Finding y in a projectile motion problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a golfer hitting a shot to an elevated green and the algebraic expression for the vertical component of the ball's velocity just before landing. The correct equation is v^2=v(initial)^2-2ay, which results in a value of approximately 8.6 m/s.
jenador

Homework Statement

A golfer hits a shot to a green that is elevated 4.0 m above the point where the ball is struck. The ball leaves the club at a speed of 15.0 m/s at an angle of 40.0° above the horizontal, which is the +x axis. It rises in the +y direction to its maximum height and then falls down to the green. Ignore air resistance.

What is the algebraic expression for the y component vy of the ball's velocity just before landing on the green? Calculate for the y component vy using this equation.

known:
v(initial)=15.0m/s
a_x= 0
a_y= 9.8 m/s^2
v_x (initial) = cos40*15 = +11.5 m/s

Homework Equations

i thought it would be v^2=v(initial)^2 + 2ay rearranged to solve for just v(y direction). therefore: square root of v(initial)^2 + 2ay.
y being the distance in the vertical direction.

also: for v(initial) i took the sin40*15 to get 9.6 m/s.

The Attempt at a Solution

when i plug this into my homework website, it tells me i am wrong. but this is the only kinematic that i can think of using only v(initial), y displacement, and acceleration. what's wrong with my equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
What value did you get? Did you use [itex]v_y^2=(v_0)^2_y+2ay[/itex] or [itex]v_y^2=(v_0)^2_y-2ay[/itex] ?

i used the equation LaTeX Code: v_y^2=(v_0)^2_y-2ay and rearranged it so it would be sqtroot(v(initial)^2 + 2ay). i think i got like -8.9 m/s, but the website told me i was wrong.

by the way i have to write it in a way solving for just v_y

Last edited:
jenador said:
i used the equation LaTeX Code: v_y^2=(v_0)^2_y-2ay and rearranged it so it would be sqtroot(v(initial)^2 + 2ay). i think i got like -8.9 m/s, but the website told me i was wrong.

v=final
u=inital

if you use v2=u2+2ay then you are saying that acceleration is acting upwards. The only acceleration in this question is gravity which acts downwards.So, you'd need to use v2=u2-2ay

1. What is a projectile motion problem?

A projectile motion problem involves calculating the trajectory and final position of an object that is launched into the air at an angle, with only the force of gravity acting on it. This type of problem is commonly seen in physics and engineering.

2. How do I find the initial velocity in a projectile motion problem?

The initial velocity can be found by breaking it down into its horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component is equal to the initial velocity multiplied by the cosine of the launch angle, while the vertical component is equal to the initial velocity multiplied by the sine of the launch angle.

3. What is the formula for finding the time of flight in a projectile motion problem?

The formula for finding the time of flight is t = 2 * v * sinθ / g, where t is the time of flight, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

4. How do I find the maximum height in a projectile motion problem?

The maximum height can be found by using the formula h = v² * sin²θ / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the initial and final heights are at the same level.

5. Can I use projectile motion equations for non-ideal conditions?

Projectile motion equations assume ideal conditions, such as no air resistance and a constant gravitational force. If these conditions are not met, the equations may not accurately predict the motion of the projectile. In such cases, more advanced calculations and simulations may be necessary.