How to make a personal photo-sharing site

• Thread starter Mech_Engineer
  • Start date
In summary: Coppermine-Gallery-2-Tutorial.phpIn summary, Coppermine gallery is a good option for a photo-sharing site. It is pre-made with several good looking themes, and it is easy to configure.
Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all, this seems like the best area for this question.

I have a personal website for my wife and I that we don't do much with these days, I'd kind of like to turn it into a family photo-sharing site that my wife and I can use to upload pictures for our extended family to look at and download if desired. Ideally, I would like to make it so uploads can be done on the site directly with an admin login, my wife uses Shutterfly right now so the closer to Shutterfly's interface the better...

What are the relatively painless options out there? I'd probably be willing to pay under $100 for a pre-packaged interface (Flash, HTML5, whatever) if it was really slick. I have experience installing/running my own phpBB forums and some basic Java and HTML programming, but I can't build this kind of thing from scratch if you know what I mean. I have Dreamweaver if that helps/hurts.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Filezilla is a free FTP transfer program, but the users would have to learn how to use it, since it's not a browser. It's similar to having two windows explorer windows open at ths same time, and you just use drag and drop to upload or download files.

Sure FTP is ok for moving bulk files, but it doen't show previews of pictures, and doesn't allow you to give context to a group of pictures like a photo-sharing site might.

What we want is basically Shutterfly or Facebook photo sharing, on our website (with full-res downloads available when logged-in). I'm sure there's got to be some kind of interface you can buy that provides this functionality.

Mech_Engineer said:
Sure FTP is ok for moving bulk files, but it doen't show previews of pictures, and doesn't allow you to give context to a group of pictures like a photo-sharing site might.
You could just have the users switch between two applications, one for viewing, one for transferring files. The free photosharing sites are OK, but they generally pester you with ads and want email addresses to send spam to all the viewers.

You're probably correct in there's probably some client / server app that combines photo sharing, viewing, grouping, and transfer feature that will work with a cheap web hosting service, but I"m not aware of any.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few of my semi-pro photographer friends use Flickr / MobileMe / Picasa for their image hosting / sharing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_photo_sharing_websites

We used to use PHP Album, but the first version contained a bug that, partnered with the older version of PHP the server used, allowed a Russian "pharmacy" to operate on our server for a while (then IT noticed quite a bit of odd behaviour and pulled the plug). That's been patched, but the lesson here is that, no matter what you use, you have to stay vigilant.

Thanks guys, those two projects look like a good start for what I'm after!

Feel free to chime in if you find anything else :biggrin:

I'm trying out Coppermine gallery for a start, we'll see how it goes. Coppermine has a nice set of pre-made themes that look pretty slick and seem easy to configure...

http://coppermine-gallery.net/

1. What is the first step in creating a personal photo-sharing site?

The first step is to determine the purpose and goals of your site. Are you creating it for personal use or for a specific audience? This will help you determine the features and design of your site.

2. Do I need to have coding experience to create a photo-sharing site?

While having coding experience can be helpful, it is not necessary. There are many website builders and content management systems (CMS) that offer templates and drag-and-drop features to help you create a site without coding.

3. What features should I include in my photo-sharing site?

Some common features of a photo-sharing site include the ability to upload and organize photos, social media integration, privacy settings, and the ability to comment and like photos. You may also want to consider adding filters and editing tools for users to enhance their photos.

4. How can I make my photo-sharing site stand out?

One way to make your site stand out is to offer unique features that are not available on other photo-sharing sites. You can also focus on a specific niche or audience, such as photographers or travelers, and tailor your site to their needs and interests.

5. How can I ensure the security of my users' photos?

To ensure the security of your users' photos, you can use encryption and secure server connections to protect their data. You can also offer privacy settings for users to control who can view their photos. Regularly updating your site's security measures can also help prevent any potential breaches.