Electrodynamics: AC-circuits and Kirchhoff

In summary: There is no error in your reasoning. What you are doing is valid and is what is known as the principle of superposition. This states that if you have a set of phasors that are all pointing in the same direction, and you add them together, the result will be the sum of the individual phasors.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

Please take a look at the attached circuit. I want to find the current through the capacitor, and of course I will use Kirchhoffs laws for AC-current.

In this case, ε(t) = ε_0*cos(ωt).

My question is: If this was an DC-circuit, I would define e.g. counterclockwise to be positive, and then go through the circuit. When I see an EMF which has the terminals the correct way (i.e. it wants to "send" the current through CCW), it gets a "+".

In this case with the AC-circuit, I don't know which way the EMF wants to send the current, because it changes. Should I always just give ε_0 "+"? Or does the direction in this case even matter?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Niles.

Attachments

• ac_circuit.PNG
    ac_circuit.PNG
    848 bytes · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
As for the case of a DC circuit, you may chose your reference direction arbitrarily. Just take care to stick to this direction throughout.

I have set CW to be positive, and I have solved it two ways:

1) Saying that the source has polarity as to send currect CCW

2) Same as #1, but CW.

When finding the current through the capacitor, the difference I get is in the phase angle. In #1 I get -1.25 and in #2 I get 1.25.

How is this to be interpreted? If anything, the difference should be 180 degrees?

Niles said:
I have set CW to be positive, and I have solved it two ways:

1) Saying that the source has polarity as to send currect CCW

2) Same as #1, but CW.

When finding the current through the capacitor, the difference I get is in the phase angle. In #1 I get -1.25 and in #2 I get 1.25.

How is this to be interpreted? If anything, the difference should be 180 degrees?
Not necessarily. The reference direction that you chose determines the direction of the positive phase angle. So in the first case you chose your reference direction as counter-clockwise and obtained a negative phase angle, i.e. the phase angle is in the opposite direction to your reference direction. In the second case you chose your reference direction to be clockwise and therefore obtained a positive phase angle, i.e. the phase angle is in the same direction as your reference direction.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
It does, but aren't I allowed to add 2pi, so both phase angles point in the same direction?

Niles said:
It does, but aren't I allowed to add 2pi, so both phase angles point in the same direction?
Yes. So as I said in my original post, the choice of reference direction is arbitrary - it doesn't matter as your answers will be the same.

But the phase-angles only point in the same direction, they don't have the same value; so how can the answers be the same?

Niles said:
But the phase-angles only point in the same direction, they don't have the same value; so how can the answers be the same?
Their value is relative the the initial direction that you chose. In the first case the phase angle is in the opposite direction to your reference direction (hence the negative value). However, in the second case the phase angle is in the same direction as your reference direction (and hence positive).

Note that both 'values' have the same magnitude and point in the same direction, therefore they are equal.

Ahh, I see. So I don't even have to add the 2pi to see it.

But when drawing a phasor diagram, projecting the phasor on the horizontal axis will give you the current. If I project the two phasors in this situation, they will give me the same current (i.e. that why I believed they had to differ by 180 degrees).

What is the explanation for this?

I don't mean to be annoying, but can you guys find the error in my reasoning?

1. What is an AC circuit in electrodynamics?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the current periodically changes direction. This is typically achieved through the use of an AC power source, such as a generator or transformer.

2. What is Kirchhoff's circuit law?

Kirchhoff's circuit laws are two fundamental principles in electrodynamics that describe the behavior of electric current and voltage in a circuit. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must equal the total current leaving the junction. The second law, known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of all voltage rises in the same loop.

3. How do AC circuits differ from DC circuits?

AC circuits differ from DC (direct current) circuits in that the current in an AC circuit constantly changes direction, whereas the current in a DC circuit flows in only one direction. This results in different behaviors and calculations in terms of resistance, impedance, and power.

4. What is the significance of resonance in AC circuits?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs in AC circuits when the frequency of the AC source matches the natural frequency of the circuit. This results in a significant increase in current and can have practical applications in devices such as radios and antennas.

5. How are AC circuits used in real-world applications?

AC circuits have a wide range of real-world applications, including powering homes and buildings, transmitting electricity over long distances, and operating electronic devices. They are also used in various industrial processes, such as welding and heating, and in medical equipment such as MRI machines. AC circuits are essential in our daily lives and are a fundamental part of modern technology.