on Wikipedia.org, and typed in House, I found out that it is a homophone of Holmes, and a lot of things in the show are modeled after the Sherlock Holmes series.

Actually, Homes is a homophone of Holmes. House is a homphone of, er, ... :confused:

berkeman said:
Actually, Homes is a homophone of Holmes. House is a homphone of, er, ... :confused:

Okay. Hey, do you know how I would be able to become a PF Mentor?

Englishman said:
Okay. Hey, do you know how I would be able to become a PF Mentor?

Not by posting threads about fictional TV characters in the serious subject forums...:uhh: Moved to GD.

When I grow up I want to become a house.

Moonbear said:
Not by posting threads about fictional TV characters in the serious subject forums...:uhh: Moved to GD.

Oh. Okay, I apologize.

WarPhalange said:

What do you mean by, "I want to beceome a house?"

WarPhalange said:

You have to go to medical school for that. :biggrin:

berkeman said:
Do you mean that you want to become like House, like a diagnostician, or...?

berkeman said:

The idea of a character like House having once been a med student makes me cringe.

Moonbear said:
Perhaps more useful. :biggrin:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=35375
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=9029
(That should be quite a blast from the past for some.)

Wow. So here's the list of the first 20 Mentors -- cool :cool:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Ok here we go

1. Greg
2. Monique
3. Phobos
4. Sting
5. Zero
6. Kerrie
7. Integral
8. Tom
9. Janus
10. ahrkron
11. Hurkyl
12. HallsofIvy
13. Ivan Seeking
14. selfAdjoint
15. enigma
16. russ_watters
17. Another God
18. hypnagogue (Advisor)
19. chroot
20. Ambitwister (Advisor)

G01 said:
(Time to advertise my new article!:biggrin:)

Englishman, this library article will explain the different member levels at PF:

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=88

Very nice entry, G01. Well done. You might consider putting the past PF thread links that Evo and Moonbear and I linked to, into the Past Forum Threads section of your library entry. But it's up to you -- it stands well just as-is too.

berkeman said:
Very nice entry, G01. Well done. You might consider putting the past PF thread links that Evo and Moonbear and I linked to, into the Past Forum Threads section of your library entry. But it's up to you -- it stands well just as-is too.

Sounds good berkeman. I don't think I can add things to the "Recent thread list." I believe that is just a automatic process. Any new threads with the right words become listed there. I can possibly add them to the "See Also" link, though. Let me see what I can do.

Also, I noticed in one of those threads, Evo was talking about how she was never going to become a mentor! Two points:

1. Evo- Be confident! You can do it!:biggrin:

2.You told be you were always an all powerful and omniscient mentor... I'm...so... confused...My world view...collapsing...:cry:

berkeman said:

Um, I don't see anything much in it. It looks more like a placeholder entry to me. Am I supposed to see more?

Moonbear said:
Um, I don't see anything much in it. It looks more like a placeholder entry to me. Am I supposed to see more?

Did you move down to the extended explanation section?:confused:

G01 said:
Did you move down to the extended explanation section?:confused:

Oh! No, didn't even see that there. There's a big space and I thought the entry had just ended (it was off my screen). Nice!

G01 said:
Sounds good berkeman. I don't think I can add things to the "Recent thread list." I believe that is just a automatic process. Any new threads with the right words become listed there. I can possibly add them to the "See Also" link, though. Let me see what I can do.

Also, I noticed in one of those threads, Evo was talking about how she was never going to become a mentor! Two points:

1. Evo- Be confident! You can do it!:biggrin:

2.You told be you were always an all powerful and omniscient mentor... I'm...so... confused...My world view...collapsing...:cry:
I was promoted about a week after that post!

1. What is "House: A Medical Homophone of Sherlock Holmes" about?

"House: A Medical Homophone of Sherlock Holmes" is a television series that follows the character of Dr. Gregory House, a brilliant but unconventional diagnostician who solves medical mysteries with the help of his team. The show is heavily inspired by the works of Sherlock Holmes, with House's character being based on the famous detective.

2. Is "House: A Medical Homophone of Sherlock Holmes" based on a book?

No, "House: A Medical Homophone of Sherlock Holmes" is not based on a book. It was created by David Shore and premiered on Fox in 2004. However, the show does draw inspiration from the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and references to his stories can often be found throughout the series.

3. Who plays the main character, Dr. Gregory House?

The main character of "House: A Medical Homophone of Sherlock Holmes" is played by Hugh Laurie, a British actor and comedian. Laurie's portrayal of Dr. House has received critical acclaim and earned him multiple awards, including two Golden Globes.

4. Is "House: A Medical Homophone of Sherlock Holmes" medically accurate?

While the show does take some creative liberties for the sake of entertainment, it does strive to be medically accurate. The writers often consult with medical professionals to ensure that the cases and treatments portrayed on the show are realistic. However, some elements may still be exaggerated or dramatized for the sake of storytelling.

5. How many seasons of "House: A Medical Homophone of Sherlock Holmes" are there?

"House: A Medical Homophone of Sherlock Holmes" ran for eight seasons, with a total of 177 episodes. The show concluded in 2012, but fans can still enjoy re-watching the series or discovering it for the first time through streaming services.